The Toll Grows Higher - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2003, 09:25 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:16 AM
[Q]Also on Saturday, another U.S. soldier died and two others were wounded when their convoy was attacked west of Baghdad near the Abu Ghraib prison.[/Q]

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0727iraq27.html

So much for the theory that things would settle down once the two sons were killed. This brings the total to FIVE killed in the past 24 hours. Four died yesterday and one died this morning.

Old 07-27-2003, 09:56 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

if anything it seems like attacks are accelerating.

Old 07-27-2003, 01:53 PM   #18
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 08:16 AM
German Tagesschau reports that guerillias attack the US forces approximatelty 12 times per day.

Klaus

ps They also report that according to "al jazeera" there was violence in Kerbala after US troops were spotted close a holy shiitic shrine there. One Iraqi was killed after tumults
Old 07-27-2003, 04:59 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
This has been one of the deadliest weeks for American troops since President Bush declared major combat operations over on May 1. Of the 104 Americans who have died in Iraq since then, 14 have been killed in the last seven days.
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/27/in...27IRAQ.html?hp
Old 07-27-2003, 10:29 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
if anything it seems like attacks are accelerating.
Yeah--this is scary. I feel so bad for the troops, and the families and friends of those who have been killed. This is just awful.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:02 AM   #21
War Child

I made a post on the FYM forum not knowing of this one, please move or merge, I'm sorry. How I feel is explained there, and I am outraged!

One thing I notice from this list of casualites is that most of them are very young and from small towns. They joined because they had no job opportunities and the military promised them either a career or money for college. It's so tragic how these lives were wasted. Yes, wasted, and the excuses are running out. Bring them home now!
Old 07-28-2003, 04:16 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

[Q]The military, meanwhile, reported a U.S. soldier killed in an attack in the capital, while guerrillas blew up a major civilian bridge in an attempt to disrupt the U.S. occupation. [/Q]

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...524EDT0637.DTL

[Q]In downtown Baghdad, one U.S. soldier was killed and three were injured Monday when an attacker dropped a grenade from an overpass onto a convoy, the military said.[/Q]

This is from today.http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...nguage=printer
Old 07-28-2003, 07:18 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

Yeah--this is scary. I feel so bad for the troops, and the families and friends of those who have been killed. This is just awful.

Katie, center, the wife of Army Sgt. Justin Garvey, is comforted following a graveside ceremony in Fair Haven, Vt., Monday, July 28, 2003. The others are unidentified. The 23-year-old Garvey was killed July 20 when the vehicle in which he was riding was ambushed near Tal Afar, Iraq. He was a member of the 101st Airborne Division
Old 07-28-2003, 08:22 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Leeloo
One thing I notice from this list of casualites is that most of them are very young and from small towns. They joined because they had no job opportunities and the military promised them either a career or money for college. It's so tragic how these lives were wasted. Yes, wasted, and the excuses are running out. Bring them home now!
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
So much for the theory that things would settle down once the two sons were killed.
Yeah, no kidding.

Angela
Old 07-31-2003, 12:42 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Two more deaths today :O(
Old 08-01-2003, 11:46 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Two more deaths today :O(
Damn.
Old 08-03-2003, 01:52 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

[Q]Earlier Saturday, one U.S. soldier was killed and three wounded in an attack north of Baghdad.

The soldier's death brought to 53 the number killed by hostile fire since major combat in Iraq ended three months ago. [/Q]

http://www.voanews.com/article.cfm?o...482583EF64262E
Old 08-03-2003, 02:20 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

I have a feeling that people are going to get really tired of this. People don't like it when bodies are coming home in caskets or whatever, no matter how they felt about the war.
Old 08-05-2003, 09:08 PM   #29
New Yorker

This is an interesting article ( and so sad) discussing the wounded and their numbers that have been left off the blip of media.

Death marches at double in Iraq but US public unaware

By Julian Borger in Washington

August 5 2003: (Sydney Morning Herald) United States military casualties in Iraq are running at more than twice the number most Americans have been led to believe they are. The public is largely unaware of a high number of accidents, suicides and other non-combat deaths.

Since May 1, when President George Bush called an end to combat operations, 52 of his troops have been killed by hostile fire, according to Pentagon figures.

But the total of deaths from all causes is much higher at 112.

The other unreported cost of the war for the United States is the number of wounded - 827.

But unofficial figures put the total in the thousands. Many of the wounded have lost limbs

The number of US combat deaths since the start of the war is 166, which is 19 more than the toll in the first Gulf war.

The passing of that benchmark last month scotched the perception that the US had scored an easy victory. The death toll this time is 248 when accidents and suicides are included.

According to a Gallup poll, 63 per cent of Americans still think Iraq was worth going to war over, but a quarter want the troops out now, and another third want a withdrawal if the casualty figures mount.

Military observers say it is unusual, even in a "low-intensity" guerilla war, for non-combat deaths to outnumber combat casualties.

The Pentagon does not tabulate the cause of those deaths, but according to Iraq Coalition Casualty Count, a website that tracks official reports, 23 US soldiers have died in car or helicopter accidents since May 1, and 12 have been killed in accidents with weapons or explosives.

Three deaths have been categorised as possible suicides, three have died from illness and three from drowning. The rest are unexplained.

Wounded US soldiers continue to be flown back to Andrews Air Force Base near Washington at a relentless rate.

The Walter Reed Army Hospital in Washington was so overwhelmed by the influx that it had taken over beds normally reserved for cancer patients, a CBS report said.

The Pentagon figure for wounded in action in Iraq is 827, but here again the total of injuries appears much higher.

The estimate given by central command in Qatar is 926, but Lieutenant-Colonel Allen DeLane, in charge of the airlift of wounded into Andrews Air Force Base, argues that too is understated. "Since the war has started, I can't give you an exact number because that's classified information, but I can say to you over 4000 have stayed here at Andrews, and that number doubles when you count the people that come here to Andrews and then we send them to other places . . ." Colonel DeLane told National Public Radio.

Ninety per cent of injuries were directly war-related, he said.

"When the facility where I'm at started absorbing the people coming back from theatre [in April], those numbers went up significantly - I'd say over 1200. That number even went up higher in the month of May, to about 1500, and continues to increase."

The Guardian
Old 08-08-2003, 09:09 AM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

[Q]BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Two U.S. soldiers were killed and one was wounded, along with an Iraqi interpreter, in a gunbattle in Baghdad, the U.S. military said on Thursday. [/Q]

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2003Aug7.html