The Toll Grows Higher - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2003, 02:07 PM   #76
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:34 AM
I am tired of killings.

Old 10-26-2003, 10:48 AM   #77
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:34 PM
I am so tired of it too verte..

BAGHDAD, Iraq - In a daring strike, insurgents attacked the heart of the U.S. occupation Sunday, unleashing a barrage of rockets against the Al Rasheed hotel where U.S. officials live and where visiting Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz was staying. Wolfowitz escaped, but an American colonel was killed and 15 people were wounded.

Old 10-27-2003, 10:53 AM   #78
Blue Crack Addict

Just one soldier's story..

Bedford High graduate had 'a warrior's heart'
By Donovan Slack, Globe Correspondent, 10/27/2003

BEDFORD -- Seven M-1 rifles. Three shots each. Every deafening boom, punctuated by the clatter of spent shell casings falling to the pavement, wracked Alma Hart yesterday with a fresh round of tears.

Her only son, US Army Private First Class John Hart, had died in a barrage of gunfire and grenades in Iraq during an ambush Oct. 18 outside the northern city of Kirkuk.

As the 21-gun salute to his life echoed over a crowd of more than 600 yesterday outside St. Michael's Church in his hometown, the young soldier's father caressed his wife's hand with his thumb.

"Sleep does not come easily to me," Brian Hart said earlier, during a eulogy to his son at the memorial service. "I pace the house in the quiet of the night. I study the photos on the walls, one by one. Happy photos of a happy family. I see your face, your smile, your happy smile. Try as I might, though, I cannot hear the sound of your laughter."

Brian Hart described pictures of fishing trips and swimming lessons. Of Alma holding John as a baby. And of episodes that showed his son's indomitable smarts and sense of humor. On John's 4th birthday, Brian Hart bought him a puppy and told him the dog was not allowed to sleep in bed with him. Not wanting to disobey his dad, the young Hart slept on the floor with the dog instead.

"When you left for the war, I hugged you tightly. I put my head above your shoulder so you could not see my face. I could not look into your eyes," Brian Hart recalled, his voice cracking, "or you would see my tears."

Hart said he wished his son knew how his death had brought an entire town together in grief. "Do you know how Bedford is struggling? A town united now in sorrow. Did you know we loved you?"

Across the close-knit community yesterday, flags were flown at half-staff: at an American Legion post on Great Road, at an Exxon station next door. At the center of town, John Hart's face grinned from a large photograph surrounded by flowers at a roadside memorial.

Dozens of teenagers, many from Bedford High School where John graduated last year, crowded the pews during the service yesterday. Many stopped to offer a hug and some whispered sympathies to the Hart family.

"Even as John has lost his innocence, so we, too, as a community have lost our innocence," said US Air Force Chaplain Dennis Saucier. "How can this have happened here, to the boy next door? We search for answers, and there are no answers. None that make sense."

But the young Hart died doing what he had always wanted to do, his father said. John Hart participated in Junior ROTC all four years of high school, was cocaptain of the school's rifle team, and spoke often of his commitment to serve his country, especially after Sept. 11, 2001. Three months after graduation in June 2002, Hart enlisted in the Army. In April, he completed airborne certification, an achievement of which his father said he was especially proud.

"I know you had a warrior's heart," his father said in his eulogy. "You dreamed of being a soldier, and you lived your dream."

It was a warrior's memorial yesterday, the first of two services planned for Hart, whose body is en route to Arlington National Cemetery, where he will be buried sometime in the next two weeks.

Yesterday, Governor Mitt Romney personally delivered his condolences to the family after the service, which included a solemn chorus of taps and a military folding of the American flag.

John Hart's sisters, Rebecca, 16, and Elizabeth, 13, watched in silence as one of their brother's childhood friends and fellow soldiers, John Saucier, turned with a stiff salute and handed the triangular folded banner to their mother.

Alma Hart gingerly placed her right hand on top of the flag and held it there until the end of the service, when her husband led her away.

His mother at the service

Old 10-27-2003, 04:36 PM   #79
Blue Crack Addict

About 40 people, including one American soldier were killed today in Baghdad, in various bombings around the city.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:25 PM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

One of the local newspapers called this the "Ramadan massacre". Many of the people killed today were Iraqi civilians.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:32 AM   #81
Blue Crack Addict

crys

Well, it finally happened..

Attack on U.S. Tank Kills 2 GIs in Iraq

By SLOBODAN LEKIC, Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Two American soldiers were killed when their Abrams battle tank was damaged by resistance fighters, U.S. officials said Wednesday, as the number of U.S. soldiers killed in combat since major fighting ended topped the wartime total.

