The Toll Grows Higher - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2005, 06:36 PM   #286
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:34 AM
Since the link only covered half of 285 replies in a thread that a highly estimted longtime Interferencer named Dreadsox has started, I am relatively sure the starter of this thread would not complain about a short candle, so to say, for civilian victims.

However, I don´t want to distract you from counting dead American soldiers. Please go on.

Old 01-17-2005, 06:55 PM   #287
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
This thread is to honor the troops who have died in Iraq.

sorry sting

but, this is not true

re read the first 5-6 pages of this thread

btw,

The administration is manipulating the numbers anyway.

Old 01-18-2005, 05:11 AM   #288
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:34 PM

Whatever those pages say, the intention of the thread developed into a memorial thread. Anyone can start their own for other discussion purposes.

Maybe this thread should just be deleted-I thought it was one of the few "positive" things around here. I give up.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:23 AM   #289
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:34 PM
Please don't give up, MrsSpringsteen. You've done a better job than anyone of maintaining the spirit of the thread.

Do carry on, in spite of those who want to continue to bring arguments and discord into the one thread around here we've reserved for peace and prayer.

One last time, kids: Other discussion=new thread.

Thanks.

Join Amnesty.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:32 AM   #290
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

From Dreadsox himself, page 4...

Quote:

Come on guys...this thread has been freaking politic free for almost its entirety. Please...start your own thread to argue the points of troop rotations ect.

So, yeah.

Join Amnesty.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:21 AM   #291
ONE
love, blood, life

Having started the thread and looked at my first four pages of posts it was pretty clear to me that the thread was a memorial. Most people have been respectdul of its intent when warned. the thread gives me hope.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:33 AM   #292
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Right, paxetaurora. I didn´t bring in politics, did I?

I do think my comment was just in line with peace, prayer, and the memorial thread purpose. Just so everyone knows, peace and prayer are not meant to be exclusive. Never were, never will be.

However, I may also note that "peace/ prayer" and "post reports on/factual stories about coalition troops killed in Iraq" don´t necessarily mean the same thing.

Correct me if I´m wrong.

The intention of this post is not to steer further discomfort, but to make it clear that I am suspicious of the "us and them" mentality. If civilian victims are not even allowed to be mentioned here, you are following an "us and them" mentality. Therefore, your efforts regarding peace and prayer might be useless, because both peace and prayer only and exclusively work with a "we" mentality.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:51 AM   #293
Blue Crack Addict

I guess I was just so wrong to post all of those "counts" and "stories" I posted.

I won't post any more of them so as to not offend anyone here. It's me (us) vs them, and I don't give a damn about "them" .Thanks for the judgment and assessment of my character, I appreciate it. Usually I see things like this here and I just never say anything, it's not worth it to me to get stressed out over a msg board. And I try to maintain a calm and rational temperament on here, but this is worth it to me, well it was.

Once again, I give up.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:19 AM   #294
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Look, can we compromise here somewhat? The intent of the thread is to be peaceful/prayerful as we observe the deaths of those who fought in this war.

I personally have no problem with also noting woundings and civilian casualties, so long as we can avoid nastiness in this thread.

We all need to decide what we want this thread to be, or we need to close it and start over again.

Join Amnesty.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:43 AM   #295
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Just out of curiosity, how would folks feel about a poll? I could post one (in War, so as to discourage the non-War regulars from weighing in) and collect some thoughts from everyone, and whatever the majority rules, that's how this thread (or a new thread) will go and I will moderate accordingly and instruct the other mods to moderate accordingly.

Since I can see and partially agree with both sides of the argument, this seems fair to me. Any takers?

Join Amnesty.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:51 AM   #296
New Yorker

Sounds great Pax.

Mrs. Springsteen - I appreciate your postsvery much.
I do think the wounded should not be off limits.

Civilians in another thread maybe?
Old 01-18-2005, 10:59 AM   #297
ONE
love, blood, life

I now officially want to barf. A thread that has been respectful for how many pages is being disrupted for what? To make a point.

Every other poster, who has been reminded of the intent of this thread has followed the rules when asked to. Now we are going to vote on it after how many posts?

Why can't another thread be started to satisfy others. Why does it have to boil down to us against them?

Please do not close this thread.....It is approaching two years old...deal with the person.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:35 AM   #298
Blue Crack Addict

I agree w/ Dreadsox

I think it's very sad that there can't be a thread like this here w/ out problems being created over it. Not surprising, but sad nonetheless. Sorry, but I *think* I had the right to say what I said today after just keeping silent for so long about it.

This thread gave me hope too
Old 01-18-2005, 12:04 PM   #299
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Army Sgt. 1st Class Brian A. Mack

36, of Phoenix; assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 21st Infantry Regiment, 25th Infantry Division, Fort Lewis, Wash.; killed Jan. 13 when an improvised explosive device hit his military vehicle in Mosul, Iraq.

Army Pfc. Gunnar D. Becker

19, of Forestburg, S.D.; assigned to 2nd Battalion, 63rd Armor Regiment, 1st Infantry Division, Vilseck, Germany; died Jan. 13 of non-combat-related injuries in Mosul, Iraq.

Marine Lance Cpl. Matthew W. Holloway

21, of Fulton, Texas; assigned to 1st Battalion, 23rd Marine Regiment, 4th Marine Division, Marine Forces Reserve, Corpus Christi, Texas; died Jan. 13 of injuries sustained due to enemy action in Anbar province, Iraq.

Marine Lance Cpl. Juan R. Rodriguez Velasco

23, of El Cenizo, Texas; assigned to 1st Battalion, 23rd Marine Regiment, 4th Marine Division, Marine Forces Reserve, Corpus Christi, Texas; died Jan. 13 of injuries sustained due to enemy action in Anbar province, Iraq.

Army Spc. Michael J. Smith

24, of Media, Pa.; assigned to 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry, 2nd Infantry Division, Camp Casey, Korea; killed Jan. 11 when his military vehicle was hit by a rocket-propelled grenade in Ramadi, Iraq.

Army Staff Sgt. William F. Manuel

34, of Kinder, La.; assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 156th Infantry Regiment, 256th Infantry Brigade, Louisiana Army National Guard, Lake Charles, La.; killed Jan. 10 when an improvised explosive device hit his military vehicle in Baghdad. Also killed was Army Sgt. Robert W. Sweeney III.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:52 PM   #300
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

I see what both of you are saying, Dread and MrsSpringsteen, but it's not just "one person," as you put it--and their concerns are, I believe, valid.

It would still be possible to have one thread committed to memorials for coalition soldiers only. The poll I'm contemplating is going to have a lot of options.

I take some flak from time to time for how I, and others, mod FYM, but offer a democratic option and people don't like that either.

I'll post the poll later today.

Join Amnesty.