The terrorists (Arafat) have won - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 09-06-2003, 02:07 PM   #1
War Child
Local Time: 04:04 AM
The terrorists (Arafat) have won

Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas submitted his resignation to Palestinian Authority President Yasser Arafat today. Many insiders believe the reason he quit was because of Arafat standing in the way of the road map to peace. The reason Arafat was standing in Abbas' way is because Arafat has no interest in peace with Israel. He would prefer terrorist acts and the killing of innocent people. This is very bad news for the Palestinian people. I think the only way to bring peace to the region now is to expel Arafat and try to start over. Maybe if Arafat was gone then Abbas would reconsider.

Old 09-06-2003, 02:29 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 09:04 PM
Sharon and his extremist have won!

Old 09-06-2003, 05:28 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 12:04 AM
I think Arafat and Sharon are both the last thing that's needed for peace there.

But in this case, I think the problems transcend both of them, and have become so deeply ingrained in the minds of the general populace that a single man, removed or not, wouldn't be able to bring about effective change anyway.
Old 09-06-2003, 06:11 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict
I think you're right anitram. While it's unfortunate that Abbas resigned, I think there is too much tension in the area for the problems to be solved by just one person, no matter how good. Both Arafat and Sharon are bad news for peace in the Middle East.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:22 AM   #5
War Child
Someone needs to show some Grace... It's the only chance for any kind of resolution. But do you really think a leader will go against his own people and show some grace for the otherside.
As soon as he does that he will be doomed! Someone will have to sacrifice their own political ambitions or even their own life to make a real difference.