The Toll Grows Higher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is my second most disappointing day in this community. I would never dream of interfering in another members thread.

It is disappointing because I cannot even immagine disrupting a thread that has existed for 18 months. A thread in which I posted names of people I knew. Names of people whose family I sit in the pews with a church. names of people who my colleagues taught.

There is no other point of view here. If it were a funeral or a memorial in the fucking real world you would not put it up to a vote. You would deal with the person disrupting the memorial. having served in the military, having lost a member of my community who I worshipped with I see no other point of view.

I FAIL to understand why it would even be entertained that this thread might be closed. I FAIL to understand why, if someone felt so strongly about other deaths, they could not start their own thread. I cannot immagine why a member of this forum would be allowed to treat others this way.

Hope that´s in STYLE

Army Staff Sgt. Thomas E. Vitagliano

33, of New Haven, Conn.; assigned to the 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division, Camp Casey, Korea; killed Jan. 17 when a vehicle-borne improvised explosive device detonated near his position in Ramadi, Iraq. Also killed was Army Pfc. George R. Geer.

Marine Cpl. Paul C. Holter III

21, of Corpus Christi, Texas; assigned to 2nd Battalion, 11th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, Calif.; died Jan. 14 in a non-combat-related incident at Camp Ramadi, Iraq.

Army Pfc. George R. Geer

27, of Cortez, Colo.; assigned to the 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division, Camp Casey, Korea; killed Jan. 17 when a vehicle-borne improvised explosive device detonated near his position in Ramadi, Iraq. Also killed was Army Staff Sgt. Thomas E. Vitagliano.

Army Pfc. Francis C. Obaji

21, of Queens Village, N.Y.; assigned to the 1st Battalion, 69th Infantry Regiment, New York Army National Guard, New York, N.Y.; died Jan. 17 in the 86th Combat Support Hospital, Baghdad, after he was involved in a motor vehicle accident Jan. 16 in Baghdad.

Army Spc. Alain L. Kamolvathin

21, of Blairstown, N.J.; assigned to the 1st Battalion, 69th Infantry Regiment, New York Army National Guard, New York, N.Y.; killed Jan. 16 in a motor vehicle accident in Baghdad.

Army Sgt. Nathaniel T. Swindell

24, of Bronx, N.Y.; assigned to the 1st Battalion, 24th Infantry Regiment, Fort Lewis, Wash.; died Jan. 15 of a non-combat-related injury in Mosul, Iraq.

Marine Sgt. Jayton D. Patterson

26, of Sedley, Va.; assigned to 1st Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Lejeune, N.C.; killed Jan. 15 by enemy action in Babil province, Iraq.

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
Hope that´s in STYLE

I'd like to ask what you mean by this. I lost someone I knew over there, so I don't appreciate your sarcasm, if that's what your intent was. I think you made your point long ago.

I'm done w/ any participation in this thread or any future thread.

MrsSpringsteen said:

I'd like to ask what you mean by this. I lost someone I knew over there, so I don't appreciate your sarcasm, if that's what your intent was. I think you made your point long ago.

I'm done w/ any participation in this thread or any future thread.

No sarcasm intended. Just wanted to ask if that is the style the creator of this thread, Dreadsox, who I respect, wishes. Indeed, I hope so.

Please refrain from future personal posts regarding your interpretation of my contributions. To mention the possibility that I am sarcastic towards those who fight in a cruel war, is the best compliment I got as of today thanks a lot, I really needed that.

As to your participation: personally I don´t give a fuck if you post here or not (others may care for that, I don´t) - so don´t play that stupid victimizing game with me yeah, I am so cruel, baby and you are so poor - while the real victims, including soldiers of the U.S. Army and the person you knew over there, are thousands of miles away.

This thread is a memorial thread. If there ´s anything else you want to reply to me, post another thread. Thank you.

Last edited:
Okay, please let's not now stoop to personal attacks in this thread, too.

Hiphop..., that was simply uncalled for. You really ought to know better than to post in such a way. And I don't just mean your last post, either--the "Hope that's in STYLE" comment really wasn't necessary, either.

Any other discussions that need to happen here that aren't related to tragic deaths, please take them off the forum.

Yeah pax I love you too ;) :wave:

Two more tragic deaths:

Army Pfc. Jesus Fonseca

19, of Marietta, Ga.; assigned to the 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Division, Camp Casey, Korea; killed Jan. 17 when a vehicle-borne improvised explosive device detonated near his position in Ramadi, Iraq.

Army Capt. Christopher J. Sullivan

29, of Princeton, Mass.; assigned to the 1st Battalion, 5th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division, Fort Hood, Texas; killed Jan. 18 when an improvised explosive device detonated near his parked vehicle in Baghdad.

31... the toll grows higher. Prayers and respect to the young men. May they rest in peace.

Elsewhere Sunday, three U.S. soldiers died when their vehicle rolled into a canal near Balad during a combat patrol, the U.S. 1st Infantry Division reported.

