The UN voted against us....Gee I'm SHOCKED!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
verte76 said:
I'm saddened to read your remarks about Israelis not having much fun, sarit, although I can only imagine how true that must be. It puts me to shame. I really should not complain about my life because I'm safe. I guess I'm just a wimp. :reject:

Don't fill like a wimp, that was not my intention. Everyone has its own problems and has the right to complain. Just be grateful for what you have, that's all.

And living in Israel doesn't necessarily makes you less of a wimp. Believe me, some of the guys I know here?.

Excelent posting sarit :up:

The occupation should end, and the PMs Israel has had over the years didn't exactly prove to be leaders rather than little politicians handling this conflict. But don't give the Palestinians the benefit of the doubt of not having any responsibility for their situation just as well.

I think that's the key - we shouldn't just look at the party we disslike, we have to think critically about both sides.
And most of the time there is no simple evil against good.

The REAL KEY is simply this: what are WE DOING TO HELP MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE? :ohmy:

If we live in fear and frustration and want to live in Peace and Friendship with ALL others - then what are we doing to bring that wish into reality?

And if we are not willing to be part of a positive change in our world, then your complaints fall on fallow soil with most people of good reason. :yes:

If life in Israel is so unbearable, then what steps are YOU taking to help it a place of Peace and Friendship for EVERYONE who lives there? That is something that would be interesting to hear about - not just always the complaints.

And, by the way, I come from a GERMAN JEWISH family who came to the USA in the late 1930's escaping Nazi Germany - so I hope no one is inferring that my comments about Zionist practices are a cover for anti-Semitism because THAT IS SIMPLY NOT THE CASE!
:wink:

I would be hating myself which I don't - I embrace my Jewish traditions but I am wise enough to also embrace Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism and Islam. :up:

And, sarit, just yesterday I thanked you from my heart for the poems you posted, so I don't know where your anger comes from.

And I will NEVER personally put down ANYONE in forums - that is childish and irresponsible. I talk in a broader scope because I can disagree with someone's idea without personally attacking them. That's just my style.:hug:

I wish EVERYONE in the Middle East and around the world Peace, Love and Prosperity..... with Justice for ALL.

Light ONE candle rather than curse the darkness.:angel:

Or as the B-man says:
KICK THE DARKNESS 'TIL IT BLEEDS DAYLIGHT! :bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

:ohmy: :eyebrow: What shocked me Actungb was when there was some kinda vote in europe about why there are soo many problems in the middle east-Ah, lovely: Israel!!! Oh-yah, right, that little o' country is just pickin' fights with every country around them-aren;t they?:madspit: The LAND BELONG TO ISRAEL!! It's not Israel putting THEIR fence ON Arab land! I am not the least bit surprized about the UN..when it comes to Israel Or the USA! :|

Jamila said:

If life in Israel is so unbearable, then what steps are YOU taking to help it a place of Peace and Friendship for EVERYONE who lives there? That is something that would be interesting to hear about - not just always the complaints.

I'm hard pressed to think exactly what this might be short of hoping you're not blown up the next time you get on a bus. Yeah, it's a morbid situation, but how do you change it?

Jamila said:

I think that is what the wall was going to accomplish

um... this isn't really important per se, but it's a technicality that's kind of one of my pet peeves.

Semites are people who speak a semitic language, including Arabs, Jews, Aramaeans, and some Ethiopians. Biblically they're traced back to the sons of Noah's son Shem.
The word "anti-semitic" is often used wrongly in the context of the Israeli/Palestinian conflict. Both groups are semitic.
That is all, carry on.

I'm going to get nit-picky here. Modern Jews have damn little Semitic blood in them. They have intermarried with every group they ever lived with for 2,000 years. Thus I don't really think you can properly refer to them as "Semites".

verte76 said:
I'm going to get nit-picky here. Modern Jews have damn little Semitic blood in them. They have intermarried with every group they ever lived with for 2,000 years. Thus I don't really think you can properly refer to them as "Semites".

Remember that there were Jews that never left Israel/Palestine and have lived in that area for thousands of years.

verte76 said:

Arguing the genetic purity of Semites/Jews/etc is not only something that can't be appropriately delt with here, but is completely off topic of this thread.

The reality is that 'anti-semitism' is defined in the modern english speaking world as:

Main Entry: an?ti-Sem?i?tism
Pronunciation: "an-ti-'se-m&-"ti-z&m, "an-"tI-
Function: noun
: hostility toward or discrimination against Jews as a religious, ethnic, or racial group

Now, back to the topic.

Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom said he doubted if Israel could trust Europe any longer as a negotiating partner.

Mr Shalom:
"I find myself challenged to convince the Israeli people that the European Union is a partner we can trust"

But EU envoy Javier Solana spoke of balancing Israel's security needs with the humanitarian needs of Palestinians.

