The U.S. Responds to Haiti... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2004, 05:26 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:04 AM
The U.S. Responds to Haiti...

...with perhaps the most ironic statement that the Bush Administration has ever made.

Quote:
The United States condemned the violence and called on Aristide's government to respect human rights. State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said Haiti's problems will not be solved by violence and retribution.
But violence and retribution (e.g., Iraq and Afghanistan) are okay, if it involves the U.S.'s problems?

Good show, but, dare I say it, no one believes a damn word they say anymore, not even Bill O'Reilly. Now what does that say?

Melon

Old 02-10-2004, 06:50 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:04 AM
melon,

Its totally incorrect to compare what US soldiers have done in removing threats to the planet and making Afghanistan and Iraq better places to live with the senseless violence committed in Haiti. The US and coalition actions in Iraq were about insuring international security, not retribution and senseless violence.

Old 02-10-2004, 08:08 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

That same kind of "senseless violence" was the birth of our nation that we celebrate every July 4th.

Melon
Old 02-10-2004, 08:54 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

melon,

"That same kind of "senseless violence" was the birth of our nation that we celebrate every July 4th."

Haiti in 2004 is not the American Colonies in 1775.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:13 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
Haiti in 2004 is not the American Colonies in 1775.
You're correct. The U.S. in 1775 had a higher standard of living.

Melon
Old 02-10-2004, 09:56 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

I feel really badly for the people in Haiti. They have been through hell. Damn.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:46 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Melon,

So you think violence and retribution are warrented in Haiti? You also consider the actions of men and women of the US armed forces to be acts of violence and retribution?
Old 02-10-2004, 11:22 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
So you think violence and retribution are warrented in Haiti? You also consider the actions of men and women of the US armed forces to be acts of violence and retribution?
What I believe doesn't matter at all. The fact of the matter is that history is tainted with the justice of the victor. Had America lost the revolution, the American Revolt (a "revolt," after all, is a failed revolution) would just be a footnote in history, probably looked at derisively as a rebellion started by American aristocrats who felt snubbed at by the British.

And, as for Iraq and Afghanistan, if any other nation did what we did, the U.S. probably would have issued a similar condemnation. Acts of violence? I need not make a value judgment; let the Iraqi and Afghani corpses speak for themselves. And, as for retribution, all of it is to avenge the 9/11 attacks. I shall not make a value judgment on the morality of that vengeance either.

I mostly want to say that history is not as clear cut as a rigid State Department announcement.

Melon
Old 02-10-2004, 11:34 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

I mostly want to say that history is not as clear cut as a rigid State Department announcement.

Melon
this just in.....it was Osaddamas job to verifiably disarm.....
Old 02-11-2004, 12:15 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

melon,

"What I believe doesn't matter at all. The fact of the matter is that history is tainted with the justice of the victor. Had America lost the revolution, the American Revolt (a "revolt," after all, is a failed revolution) would just be a footnote in history, probably looked at derisively as a rebellion started by American aristocrats who felt snubbed at by the British."

Most of the people who fought in that war and were leaders, were not aristocrats. Even if it was simply an American revolt that failed. There would have been another one and another one until independence was achieved.

Ireland had many failed revolts, but no one lables them as footnotes. The fact that Ireland's revolts were defeated so many times did not change how it was viewed historically.

"And, as for Iraq and Afghanistan, if any other nation did what we did, the U.S. probably would have issued a similar condemnation"

Both actions by the US were acts of Self Defense against barbaric and dictitorial regimes that had killed millions of people and were threatening the world. The US has supported the military actions by other countries it felt was just in the past.

"Acts of violence? I need not make a value judgment; let the Iraqi and Afghani corpses speak for themselves."

The actions US forces took saved far more lives than it took. The goal was not to kill as many people as possible. The objective was not violence for the sake of violence.

I understand the difference between the murder of innocent civilians and the killing or incapicitation of those who's objective is to murder innocent civilians.

"nd, as for retribution, all of it is to avenge the 9/11 attacks. I shall not make a value judgment on the morality of that vengeance either"

It was not vengence, it was an action to prevent more lives from being lossed to the terrorist actions on the scale of 9/11.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:19 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

this just in.....it was Osaddamas job to verifiably disarm.....
This just in....a Lawyer in New York has stated that Saddam is an innnocent man, and that Bush should be thrown in jail.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:19 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
"And, as for Iraq and Afghanistan, if any other nation did what we did, the U.S. probably would have issued a similar condemnation"

[/B] Both actions by the US were acts of Self Defense against barbaric and dictitorial regimes that had killed millions of people and were threatening the world.
[/B]
From Websters

[Q]Main Entry: self-de∑fense
Pronunciation: "self-di-'fen(t)s
Function: noun
Date: 1651
1 : a plea of justification for the use of force or for homicide
2 : the act of defending oneself, one's property, or a close relative [/Q]

How exactly does Iraq fit this catergory?
Old 02-11-2004, 12:22 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

i wonder if Bush will put Aristide up at the Ritz in Boston the way Clinton did before he was put into office.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:23 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Read what Saddam's Iraq did in 1990/1991 and failed to do following the end of that conflict.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:32 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Does not meet self-defence.......

I do not need to read about it...I was in uniform at the time.....

last I knew...Kuwaitt, Saudi Arabia, and Iran are not part of the US.

Last I knew that was 13 years ago......He has attacked us how recently to call it self-defence how?