The latest deaths bring to 115 the number of American soldiers killed in combat in Iraq since President Bush declared an end to major fighting May 1. Defense Department figures updated on its Web site Tuesday show 114 U.S. soldiers died in the active combat phase, which began March 20.
Old 10-29-2003, 09:10 AM   #82
New Yorker

According to some news reports coming out of Saudia Arabia it's going to get much worse.

http://www.informationclearinghouse....rticle5094.htm

http://www.informationclearinghouse....rticle5095.htm
Old 10-31-2003, 11:13 AM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

OMG.......that is really scary. I had a feeling like this was going to happen.
Old 11-02-2003, 09:38 AM   #84
Blue Crack Addict

Chopper Shot Down in Iraq, Killing 15 GIs
7 minutes ago

By TINI TRAN, Associated Press Writer

FALLUJAH, Iraq - Insurgents shot down a U.S. Chinook helicopter over western Iraq on Sunday as it carried troops headed for R&R, killing 15 soldiers and wounding 21 in the deadliest single strike against American troops since the start of war.

The strike by a shoulder-fired missile was a significant new blow in an Iraq insurgency that escalated in recent days a "tough week," in the words of the U.S. occupation chief. Other U.S. soldiers were reported killed Sunday in ground attacks here and elsewhere in central Iraq.

The only day that saw more U.S. casualties came March 23, during the first week of the invasion that ousted Saddam Hussein.

The death toll surpasses one of the deadliest single attacks during the Iraq war: the March 23 ambush of the 507th Maintenance Company, in which 11 soldiers were killed, nine were wounded and seven captured, including Pvt. Jessica Lynch.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:13 PM   #85
Refugee

Local Time: 05:34 PM
i can't help it.

Why the **** are we there????????
Old 11-03-2003, 10:17 AM   #86
The Fly

Local Time: 04:34 AM
I wonder if any of the top officials is going to be held accountable for that. I don't know who it should be: the President, the Defense Secretary, the generals on the ground...
Dozens of people are killed in Iraq on a daily basis and nobody is responsible for that? Somebody has brought GIs there, somebody has given orders...
Mr. Rumsfeld, for instance...is he doing something else apart from regretting what happened and predicting that there will be more killed? We ALL know that there will be MANY more killed, one does not need to be a genius or a Defense Secretary to predict that. Now, if one occupies a top position in the government, they bear a special, enormous responsibility for every step they take. Because every step they take affects millions of people...
Old 11-04-2003, 10:29 AM   #87
Blue Crack Addict

U.S. Soldier Killed in Baghdad Bombing

By SLOBODAN LEKIC, Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Iraqi insurgents killed an American soldier in a roadside bombing in Baghdad on Tuesday, and Spain said it was withdrawing much of its diplomatic staff from Iraq for security reasons, the third coalition country to do so in the past two weeks amid mounting violence.

Another soldier was killed Monday and one other wounded when their vehicle struck a land mine in Tikrit.

The deaths brought the number of American soldiers killed in Iraq in November to 23, most in the weekend crash of a transport helicopter shot down Sunday west of Baghdad.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:02 AM   #88
War Child

Normal

In my paper yesterday, there was a picture of a girl on the front page crying holding her family portrait. Her brother had been killed in Iraq, and when they came to tell her mother, she died on the spot of a brain anyerysm (sp) Now she's got to bury 2. That should never have had to be.

It's nothing but a waste now. To stay out of hateful pride will only lead to a new Viet Nam and more dead. It's a disgrace. We cannot help Iraq because they don't like us. Let's get the hell out and let them do what they will.
Old 11-05-2003, 03:46 PM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

This thread has for the most part remained non-political. I think "Dreadsox" said it best that "it should remain that way". Political comments should be put in another thread.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:44 AM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:34 AM

From Reuters

Quote:
TIKRIT, Iraq (Reuters) - A U.S. Black Hawk helicopter crashed near Saddam Hussein's hometown in Iraq on Friday, killing six people on board, and U.S. soldiers said it had been probably been shot down with a rocket-propelled grenade.
Quote:
"At approximately 9 a.m. (0600 GMT) this morning a UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter went down," Major Josslyn Aberle of the 4th Infantry Division told reporters. "At this stage we don't know if it was due to mechanical failure or another reason."

But soldiers in Tikrit said initial reports suggested the helicopter had been hit by a rocket-propelled grenade.