"The Ten Commandments" some are pretty good. Law of the land? What do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
"The Ten Commandments" some are pretty good. Law of the land? What do you think?

ONE: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.'

TWO: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.'

THREE: 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.'

FOUR: 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.'

FIVE: 'Honor your father and your mother.'

SIX: 'You shall not murder.'

SEVEN: 'You shall not commit adultery.'

EIGHT: 'You shall not steal.'

NINE: 'You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.'

TEN: 'You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.'

I was raised with the King James Version. I don't know what version I posted. I found it here,<---

Feel free to cut and paste your preferred version.

Are any of these incorporated into our/ your legal system?

Should all of them be?

Well, killing and stealing are illegal in just about all countries, whatever their religious tradition is. Adultery? Uh, depends on how you define it. Keeping the Sabbath? That's strictly a religious commandment, not a secular commandment. It's originally a Jewish practice and *is* the law of the land in Israel, which is by definition a Jewish state. The U.S. is a secular state; we don't have a state religion, so no, I'm against Sabbath laws. In my state they require businesses to close on Sunday. I don't like this but hey, religious conservatives run my state. Still, as a group of religious conservatives, the Seventh-Day Adventists, keep Saturday as their sabbath it's worth examining these laws. I don't think they're fair. (I have SDA relatives and they are very nice). Honoring your parents? In some countries respect for elders is a tradition because they've been there, done that, have the experience, and can give good advice. The U.S. is a youth-oriented culture and ageism is a problem, so we've got the opposite trend going here. It'd be great if we could stop some of the evils of ageism.

its a youth oriented culture but its kinda funny to see where the money comes from! mommy daddy..... honoring your parents should not be forgotten..

Unfortunately, this type of question does not promote an understanding of the Commandments or a desire to follow them. Writing them into our legal system is no better than any other law we have on the books. They must be written on your heart.

This has nothing to do with how I feel about the 10 commandments themselves, this has to do with whether or not one want's a fanatic making decisions on ones case. If he is allowed to continue, what will be next.. do you believe in the 10 commandments.. well sir, I don't know.. Judge Moore, well then I sentence you to 5 years to study them.
Even though he's been suspended, people like him have the ability to abuse the power they have been given. It's going to take a few more years but there are alot of progressive people in this state and I have alot of hope.

Last edited:
I grew up in a time when Sunday was not only a religious day for my family, but it was THE day of the week you could always count on to have TOGETHER. I almost wish the laws were still on the books because it definitely was the day of the week that I could count on for spending time with my father. I understand that it had religious beginnings, but I almost wonder if as a state/nation we would be better off having that ONE day a week to be with our families. No one is forcing you to go to church, but we have become so economically driven, and so reactionary to things that are percieved to be a threat do to their religious origions, that through trying to completely irradicate anything perceived to be religious we are doing more harm than good.

As to the Ten Commandments in the Court, I am disappointed with the ruling. It is foolishness. I bet that if Hammurabi's Code of Laws was etched on a tablet there, no one would have said a thing about it.

"Owe nothing to anyone, except to love one another; for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. The commandments, 'You shall not commit adultery; you shall not kill; you shall not steal; you shall not covet,' and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this saying, (namely) 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' Love does no evil to the neighbor; hence, love is the fulfillment of the law." -- Romans 13:8-10

Melon

Last edited:
melon said:
"Owe nothing to anyone, except to love one another; for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. The commandments, 'You shall not commit adultery; you shall not kill; you shall not steal; you shall not covet,' and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this saying, (namely) 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' Love does no evil to the neighbor; hence, love is the fulfillment of the law." -- Romans 13:8-10

Melon

Thanks for posting that. One of my favorites.

They've Fallen Off the Top 10 List

Read closely: The Ten Commandments reflect a primitive worldview.

By Alan Dershowitz
Alan Dershowitz is a law professor at Harvard University.

