The uber-FYM thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PERSONAL
First Name: tim

POLITICAL (I know these apply to American politics, mainly because I know nothing about other places)
Republican or Democrat: neither, dems are too soft, republicans too war-like and restrictive
Liberal/Conservative/Centrist: liberal
Who should be the 2008 Presidential Nominee (either party): a revolutionary

ECONOMY
Tax Cuts: Good or bad?: not helping
Do you support the outsourcing of jobs?: hell no
Do you believe the economy is rising or recessing overall?: recessing
Do you think the falling value of the US dollar is good or bad?: not good
Do you believe that the Western economies are planning appropriately for the rise of the Asian economy?: no, westerners are soon to get their asses handed to them

SOCIAL
Do you believe the government should pay down the National Debt immediately?: yes
What should the government do with Social Security?: end it
Should the government focus more on funding health care or education (cannot choose "neither")?: health care
Do you believe the country's veterans are being adequately supported?: not as good as they should be
The Patriot Act: good or bad?: invasive
Gun Control: good or bad?: good

MILITARY
Do you think that the size of America's military is too large?: no
Should the military continue to build up its numbers?: sure
Should the government commit more money to military weapons research?: yes, but within reason
Should America disarm (some or all of) its nuclear weapons?: all of them
Nuclear testing: Should it stop?: yes
Ballistic Missile Defense: good or bad?: bad
Is a Draft needed to stabilise the situation in Iraq?: hopefully not
Should the Bush administration implement the Draft?: no
Should the US Government continue the War on Terror?: no
Pick one to attack (you can't choose "neither"): North Korea or Iran?: north korea

MORAL
Do you believe in a God/Supreme Being?: i don't know
Do you belong to any particular religion or denomination?: no
Are you a regular church/temple/synagoguegoer?: no
AIDS in Africa: is enough being done?: no
Do you support a woman's choice to get a legal abortion?: yes
Do you subscribe to the belief in Creation or the Theory of Evolution?: evolution
Do you believe that the Big Bang happened?: yes
Do you support the idea of euthanasia for the terminally ill or those in a permanent vegetative state?: yes
Should the idea of God or gods be taught in public schools?: it should be restricted, but it wouldn't kill to learn some history
Should the US continue the War on Drugs?: no
Should capital punishment for criminals continue?: no

WORLD
Should the US have gone to war with Iraq?: no
Should the US pull out of Iraq immediately?: yes
Should the US pressure South American countries to be harder on the drug producers?: no
Should the US pull out of Afghanistan immediately?: yes
Should the UN/US get involved in the situation in Darfur, Sudan?: no
Should the US be a member of the United Nations?: yes
Is the United Nations still relevant?: yes
Have developed nations done enough for tsunami aid?: no
Should China be a democracy or continue how it is going?: it should be a democracy, but capitalism could destroy it
If yes, how should this be done? US involvement?: not with military force
Should something be done about North Korea? If so, what?: north korea isn't really a threat, but a show-off country
Should something be done about the current situation in Cuba? If so, should it be tighter controls or should the US loosen sanctions?: loosen up
Should there be a European Union?: yes
Should Turkey be admitted to the European Union?: yes

PERSONAL
First Name: Sam

POLITICAL
Republican or Democrat: Republican
Liberal/Conservative/Centrist: Centrist/conservative
Who should be the 2008 Presidential Nominee (either party): John McCain.

ECONOMY
Tax Cuts: Good or bad?: We don't need them right now.
Do you believe the economy is rising or recessing overall?: I believe we are gaining, and hopefully it stays that way.
Do you think the falling value of the US dollar is good or bad?: Bad.
Do you believe that the Western economies are planning appropriately for the rise of the Asian economy?: I hope so.
Do you own stock?: No.

SOCIAL
What should the government do with Social Security?: Leave it the way it is. It's worked for 70-some years, and it prevents the elderly from going into poverty.
Should the government focus more on funding health care or education (cannot choose "neither")?: Tough one... education.
Do you believe the country's veterans are being adequately supported?: Not quite.
The Patriot Act: good or bad?: Good, I think it's good to take more precautions.
Gun Control: good or bad?: Good.

