The Toll Grows Higher - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2004, 01:19 PM   #196
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:58 PM
passed up a 9 million dollar contract from the rams to sign up for the army after 9/11. what a great great man. he will be missed.

Old 04-23-2004, 06:18 PM   #197
Blue Crack Addict

Old 04-26-2004, 10:23 AM   #198
Blue Crack Addict

BAGHDAD, Iraq - An explosion leveled part of a building as American troops searched it for suspected production of "chemical munitions," a U.S. general said. Two soldiers were killed and five wounded in the blast, and a cheering mob of Iraqis looted their wrecked Humvees, stripping away weapons and equipment.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:20 AM   #199
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:58 PM
they gave the last full measure of devotion

'Nightline' to honor U.S. military dead

Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) -- Ted Koppel will devote the entire half-hour of "Nightline" Friday to reading names and showing photographs of the more than 500 U.S. servicemen and women killed in action in Iraq, ABC announced Wednesday.

Each service member's photo will be shown, along with his or her name, military branch, rank and age as Koppel reads the name aloud. Since the ABC News broadcast is just 30 minutes, it will include only those killed in action in Iraq since March 19, 2003, as certified by the Defense Department.

The network will use photos and information from the Army Times Publishing Company's online "Faces of Valor" database.

"Memorial Day might have been the most logical occasion on which to do this program," Koppel said. "But we felt that the impact would actually be greater on a day when the entire nation is not focused on its war dead."

ABC News will simulcast the program live on its Jumbotron screen in Times Square, and ABC News Radio will air excerpts, the network said.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:11 PM   #200
Blue Crack Addict

I heard about that this morning, I'm going to tape it and make sure I see and concentrate on each and every one. It's the least I can do

Old 04-29-2004, 08:19 AM   #201
Blue Crack Addict

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Eight U.S. troops died in a car bombing Thursday and two others were killed in separate incidents in Iraq, according to the U.S. military.

The car bombing in Mahmoudiya, south of Baghdad, also wounded four troops, a military spokesman told CNN.

Hours earlier in eastern Baghdad, a rocket-propelled grenade attack killed a U.S. soldier from the 1st Cavalry, according to the coalition.

An attack in Ba'qubah, north of Baghdad, killed another U.S. soldier, U.S. military officials said.

With the deaths, 737 U.S. troops have been killed in the Iraq war -- 534 from hostile fire, 203 in non-hostile incidents, according to U.S. military figures.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:44 AM   #202
Blue Crack Addict

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Nine U.S. servicemen were killed, six in a mortar attack, in a bloody 24 hours for U.S.-led forces in Iraq on Sunday.

US Marine Major T.V. Johnson told reporters the six soldiers died when the mortar attack targeted a military base in west Iraq, but would give no further details.

"I didn't know who was dead and who was wounded... It was a bad day," said a 27-year-old serviceman who survived the attack. Declining to be named, he said he was knocked to the ground by the blast of one mortar bomb.

Two U.S. soldiers were killed in northwest Baghdad and another died in a guerrilla attack at a U.S. base near the northern oil city of Kirkuk. Two members of the Iraqi Civil Defense Corps were also killed on Sunday in Baghdad.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:29 AM   #203
Blue Crack Addict

http://www.lowellsun.com/Stories/0,1...166760,00.html

Stephen Zabierek said he communicated often with his son by telephone and e-mail. The life was difficult over there, he said, but Andrew was "surprisingly strong stronger than I would have been."

Stephen said Andrew especially loved talking to the Iraqi kids.

"Every time he talked to them, they'd flock around him, ask him all kinds of questions about America and about his family and ask for pictures. He really enjoyed the Iraqi kids."
Old 05-27-2004, 09:33 AM   #204
New Yorker

Old 05-30-2004, 06:25 PM   #205
War Child

Location: with 2 kids in high school they tell her that she's uncool, but she's still preoccupied with 1985
While walking through WalMart I came upon something that chilled me to the bone. There among the Chinese lanterns, the soda coolers and the lawn flags, was a shelf full of glass and wooden flag cases Dozens of them were stacked up and they were advertised as "Flag cases, $17.99"

I know what they're for, and it put that creepy chill in me to think that they must feel this is a popular product and there is or will be a need for the mass selling of them or they wouldn't have displayed them so. My father was an Army veteran who was buried with full military honors. When he died 8 years ago it was not easy to find a flag case, there were only a few places that carried them and they were more or less a specialty. So for them to move from something that is relatively obscure to being in great multitude on the shelves of WalMart, it scares me to think that they anticipate many more deaths and that the bodies coming home is going to be a more common everyday thing. That upsets me.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:05 PM   #206
Blue Crack Addict

BAGHDAD -- They had planned to read the name of every American soldier who fell in Iraq, but at the last minute they decided it would take too long.

It would take an hour to read more than 800 names, and Lieutenant General Ricardo Sanchez, commander of US-led occupation forces in Iraq, and his staff had just 30 minutes to observe Memorial Day before getting back to the business of war.

So in a towering marble palace, once Saddam Hussein's hunting lodge and now part of Sanchez's headquarters complex dubbed Camp Victory, the general and several hundred soldiers gathered around the traditional symbols of a fallen soldier -- a pair of boots, a helmet, and a rifle.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:36 PM   #207
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 10:58 PM
One hour shouldn't be too much if you think that they gave not only one hour but their life
Old 06-08-2004, 02:00 PM   #208
Blue Crack Addict

Vermont soldier dies in Iraq bombing
By Associated Press
Tuesday, June 8, 2004

MONTPELIER, Vt. - Sgt. Jamie Gray of East Montpelier died yesterday in Iraq when a roadside bomb exploded. Two other members of the Vermont National Guard were injured in the attack south of Baghdad.

Gray was the third Vermont National Guardsmen and the 10th serviceman with ties to Vermont to die in Iraq since the war began.

Gray, 29, was a member of the same unit that lost two soldiers two weeks ago.

All belonged to the 1st Battalion, 86th Field Artillery, which was mobilized in January and went to Iraq in March.

The attack took place about 11 a.m. Iraqi time near Iskandariyah, about 25 miles south of the capital, the military said.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:28 PM   #209
Blue Crack Addict

BAGHDAD, Iraq - A rocket slammed into a U.S. logistics base Wednesday near the city of Balad, killing two U.S. soldiers and wounding 26 people, the military said.

Fourteen of the injured were taken to the U.S. Army's 31st Combat Support Hospital and seven were treated at a clinic on the U.S. base, known as Camp Anaconda, according to a military statement.

Air and ground units responded to the attack, the military said. Balad is 50 miles north of Baghdad.

The military statement did not specify whether the injured were U.S. soldiers or included civilians or others on the sprawling compound.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:49 PM   #210
New Yorker

I almost hate to read the news anymore. Day after day after day. It reminds me of watching the news during dinner when I was little.