The Tory party leadership race

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beau2ifulday

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
There's been no thread on this (at least, I don't think there has), and since I always like to know how other people feel on this, I thought it was time to start one.

So, Liam Fox and Kenneth Clarke have been eliminated, which I guess everyone was more or less expecting. Do you want David Davis or David Cameron to take the helm?

David Cameron is clearly the favourite, but i'm backing David Davis. He has the advantage in terms of experience, and I find Cameron to be extremely pretentious. The drug allegations don't really concern me, but i'm not sure he's really going to do the party that much good (even if he is only 39).

I'm going with Davies. Firstly, he's from York. But, more importantly, I think that Cameron is far too much in the Blair mould to be a successful opposition leader. There ought to be a contrast between the two rather than being near identical IMO.

I would prefer the Tories never to return to political power, therefore I'm backing their most unelectable candidate. Initially I wanted Liam Fox to win, but now he's gone I'm going to have to hope for David Davies. I'll be worried if Cameron wins because in the event that the next election sees Cameron as Tory leader and Gordon Brown as Labour leader, I can see Cameron winning.

I'm also not a Tory supporter (or at least I wouldn't be if I could vote in UK elections) but have been following the leadership race. I do think that UK politics would benefit from some credible opposition so I do hope that the Tories can get it together to a degree. Whilst not knowing full details, it seems to me that Davis would be more of the same and would not be able to take the Tories to victory at the next election. Cameron might be able to appeal to traditional non-tory voters but I've got a feeling that his inexperience could be his undoing. The fact that he's now in the lead primarily on the strength of one speech at the party conference shows that there's more emphasis on style than substance at this point and I wonder if the tory party will actually have the debate that they really need - i.e. just what do we stand for and how can we appeal to urban Britain?

I have stuck with the party thru the last 2 elections, despite not being bowled over by their choice of leaders. Hague was ok, IDS a total waste of space and Michael Howard just got the entire election campaign this year totally wrong.

Clarke was the first name I thought of when I heard Howard was stepping down, but really, I knew he never stood a chance at all. Too many of the party are against him these days. If he was ever gonna become leader, it would've happened a long time ago, and indeed, probably should've. I think the party would look a lot different if Ken HAD taken over in the late 90's.

Now I go with David Cameron. I think he's a real breath of fresh air and just what the Tory party needs right now, and has done for sometime. This drugs past really means nothing to me. It is just that, PAST, and I don't think should be held against him by anyone. If he had served 4 years in the Scrubs for GBH or something, I might think slightly differently...but it really isn't that bad. It doesnt seem like too many of his own party are so far letting it get in the way of their own judgement of him, and I hope he goes on to win come December...:up:

Onto Cameron again, he also has impressed me with every single interview he has been involved in, and with each speech too. He was great on Question Time the other week too. And defended himself exceptionally well when questioned about his past.

We must have faith in the social and economic benefits of the free market. A real programme for prosperity will progressively remove the barriers to wealth creation in Britain today. We need to open ourselves to risk and treat adults like adults. The stock of regulations must be reduced: we should trust people to make their own mistakes and learn from them. And the flow of new regulation from the EU must also be reduced: our aim should be to take back control of employment and social regulation. ~ David Cameron

Very thumbsup

A_Wanderer said:
We must have faith in the social and economic benefits of the free market. A real programme for prosperity will progressively remove the barriers to wealth creation in Britain today. We need to open ourselves to risk and treat adults like adults. The stock of regulations must be reduced: we should trust people to make their own mistakes and learn from them. And the flow of new regulation from the EU must also be reduced: our aim should be to take back control of employment and social regulation. ~ David Cameron

Very thumbsup

talk is cheap

Back
Top Bottom