Another thing to mention is all men and women who have been permanently injured and can never do what they used to be able to do again. I am in Iraq right now and I have lost good friends. I have seen so many more injured for the rest of thier lives. I'm a soldier in Mosul and it takes its tole on all of us...thank for all the support from everyone out there

Let me personally say thank you, to you and to all those who fight and have sacrificed to make Iraq free and protect that freedom.

Forces: U.S. & Coalition/Casualties

There have been 1,929 coalition troop deaths, 1,741 Americans, 90 Britons, 13 Bulgarians, one Dane, two Dutch, two Estonians, one Hungarian, 25 Italians, one Kazakh, one Latvian, 17 Poles, one Salvadoran, three Slovaks, 11 Spaniards, two Thai and 18 Ukrainians in the war in Iraq as of July 4, 2005. (Graphical breakdown of casualties). The list below is the names of the soldiers, Marines, airmen, sailors and Coast Guardsmen whose families have been notified of their deaths by each country's government. At least 13,190 U.S. troops have been wounded in action, according to the Pentagon. The Pentagon does not report the number of non-hostile wounded. For a historical look at U.S. war casualties, click here. To view casualties in the war in Afghanistan, click here.

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2003/iraq/forces/casualties/

2,033 :( :sad:

We know of the death toll of our troops, but the Iraqi death toll is forgotten by many Americans. The latest estimate is that between 23,456-26,559 Iraqi's have been killed. http://www.iraqbodycount.net/

That makes a total of almost 30,000 people killed in this pointless war. When will it end?

Infinitum98 said:
2,033 :( :sad:

We know of the death toll of our troops, but the Iraqi death toll is forgotten by many Americans. The latest estimate is that between 23,456-26,559 Iraqi's have been killed. http://www.iraqbodycount.net/

That makes a total of almost 30,000 people killed in this pointless war. When will it end?

Once again, this thread was reserved specifically to honor the deaths of US and coalition troops. It is to be devoid of any political discussion. If you want to discuss other deaths and politics, start another thread.

STING2 said:
Once again, this thread was reserved specifically to honor the deaths of US and coalition troops. It is to be devoid of any political discussion. If you want to discuss other deaths and politics, start another thread.

Looks like your commitment to spreading freedom of speech doesn't extend very far....

Frankly appointing yourself policeman of the thread and attempting to root out any posts that bring in non-invader casualties smacks of a fascistic type of world view.

'If you want to discuss other deaths and politics, start another thread'.

Don't tell us where and when to discuss anything, if someone wants to raise something in the thread they should be allowed do so.

Last edited:
We have had this argument before; time and time again, this will not go any differently; the thread when compromised rapidly deteriorates.

Want to go on a rant against US imperialism and mass murder, your free to do that in another thread.

Last edited:
the title of this thread doesn't specify that we must discuss only the death toll of the troops. the iraqi death toll is just as, if not more, important.

STING2 said:

maybe you should leave it to the moderators to decide whose post stays and whose goes. if they think that i shouldnt be posting "other" deaths, then they will delete my post.

A_Wanderer said:
Want to go on a rant against US imperialism and mass murder, your free to do that in another thread.

An absolutely ridiculous idiotic and contemptible comment.

Infinitum did not go an a rant 'against US imperialism or mass murder', he merely mentioned Iraqi casualties.

I wasn't talking to infinitum, I was illustrating the fallacy about declaring that Sting2 was against free speech.

This is an utterly pointless argument because it has happened numerous times and each time the same conclusion is reached.

Infinitum98 said:

maybe you should leave it to the moderators to decide whose post stays and whose goes. if they think that i shouldnt be posting "other" deaths, then they will delete my post.

If you have taken anytime to read the through the thread, you will realize that this is a thread that is reserved for US and coalition casualties. If you still have any doubt about that fact, then I suggest you talk to the person who created the thread in the first place, Dreadsox.

financeguy said:

Looks like your commitment to spreading freedom of speech doesn't extend very far....

Frankly appointing yourself policeman of the thread and attempting to root out any posts that bring in non-invader casualties smacks of a fascistic type of world view.

'If you want to discuss other deaths and politics, start another thread'.

Don't tell us where and when to discuss anything, if someone wants to raise something in the thread they should be allowed do so.

This thread was started 18 months before you were even a member of this forum. It was started by Dreadsox and he intended the topic of thread to be to honor US and coalition troops. A brief examination of the majority of the posts in this thread will show that is the case and the moderators have usually upheld that general rule. It is to be free of political discussion and is meant to honor the troops who have died in the conflict.

I hope you'll respect the topic of the thread and post accordingly.

There are other threads for other casualties in the conflict as well as threads discussing the politics.

Also, if you would take time to read the Faq/rules you agreed to when you joined this forum, you'll see that no one here has the right to post anything they want to in any thread.

Back
Top Bottom