Mr Solana:
"A country has the right to build a fence on its own territory but we believe the route of this fence is contrary to international law"

Jamila said:
The fact that no one else in this forum is responding to these obviously slanted and prejudicial statements toward the U.N. and without accepting the brutal and oppressive way that the state of Israel was even formed ( a war of attack to take over the land of Palestine) shows that your vicious statements full of negativity OFFER NOTHING TO HELP THE CAUSE OF INTERNATIONAL PEACE AND UNDERSTANDING. :tsk:

And international peace and understanding (let alone Justice for tens of thousands of Palestinian people forcibly removed from land that THEIR ancestors had lived on for thousands of years) are issues that U2 have held CLOSE TO THEIR HEARTS and even attempted to bring up at the Popmart concert in Tel Aviv, to a silent snub by the audience!:ohmy:

Charity and Justice must begin at home, or it does not live in your hearts. I say "NO MORE" to war, prejudice and negative posts. :down:

Offer us something POSITIVE - a solution which promotes Peace with Justice. This is what someone who professes to love and understand U2 would do. :angel: :hug:

Why is it every situation you bring U2 up in? U2 has nothing to do with this subject. And there is more then life then U2. I have been quiet just a little bit to long here. Sorry everyone1

Thank you for posting that.

Elvis said:

Arguing the genetic purity of Semites/Jews/etc is not only something that can't be appropriately delt with here, but is completely off topic of this thread.

The reality is that 'anti-semitism' is defined in the modern english speaking world as:

Main Entry: an?ti-Sem?i?tism
Pronunciation: "an-ti-'se-m&-"ti-z&m, "an-"tI-
Function: noun
: hostility toward or discrimination against Jews as a religious, ethnic, or racial group

Now, back to the topic.

Elvis, that wasn't meant as a value statement of any kind. I apologize for any offense that post might have caused but it's the historian in me, not any kind of polemics. That's not my style.

Jamila said:
And, sarit, just yesterday I thanked you from my heart for the poems you posted, so I don't know where your anger comes from.

I appreciated the fact that the poems meant something to you. But then your next post came and was completely one-sided and full of generalizations - exactly the opposite from what the poems are about. Everyone made mistakes and wrongs, not just one side.

As fare as for what I'M doing about it? Why I'm "just complaining"? Well, I vote for the party I believe in (or with the kind of corrupted politics we have-the one I least hate), I go to peace rallies when I have the chance, sign petitions. That's the least I can do. True, I'm probably not made from the same stuff Gandhi or Mandela are made of, but I think that that's just a bit to much to be asking from me...

I hope that there are no hard feelings.

u2philly said:

Why is it every situation you bring U2 up in? U2 has nothing to do with this subject. And there is more then life then U2. I have been quiet just a little bit to long here. Sorry everyone1

:up:

you said what I was wanting to say but couldn't bring myself to say

lop-sided votes do not always happen in a vacuum

Jewish settlements expand despite promises, opposition

- John Ward Anderson, Washington Post
Friday, July 23, 2004

Jerusalem -- Jewish settlements and illegal outposts are growing at a rapid pace in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, despite Israeli pledges to the United States to stop the expansion of such communities and dismantle some of them, according to Israeli government statistics and a report released Thursday by settlement opponents.

The growth is particularly pronounced in the Gaza Strip, where Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon has proposed removing all Jewish settlers and the Israeli soldiers who protect them, by the end of 2005. Sharon's disengagement plan is on hold as he tries to build support for it in his Cabinet and Israel's parliament.

According to a new report by the anti-settlement group Peace Now, Israeli settlements and outposts grew by more than 100 acres -- at least 60 acres added in the West Bank and about 43 acres in the Gaza Strip -- in the first six months of this year. At least 3,100 apartments are being built in the settlements, "in addition to the preparation of areas for construction of thousands of further housing" units, the report says.

The study included more than 50 satellite photographs and other pictures showing construction work and expansion at settlements and outposts between February and July. Before-and-after satellite images show the clearing of land, the construction of roads and the addition of greenhouses, trailers and homes.

The pictures "show without a shadow of doubt how these illegal outposts were expanded," Ephraim Sneh, a member of parliament from the main opposition Labor Party, said in a recent interview. "It shows that the government not only isn't dismantling settlements, it's expanding them with government funds."

Raanan Gissin, a spokesman for Sharon, said Israel believes it is permitted to build within existing settlement boundaries. As for outposts, he said, "Everything that is unauthorized and illegal will be removed once the legal proceedings are over."

"People are building up settlements and outposts every day in broad daylight," said Dror Etkes, head of Peace Now's Settlement Watch Team. "There's no way the government doesn't know about it."

In adopting a U.S.-backed peace plan called the "road map" 14 months ago, Israel agreed to freeze "all settlement activity" and "immediately" dismantle settlement outposts that had been erected since March 2001. The Israeli government says 28 outposts fall into that category; Peace Now says the real number is 51.

Back
Top Bottom