MILITARY
Do you think that the size of America's military is too large?: No.
Should the military continue to build up its numbers?: Yes.
Should the government commit more money to military weapons research?: Yes.
Should America disarm (some or all of) its nuclear weapons?: Tough question, there are odds either way.
Nuclear testing: Should it stop?: I think so.
Is a Draft needed to stabilise the situation in Iraq?: No.
Should the Bush administration implement the Draft?: No.
Should the US Government continue the War on Terror?: Absolutely.
Pick one to attack (you can't choose "neither"): North Korea or Iran?: Tough call. I don't trust either, I think Kim Jong Il is a nut, but I think Iran would be more likely to attack us. So Iran it is.

MORAL
Do you believe in a God/Supreme Being?: Yes.
Do you belong to any particular religion or denomination?: Non-denominational Christianity.
Are you a regular church/temple/synagoguegoer?: I attend about every two weeks, trying to go more often though.
AIDS in Africa: is enough being done?: No.
Do you support a woman's choice to get a legal abortion?: No, abortion is disgusting and inexcusable.
Do you subscribe to the belief in Creation or the Theory of Evolution?: I'm a creationist.
Do you support the idea of euthanasia for the terminally ill or those in a permanent vegetative state?: This is a tough question, I must say. I am certainly opposed to starving a person to death. I don't like the idea of euthanasia.
Should the idea of God or gods be taught in public schools?: There is a difference between teaching about beliefs and forcing beliefs. I think different religions should be taught as a way to understand different cultures, because religion is often a major formation of a culture.
Should the US continue the War on Drugs?: By all means.
Should capital punishment for criminals continue?: For heinous crimes, yes. However, I do think it should be more restricted, and I don't think it's necessary for single murders.

WORLD
Should the US have gone to war with Iraq?: Tough question. I support the removal of Saddam and the Baath party. I support the prevention of Qusay Hussein inheriting the dictatorship. I think the lack of bipartisanship is a result of us going in there, but we should be supportive of our troops anyways, and respect what they are doing to pacify a barbaric nation.
Should the US pull out of Iraq immediately?: NO.
Should the US pressure South American countries to be harder on the drug producers?: Yes, and stricter punishments should be enforced.
Should the US pull out of Afghanistan immediately?: NO.
Should the US be a member of the United Nations?: Tough question. We should work with them, but we should not submit to them as the final authority.
Is the United Nations still relevant?: Tough to say. I still think so, though.
Have developed nations done enough for tsunami aid?: I believe so.
Should China be a democracy or continue how it is going?: China's piracy is out of control because they have no dream or vision to embrace independence and financial freedom. They are born into a society where the government beats them over the head with a career forced upon them. Their population is a big issue, and I still find their one-child policy sexist and immoral.
If yes, how should this be done? US involvement?: Encourage more regions of China to experiment with capitalism. Financial freedom has encouraged some regions to try it, and it has been working well for those who have.
Should something be done about North Korea? If so, what?: Disarm Kim Jong-Il before the situation escalates.

PERSONAL
First Name: dandy/Kara

POLITICAL (I know these apply to American politics, mainly because I know nothing about other places)
Republican or Democrat: uh, I voted for the Green Party in our last federal election
Liberal/Conservative/Centrist: way out in left field :wink:
Who should be the 2008 Presidential Nominee (either party): preferably someone with a brain

ECONOMY
Tax Cuts: Good or bad?: for the working poor--good, for pretty much everyone else--bad
Should the Treasury Department raise or lower the interest rate?: good question
Do you support the NAFTA/FTAA agreements?: no
Free Trade or Fair Trade?: fair trade
Do you support Globalisation?: allow me to repeat, fair trade
Do you support the outsourcing of jobs?: generally no
Do you believe the economy is rising or recessing overall?: recessing, badly
Do you think the falling value of the US dollar is good or bad?: i think it's inevitable given the current state of the world. time will tell if it's a good or bad thing.
Do you believe that the Western economies are planning appropriately for the rise of the Asian economy?: are they planning at all?
Do you own stock?: no

SOCIAL
Do you believe the government should pay down the National Debt immediately?: i think there are more pressing issues that need immediate attention
What should the government do with Social Security?: no privitization
Should the government focus more on funding health care or education (cannot choose "neither")?: ideally both
Do you believe the country's veterans are being adequately supported?: no
The Patriot Act: good or bad?: evil
Gun Control: good or bad?: largely a waste of time, effort, and taxpayers' money

