The Toll Grows Higher and Higher -6,100 to 7,800 have been killed. - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2003, 05:15 PM   #61
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 05:54 AM
Well the personal speedlimit depends on what you can see and how good your reaction is. It can be 160 km/h but it can also be 7 km/h

As long as there is no UN control or free elected government it's the job of the invador to take care of that country. As long as there is no UN control or freely elected government in Iraq i would have problems to just send money because i'm affraid some american contractors would profit and not the Iraqi people.
Projects are another thing but as long as there is no peace in the region you can't send civilists there to rebuild the country.

Klaus

Old 10-05-2003, 05:55 PM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:54 AM
Klaus,

"As long as there is no UN control or free elected government it's the job of the invador to take care of that country. As long as there is no UN control or freely elected government in Iraq i would have problems to just send money because i'm affraid some american contractors would profit and not the Iraqi people."

Japan does not think so. Its obvious that if the German government wants to find an excuse not to help the Iraqi People, they can. Its obvious if they want to do nothing, they can find an excuse.

If Japan can send a Billion dollars a year to help with the reconstruction of the country, so can Germany. The Fact is, Germany has the technical ability to help the Iraqi people, but it looks like their not going to. Politics is more important to the German government that helping the Iraqi people. The War has been over 5 months. The United States and 29 other countries are in Iraq helping the people there rebuild their country from 30 years of rule under Saddam. If the German government does not help when they have the means to, its accurate to say that the German government cares more about minor politics than the welfare of Iraqi childern.

10 years from now, Iraqi citizens are going to remember who helped them and who didn't.

Old 10-06-2003, 08:26 AM   #63
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
It's Japans right to think differently.
This case is much too complex to have just one right and one wrong opinion.

Let's see what in 10 years from now hapened in the world because of the new preemptive doctrine and if it made the world a safer place or not.

Klaus
Old 10-06-2003, 01:44 PM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Klaus,

"Let's see what in 10 years from now hapened in the world because of the new preemptive doctrine and if it made the world a safer place or not."

There is no "NEW" Pre-emtive doctrine. The use of force against Saddam was authorized by multiple UN resolutions. If any thing, the UN is strengthened by the enforcement of its most serious resolutions. In 10 years the world and especially the Persian Gulf region will be a far more secure place than it was 10 years earlier because of US and coalition actions.

Iraq in 10 years will be a democracy with a rising standard of living. The only question is, what will France and Germany be willing to contribute.

I have yet to see any good reason now that the war is over for France and Germany not to send reconstruction aid to Iraq. This obviously means they are to selfish to lend a hand or have no desire to see the US succeed in making Iraq into a secure, stable, and prosperous democracy. Perhaps they don't want to see the USA succeed in helping the Iraqi people have a brighter future, because it will cast and ever brighter light on the fact that they did not support the actions that led to this condition and they did not help after Saddam had been removed.

10 years from now, Iraqi citizens are going to remember who helped them and who didn't.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:58 PM   #65
Refugee

There definetly is a new unilateral and preemptive doctrine.

If you can't see what changed in the last years you won't understand why antiamericanism is on the rise again

Klaus
Old 10-07-2003, 03:46 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Klaus,

"There definetly is a new unilateral and preemptive doctrine."

I understand that there is an incorrect PERCEPTION that there is some NEW unilateral and pre-emtive doctrine.

The USA though, has always reserved the right to use conventional or nuclear weapons at any time if US National Security required it.

"If you can't see what changed in the last years you won't understand why antiamericanism is on the rise again"

The USA continue's to export over a Trillion dollars worth of goods and services every year. The USA has more stronger ties and relations with countries around the world than any other single country on the planet.

People predicted Arab governments would all be overthrown back in 1991 during the first Gulf War in response to the USA. They were wrong. They predicted the same when Afghanistan happened. They were wrong. They predicted the same when the current Persian Gulf War happened. They were wrong.

What is more important than random polls are what people as whole in various countries do with their actions. Their actions do not suggest the mass wave of anti-Americanism that the critics of US Foreign Policy suggest. When it comes to peoples actions, the level of Anti-Americanism worldwide is essentially unchanged from 10 years ago.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:06 AM   #67
Refugee

I can see a pattern here. The US left a lot of international contracts for example.

The US decisions to Kyoto and the ICC for example are as hot discussed as the Iraq war here.
When i traveled around this year i was surprised how people behaved different wen we talked about international politics. You can also see this on political debates on European TV.
the USA has bin a good example in the past. "The US do it this way" was a comon argument to do it the same way. Now it changed to the oposite.

That's why i think that antiamericanism is on the rise. Especially on the conservative side.
You won't believe it, but i'm getting into a position where i mainly defend some American politics

Klaus
Old 10-08-2003, 08:12 PM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Well even if Anti-Americanism is on the rise in some places, it is not going to stop the USA from doing it feels to be right. Oh, and I must tell you that the popularity of France and Germany in the USA is not on the rise.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:44 AM   #69
Refugee

My statement wasn't created out of a "popularity contest".
I know that Germany isn't verry popular around the globe since WW I + II.
And i have no problem to "defend" the things the US does in most cases (besides kyoto, icc, etc)

The danger is somewhat different. In the former days most people wanted a stronger military of their country to support US actions, now they want stronger military to have a chance to stop them.

Klaus
Old 10-09-2003, 02:41 AM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Klaus,

"In the former days most people wanted a stronger military of their country to support US actions, now they want stronger military to have a chance to stop them."

Can you be a little more specific on who your talking about?

As far as Germany and Frances popularity in the USA, I was not refering to the World Wars but to the latest Persian Gulf War.
Old 10-09-2003, 04:24 AM   #71
Refugee

I was talking about the "people on the road". When i'm in a foreign country i like to talk to people of my age about politics.
And i've seen this year a change, especially at the conservative people i talked with for years. They are affraid of the US. They fear that friendship and international laws mean nothing if the countries are not strong enough to defend against a US military since there is no more "balance of power" since the western world won against the communists.

Klaus
Old 10-09-2003, 03:24 PM   #72
Refugee

Another 11 killed todayand 28 injured in Sadr-City.

After the terror attack people met at that placed and shouted anti-american paroles

A Spanish Diplomat and Militaryrattaché was one of the victims

Old 10-09-2003, 06:01 PM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Klaus,

Many people in America are sick of France and Germany and are less likely the next time to worry about whether they work with the USA or not. France and Germany need to figure out if they are more concerned about restraining American action or if they are more concerned about terrorism and rogue states.

Yes things are still difficult in Iraq, and I know that people who opposed the war will do everything they can to site every problems and ignore the good things that are happening in Iraq. Lets not forget the number of people who would have died in Iraq this past month if Saddam were still in power.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:46 AM   #74
Refugee

STING2:

exactly and i think we should worry about that transatlantic rift
Old 10-10-2003, 07:02 AM   #75
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:54 PM
I'd say the number that died this month far outcedes the number under Sadaam. That is pure supposition and what mood he was in. These are facts.