The Toll Grows Higher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm starting to wonder just what the hell an acceptable situation in Iraq will be to pull the troops out. Rome wasn't built in a day. I've just read these shockingly graphic books about life in Saudi Arabia. If Iraq has anything remotely in common with Saudi Arabia, and I think it does as both are Arabic and Islamic, I don't know what the situation will be like in a year. I just hope they don't go the way of the fundamentalist extremists. Those guys are evil. :mad: :madspit: :censored: :censored:

North of Baghdad, meanwhile, three U.S. soldiers were wounded in a grenade attack, a day after a U.S. military policeman was killed in a bombing

[Q]The killing of the military policeman occurred late Sunday night at an Iraqi police station near Baqouba, 40 miles northeast of the capital.

"We had a suspicious package dropped off at the Baqouba police headquarters and an MP with the task force went out to investigate it," Aberle said.

The MP was seriously wounded in the blast and taken to a military hospital, but later died of his wounds, she said. Two other MPs were wounded but were in stable condition Monday, she said.[/Q]

MP's are not trained to investigate suspicious packages. The are trained to seal off and wait for the bomb squad. I am increasingly worried that the troops we have in place are not being used correctly. I know it is easy to make an assumption based on this brief article, however, it makes me concerned.http://www.startribune.com/stories/1762/4036965.html

[Q][ Send this story to a friend | Most e-mailed articles | Easy-print version ]

U.S. soldier killed, another wounded in roadside bomb explosion
By Associated Press, 8/13/2003 05:04
TIKRIT, Iraq (AP) A U.S. soldier was killed and one was wounded Wednesday when their convoy hit a roadside bomb in northern Iraq, the military reported. [/Q]

http://www.boston.com/dailynews/225/world/U_S_soldier_killed_another_wou:.shtml

I heard this morning that all US troops there have been told they will serve a YEAR-does anyone know if this is true?

And I am so saddened and disgusted at the daily loss of soldiers

:(

Last edited:
MrsSpringsteen said:
I heard this morning that all US troops there have been told they will serve a YEAR-does anyone know if this is true?

And I am so saddened and disgusted at the daily loss of soldiers

We are stretched so thin right now it is not funny. The latest thing that I read was that they were going to be shifting troops out for two week vacations back here and then they would be sent back there.

Two U.S. soldiers were killed in Iraq, the U.S. military said Friday, bringing the number of American combat deaths to 179, 32 more than were killed during the first Gulf war.

Just an FYI, the total dead US soldiers since the President declared the War over is now equal to the total killed in the war.

[Q] Posted on Wed, Aug. 27, 2003

Troops frustrated as casualties mount in Iraq
BY DREW BROWN
Knight Ridder Newspapers

BAGHDAD, Iraq - (KRT) - Iraqi guerrillas killed two U.S. soldiers and wounded five in two separate attacks Wednesday, as many GIs expressed rising frustration over the inability to strike back at an unseen enemy and anxiety over the rising death toll.[/Q]

[Q]On Monday, two soldiers from the U.S. Army's 2nd Battalion of the 20th Military Police Brigade were killed when a bomb went off beside their convoy in southern Iraq. Another soldier was wounded.[/Q]

Today..

TIKRIT, Iraq - Guerrillas killed a U.S. soldier in a rocket-propelled grenade attack in central Baghdad on Monday, and American forces arrested five men suspected of helping finance insurgents during raids on homes in Saddam Hussein's home town of Tikrit.

The 1st Armored Division soldier died of his wounds early Monday in a military field hospital, the military reported. He was the 156th U.S. soldier to die in Iraq since President Bush declared an end to major combat on May 1. In heavy fighting before that date 138 soldiers were killed

3 more dead in an ambush today. 9/18/03 RIP

:scream:

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Three American soldiers were killed and 13 injured in a mortar attack and a bombing in the volatile region of central Iraq , the U.S. military reported Sunday. The deaths followed an assassination attempt against a member of Iraq's Governing Council.

Two soldiers from the 205th Military Intelligence Brigade were killed when mortars hit a U.S. base near the Abu Ghraib prison on the western outskirts of Baghdad about 10 p.m. Saturday. Thirteen other soldiers were injured in the attack. No prisoners were injured.

Shortly before the Abu Ghraib shelling, a soldier from the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment was killed when his Humvee was hit by a roadside bomb near Ramadi, about 60 miles west of the capital, the military said.

The deaths brought to 165 the number of American soldiers killed in Iraq since May 1 when President Bush declared major fighting was over

U.S. casualties have mounted amid the postwar insurgency. About 300 Americans have been killed and more than 1,200 wounded, according to the latest data. Many of the U.S. casualties since May 1, the day President Bush declared major combat operations over, have been a result of attacks on convoys.

If you are a U. S. enlisted person in Iraq the odds are greater than one in a hundred that you will be killed or wounded.