MILITARY
Do you think that the size of America's military is too large?: yes
Should the military continue to build up its numbers?: no
Should the government commit more money to military weapons research?: no
Should America disarm (some or all of) its nuclear weapons?: they're hypocrites if they expect everyone but them to disarm
Nuclear testing: Should it stop?: not sure, probably
Ballistic Missile Defense: good or bad?: ridiculous
Is a Draft needed to stabilise the situation in Iraq?: no
Should the Bush administration implement the Draft?: no
Should NORAD's funding be increased, decreased, or left as is?: i don't know enough about this to answer meaningfully
Should the US Government continue the War on Terror? please, no

MORAL
Do you believe in a God/Supreme Being?: no
Do you belong to any particular religion or denomination?: no
Are you a regular church/temple/synagoguegoer?: no
AIDS in Africa: is enough being done?: hell, no
Do you support a woman's choice to get a legal abortion?: yes, absolutely
Do you subscribe to the belief in Creation or the Theory of Evolution?: evolution
Do you believe that the Big Bang happened?: it's a distinct possibility
Do you support the idea of euthanasia for the terminally ill or those in a permanent vegetative state?: if that's what the person feels is the best solution, it should be his/her choice
Should the idea of God or gods be taught in public schools?: religion as a cultural phenomenon, as part of social studies
Should the US continue the War on Drugs?: not without a reality check
Should capital punishment for criminals continue?: no

WORLD
Northern Ireland: What should be done? Do you support one side or the other?:
Should the US have gone to war with Iraq?: no
Should the US pull out of Iraq immediately?: no, that would be even more irresponsible than the decision to invade in the first place
Should the US pressure South American countries to be harder on the drug producers?:
Should the US pull out of Afghanistan immediately?:
Should the UN/US get involved in the situation in Darfur, Sudan?: intervention is long overdue
Should the US be a member of the United Nations?: ideally, yes
Is the United Nations still relevant?: relevant, yes, effective, no
Have developed nations done enough for tsunami aid?: time will tell
Should China be a democracy or continue how it is going?: it needs to democratize (if that's what it chooses to do) on its own terms
If yes, how should this be done? US involvement?: there is a role for established democracies to assist in the election process (ex: Ukraine elections), but democracy should not be a foreign military intervention

Should there still be UN involvement in Bosnia?: not if it involves further *involvement* in human trafficking :mad:
Should there still be UN involvement in Kosovo?: Kosova should be independent, but that's a whole separate question...

Should something be done about the situation in Burma/Myanmar? If so, what?: more political pressure to free Aung San Suu Kyi, more education/awareness about the country and the politics in the Western world (about the world in general)
Do you support the detainment of prisoners at Guantanamo Bay?: no, Guantanamo is but one of many US violations of the laws of war

that's all i have time for now....

Dreadsox said:
Is a Draft needed to stabilise the situation in Iraq?:yes
Should the Bush administration implement the Draft?: yes
This is interesting...

http://www.sss.gov/

On October 5, 2004, the House of Representatives voted 402 - 2 to defeat H.R. 163, the bill cited as proof that the Selective Service was preparing to reinstate a military draft. The vote made official what has been a reality since January 7, 2003, when H.R. 163 was introduced despite nearly total opposition in Congress to restoring the draft. Without Congressional support, the draft cannot be reinstated. A similar bill languishes in the Senate.

Also...

http://www.sss.gov/statement.htm

STATEMENT

The Selective Service System's Role in the War on Terrorism

The Selective Service System remains in a standby, caretaker status. On Wednesday, September 18, 2002, in response to a question about the draft, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld indicated that there was "not a chance" of reinstituting the draft. According to Rumsfeld, the military is successful in attracting and retaining talented people in sufficient numbers.

It would take legislative action by the Congress and implementation by the President to reinstate a draft in an emergency.

The Selective Service System, like all Federal agencies, is ready to accomplish its missions. While no heightened measures have been undertaken to bring the Nation closer to reestablishing conscription, young men are reminded that they are still required by existing Federal law to register with Selective Service within 30 days of their 18th birthday. Late registrations are accepted, but not if a man is 26 years old or older.

You know what else is interesting?

...tell us a bit about yourself.
(first line in the thread)

These are people's opinions, nothing more nothing less.

Why would you choose to pick this one little response and make issue of it? You are the only one to politicize this thread.

Back
Top Bottom