September 14, 2003

During the debate over removing a 2-ton monument featuring the Ten Commandments from the rotunda of the Alabama Supreme Court, it has been repeatedly asserted that "America was built on the principles of the Ten Commandments" and that our system of government is based on the Decalogue. The opposite is much closer to the historical truth. As Thomas Jefferson --who rejected the divine origin of the Ten Commandments and found them to be "defective and doubtful" --recognized, our nation was founded on a rejection of much of what is in the actual content of the commandments.

Most Americans are unaware of what is included in the nearly 300 words that make up the Ten Commandments as set out in Exodus and Deuteronomy and translated in the King James (and other) versions of the Bible. They know only the CliffsNotes version: "Thou shalt not kill" (or "murder," depending on which translation one accepts); "Thou shalt not commit adultery," which, in its time applied only to married women, not married men, who were free to have sex with unmarried women; and "Thou shalt not steal" or "bear false witness."

In theory at least, all civilized societies recognize those ancient principles, which aren't original to Mosaic law. They are based on earlier laws, such as the Code of Hammurabi and the Code of Lipit-Ishtar. Can it be said then that the United States is based on pagan codes?

The complete text of the Ten Commandments, regardless of the translation, is much more controversial. It includes God's assertion that he is "a jealous God" and his threat to visit "the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation" --that is, to punish children, grandchildren and even great-grandchildren for the sins of their ancestors.

Can anything be more un-American? Jefferson agreed with Thomas Paine that this commandment is "contrary to every principle of moral judgment." As my 13-year-old daughter has observed, how can a child be expected to "honor thy father and thy mother" if her evil parents are responsible for punishment she and her innocent children and grandchildren will suffer? The principle of intergenerational collective accountability is particularly unsuited to a nation that proclaimed itself a land of individual opportunity and rejected the European tradition of class based on parentage.

Nor does the U.S. accept the notion of having "no other gods" except the Judeo-Christian god. We have always welcomed people who have other gods, or no god. And we constantly take God's name in vain by invoking it at sporting events, on our money, in political campaigns and with all-American curses.

The full text of the commandments seems to accept slavery, given that in the original Hebrew it condemns coveting your neighbor's "slave" --usually mistranslated as "servant" or "manservant." Moreover, coveting is as American as apple pie. Our entire market system encourages us to covet our neighbor's wealth.

The commandments also provide for a day of rest for "thy slave." And speaking of a day of rest, the commandments are unambiguous about which day is mandated, as well as the reason for it: It is the "seventh day" --Saturday --because God "rested the seventh day." It is not Sunday, the day selected centuries later by Christians because it is the day on which Jesus was resurrected. That choice was rejected by Jews and Seventh-day Adventists, while Muslims selected Friday as their day of rest.

Finally, there is the prohibition of "graven images" --a phrase that seems to describe the large monument in Alabama before which so many people have prostrated themselves in recent weeks.

So what is so American about the Ten Commandments? Nothing, I submit. The rules we accept actually precede the Ten Commandments and are accepted by all civilized nations. The remaining provisions --which call for punishing children for the sins of parents, acknowledge slavery, mark Saturday as the exclusive day of rest and were read as exempting married men from the prohibition against adultery --the United States has generally rejected.

Not only do the Ten Commandments not belong in public courthouses or classrooms, they do not even belong --at least without some amendments and explanatory footnotes --in the hearts and minds of contemporary Americans.

they do not even belong --at least without some amendments and explanatory footnotes --in the hearts and minds of contemporary Americans.

That's sad..but then again, it makes it easier to defend murderers, rapists etc when you just keep that commandment, morality type of stuff out of your mind..

Are any of these incorporated into our/ your legal system?

Should all of them be?

That wasn't the intension of the 10 Commandments. If you look at the bible the 10 commandments are not even the way to earn eternal life (Romans 3:22-4:28).
The message was "If you love god you'll follow these commandments" (

So change the commandments into local laws isn't heplful from the christian point of view.

Klaus

Dershowitz is correct, if only that he captures the belief system of many of our Founding Fathers. Democracy, in general, is antithetical to religion, which runs off of autocratic sets of laws that leave no room for nuance.

We are better off remembering the secular humanist values that founded this nation, which, at least in theory, establish core goals of tolerance and freedom for people of all belief systems. Morality, as we can see even amongst differing Christian denominations, is variable, and if we think that becoming a "religious nation" will make us more peaceful...well, all you have to do is look at nations like Israel, Saudi Arabia, and Iran to see that you'll either get embroiled in conflict or have your freedoms severely curtailed to conform to the ruling entity's value set...which may not even be close to your own. Place the Ten Commandments in your home, if you wish, but keep them out of the public.

"Give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and give to God what belongs to God."

Melon

Last edited:
For comparison, here are the Yamas and the Niyamas (Do's and Don'ts) taught in yoga:

Yamas

Ahimsa - Do no harm
Satya - Tell no lies
Asteya - Do not steal
Brahmacharya - No unvirtuous sex
Aparigraha - No greed

Niyamas

Shauca - Be pure
Santosha - Be content
Tapas - Be disciplined
Svadhyaya - Be studious
Ishvara-Pranidhana - Be devoted

These are just general translations, and each one has many applications. I find them to be much more meaningful in my everyday life than the ten commandments. They also seem to guide me spiritually in a more positive way. Just thought I'd put them out there for comparison.

Last edited:
melon said:
We are better off remembering the secular humanist values that founded this nation

My guess is that reality lies somewhere between this statement and the "romanticized" notion that the founding fathers intended on creating a Christian nation.

Well if you disown Gods Commandments then you basicly disown God. When you start to disown God then don't expect him to keep saving you from your perils.

If you curse your own father and say that you never want to see him again...what do expect him to do for you??

I'm worried about where American culture is going these days...
God does'nt seem to be a part of it.

Good point Klaus

Therefore tell the people: This is what the LORD Almighty says: 'Return to me,' declares the LORD Almighty, 'and I will return to you,' says the LORD Almighty. Zechariah 1:3

stagman said:
Well if you disown Gods Commandments then you basicly disown God. When you start to disown God then don't expect him to keep saving you from your perils.

If you curse your own father and say that you never want to see him again...what do expect him to do for you??

I'm worried about where American culture is going these days...
God does'nt seem to be a part of it.

So now we're disown them because we believe in Separation of Church and state? You're right, I am worried about American culture these days too.

I wish we'd burn the Old Testament, because the New Testament always seems to be grossly ignored.

Melon

melon said:
I wish we'd burn the Old Testament, because the New Testament always seems to be grossly ignored.

Melon

How very anti-semitic of you.

nbcrusader said:
Most people I've met have never read the Old Testament.

Besides, I thought you would burn everything but Romans 13:9-10

If the Bible was lost and people had an ounce of intellect left in them, Romans 13:9-10 is all that they would need.

On the contrary, it seems that all Christians care about is the Old Testament, probably because it melds the right amount of fearmongering and stoicism. A perfect combination of sadomasochism.

Melon

womanfish said:
How very anti-semitic of you.

Oh please. :rolleyes: Both conservative and reform Judaism essentially regards the Old Testament as "archaic," as the former prefers the post-Biblical writings of the Talmud, while the latter doesn't particularly care about either. The loud minority of Orthodox Judaism is what keeps it going.

Melon

Last edited:
Oh I know quite a bit about it, and I realize what you say is true. But people still keep holy days from the old testament and hold many of longstanding beliefs which come from it's pages. To say to burn it is callous and offensive to those people.

melon said:
On the contrary, it seems that all Christians care about is the Old Testament, probably because it melds the right amount of fearmongering and stoicism. A perfect combination of sadomasochism.

Melon

I would be surprised if a majority of those who identify themselves as Christian could name half the books of the Old Testament or even know half of the Ten Commandments.

I do, however, understand where you are coming from.

Peace

Back
Top Bottom