Of the 304 Americans that have died in Iraq from all sorts of factors since March 19, the beginning of the war, 195 have died from hostile fire. 80 Americans have died from hostile fire since May 1, the official end of major combat operations.

In August, 16 US troops were killed and about 64 wounded by hostile fire in Iraq. There was an average of 140,000 US troops in Iraq during August. Odds of being Killed or wounded were 1 in 1,750. Odds of being Killed were 1 in 8,750. Odds of being wounded were 1 in 2,188.

In August of 1968 in Vietnam, there were roughly 500,000 US troops in Vietnam. Based on the year end total statistics of 15,000 US troops killed and over 60,000 wounded for 1968, a total of 1,200 US troops were killed in August of 1968 in Vietnam. 4,800 were wounded. Odds were 1 in 83 of being killed or wounded in August of 1968 in Vietnam. Odds of being killed were 1 in 417 in August of 1968 in Vietnam. Odds of being wounded were 1 in 104 in August of 1968 in Vietnam.

The total number of Americans serving in Vietnam in 1968 was higher than the standing total at any one time of 500,000. Troops were being rotated in and out. Total number of Americans who served in Vietnam during 1968 probably numbered over a million although the standing number at any one time was not more than 500,000.

Several hundred thousand Americans have now served in Iraq. Most of the Units there during the war in March/April have been withdrawn and replaced with new units.

STING2 said:

Several hundred thousand Americans have now served in Iraq. Most of the Units there during the war in March/April have been withdrawn and replaced with new units.

I have a friend who's 31 year old son is a Captain in a tank brigade. Third infantry, they took Baghdad, he stayed in a "Saddam Palace". He got a leave to see his new baby, he has been redeployed back to Iraq.

US troops in Iraq 'to serve 12 months'
From correspondents in Baghdad
13aug03

THE commander of US forces in Iraq said today that American troops should expect to serve for at least a year, with brief rest breaks in the region and possibly a few days at home.

"It's a one year rotation," Lieutenant-General Ricardo Sanchez said.
"Every soldier has been told that they'll be deployed for a year, and then at the end of the year we'll be working to send them home."

But some of the 148,000 soldiers in Iraq said nobody had told them how long they would remain in the country, where guerrillas attack Americans daily and high temperatures reach scorching.

Pfc Deacon Finkle, 20, of Dallas, screwed up his face - red from the heat - when asked how long he would be in Iraq.

"Don't know. No idea," he said.

Special corporal Jeff Ross, perched atop a bridge overlooking Baghdad's dangerous Airport Highway, knew he was scheduled to be in Iraq for a year, saying: "We really don't have a choice".

"A year's going to be rough. It's going to be a long haul," said Ross, 22. "But I think we can do it. If it cools off a little bit it'll be all right."

The issue of soldiers' tours has been contentious, with troops and their families posting missives on the Internet criticising their government for keeping them in Iraq.

Some express concern about "mission creep", in which what begins as a swift war turns into a long-term occupation that could cause heavy American casualties as Iraqis become more and more sceptical of US promises to let them govern themselves.

Last edited:
"I have a friend who's 31 year old son is a Captain in a tank brigade. Third infantry, they took Baghdad, he stayed in a "Saddam Palace". He got a leave to see his new baby, he has been redeployed back to Iraq."

Most members of the 3rd infantry division are home in Georgia. The 12 month rotations did not start until the Summer. As units and individuals are leaving and coming in all the time, the 12 month rotation period will be different for every Unit as well as individuals not necessarily attached to their original units.

As of right now, nearly all of the 50,000 1st Marine MEF is back home. My best friend is still in Iraq though waiting for the Spanish to say their "ready". Once the Spanish troops are in place and "ready". The rest of the Marines will be able to come home.

The Army's 3rd infantry division, The 101st Division, a brigade of the 82nd Airborne Division, the 3rd Armored Calvary Regiment, all have been mostly withdrawn.

In their place, the 1st Armored Division, 4th Infantry Division Mechanized, 10th Mountain Division, 2nd Armored Calvary Regiment, more British soldiers, and the first Multi-national division have taken their place.

As all units have arrived or left at different times, the rotation cycle is mixed.

Come on guys...this thread has been freaking politic free for almost its entirety. Please...start your own thread to argue the points of troop rotations ect.

A member of the U.S. Army's 173rd Airborne Brigade has been killed and two others wounded in an attack in the northern Iraqi city of Kirkuk, the Coalition Press Information Center said Friday.

A rocket-propelled grenade struck a vehicle the soldiers were riding in Thursday night. The wounded were evacuated for treatment.

Since the war began in March, 307 U.S. troops have died in Iraq - 196 in hostile fire and 111 in "nonhostile" incidents, which include accidents

JAZEERA (Reuters) - A U.S. soldier was killed in Iraq on Monday, the 81st to die in action since the start of May, as American forces backed by helicopters fought guerrillas for hours in a restive area west of Baghdad

Back
Top Bottom