The Threat To Islamism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
Reason.
It would be hard to imagine a place more remote from the violence and turmoil of the Middle East than this quiet cul-de-sac in the southern suburbs of Los Angeles. But as David Sultan opens the front door of his home he glances up and down the street anxiously.

He has good reason to be nervous: ever since Dr Wafa Sultan, his wife, appeared on Al-Jazeera, the Arabic television network, last summer she has been receiving death threats. During that and a second broadcast in February Dr Sultan, who was brought up as a Muslim in Syria, denounced the teachings and practice of Islam as “barbaric” and “medieval”.

“The clash we are witnessing around the world is not a clash of religions, or a clash of civilisations,” the impassioned 47-year-old told Al-Jazeera’s stunned audience across the Arab world. “It is a clash between civilisation and backwardness, between the civilised and the primitive, between barbarity and rationality. It is a clash between human rights on the one hand and the violation of these rights on the other, between those who treat women like beasts and those who treat them like human beings.

The broadcasts have caused an unholy stir in the Muslim world and virtually overnight have turned Sultan, previously known only to a few for her writings on www.annaqed.com, a small Arab-American website, into one of the most controversial figures in the international debate about Islam. The broadcasts have been downloaded more than 1m times from the internet and she has been interviewed on CNN and profiled by The New York Times and Le Monde.

While some acclaim her as “a voice of reason” others have denounced her as a “heretic” and insist that she deserves to die. What seems to have most infuriated many Muslims were Sultan’s comparisons between how Jews and Muslims have coped with the tragedies that have befallen them.
link

Yes those crazy motherf***ers are proving just how wrong she is when she labels them medieval by declaring her a heretic. Conservative Islam is on par with Inquisition Era Catholicism - only without the scriptural wiggle room that enables the religion to neutralise itself.

Again maybe they wouldn't be so uppity if they spent more time on that shock absorber website.

Last edited:
Who wants to kill Sultan? The “barbaric” and “medieval" Muslims? Or the ones who are offended by the insult on the religion of peace?

The nice Turks I'm going to meet in May must be horrified. They are secular in their public life, and Muslim only in their private affairs. Islamism is actually illegal in Turkey. I'll be free to attend mass in the local Catholic church. I'm looking forward to going to St. Antoine's in Istanbul.

Last edited:
Ah, yes, the Battle of Tours. Charles Martel (who was Charlemagne's grandfather) defeated the Muslim troops. This was important, but it's been said that the Muslims didn't take this defeat too hard. They were successful elsewhere. They had taken the Persian Empire, and their biggest problem at this point was a dispute between three men as to who the rightful caliph (leader of the Islamic community) was. Also, Europe was a backwater to the point where the whole infrastructure had been destroyed by the barbarian invasions. There's a famous passage--I have it linked on my site--about someone in ninth-century Netherlands walking from home to his school, and he has a hard time crossing a river because the bridge was unusable--if he's tried to walk on it he would have drowned in the river. Charles Martel was a Frank, and their level of civilization was really low. They really didn't want it that much. They sent troops to the battle, true, but they didn't miss out on much.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom