The Tea Party - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-09-2010, 12:03 PM   #166
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,237
Local Time: 02:49 AM
I'm of the opinion that Glenn Beck doesn't believe a word he's saying. Which doesn't make his followers look any better...
__________________

__________________
Diemen is offline  
Old 03-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #167
War Child
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 706
Local Time: 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
I'm of the opinion that Glenn Beck doesn't believe a word he's saying. Which doesn't make his followers look any better...
I agree. I've said elsewhere that I would not at all be surprised if in a few years Glen Beck reveals that he's been engaged in a socio-political experiment to measure just how much bullshit people will swallow before their bullshit detectors go off.

I have a German heritage and I've always been fascinated by how good, mother-loving German citizens and military personnel were so easily manipulated by Hitler's propaganda.

Beck is German, too, isn't he? I think maybe the whole tea party is the developing result of a grand experiment to show the world that it isn't just Germans—that anyone, even a big segment of Americans, can be swayed to believe the most ridiculous things if the voice of propaganda is loud enough and expertly exploits their fears.

My first clue was the crying bit. I've seen better acting in 8th grade drama. He's either a soul-less charlatan preying on stupid people for money. Or it's all an experiment.

It can't be anything else.
__________________

__________________
LPU2 is offline  
Old 03-09-2010, 02:27 PM   #168
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim
 
UberBeaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: the most serious...douch hammer ever
Posts: 20,318
Local Time: 03:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPU2 View Post
a soul-less charlatan preying on stupid people for money.
That's it. He's a snake oil salesman. He will remembered (along with many others in the "News Opinion Business" - whatever you call him, Limbaugh, Hannity, etc - maybe Olberman to a degree) in the same vein as those scammers / exploiters. How people cannot see the harm that this causes amazes me.
__________________
UberBeaver is offline  
Old 03-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #169
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,615
Local Time: 09:49 AM
Yesterday I read a somewhat apt comparison of Fox News to the Völkischer Beobachter: generate hatred and spread stupidity. I know some will disagree, but I don't.
__________________
Vincent Vega is offline  
Old 03-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #170
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
trojanchick99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Los Feliz, CA (between Hollywood and Downtown LA)
Posts: 8,090
Local Time: 12:49 AM
Re: Beck

I'm not religious at all, but last I checked Jesus was all about helping the sick and poor. Isn't Christianity about helping the helpless?

Beck's show would be pure comedy if it weren't for the fact that I know too many people who believe every word he says.
__________________
trojanchick99 is offline  
Old 03-09-2010, 03:42 PM   #171
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,684
Local Time: 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
I'm of the opinion that Glenn Beck doesn't believe a word he's saying. Which doesn't make his followers look any better...
I think it's one of two scenarios:

a. He's a a recovering alcoholic, and most alcoholics will fill their life with extremes, i.e. working out, work, religion, etc... So he actually does believe in this shit.

or

b. He is/was slightly disenfranchised but quickly realized that there's money to be made in extremity.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 03-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #172
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,237
Local Time: 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
but quickly realized that there's money to be made in extremity.
Bingo. The man used to be a morning radio shock jock.
__________________
Diemen is offline  
Old 03-09-2010, 04:05 PM   #173
War Child
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 706
Local Time: 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
That's it. He's a snake oil salesman. He will remembered (along with many others in the "News Opinion Business" - whatever you call him, Limbaugh, Hannity, etc - maybe Olberman to a degree) in the same vein as those scammers / exploiters. How people cannot see the harm that this causes amazes me.
I think it's dangerous. It pushes run of the mill partisans to the extremes and those already on the extremes off the edge. It renders the truth unrecognizable and, consequently, irrelevant.

Whether it's health care, global warming, Iraq, it doesn't matter. It seems no one can hear truth anymore if it comes dressed as the opposition.

It used to be that truth's biggest friend was time. Over time people will see the truth. But even that's not true anymore. Propaganda can even change the past! I can't count how many people I've spoken to who now actually believe that Roosevelt EXTENDED the Depression, Hitler was a Socialist, Kennedy would be a republican today, and Ronald Reagan was Jesus.
__________________
LPU2 is offline  
Old 03-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #174
War Child
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 706
Local Time: 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
Re: Beck

I'm not religious at all, but last I checked Jesus was all about helping the sick and poor. Isn't Christianity about helping the helpless?.
I am religious. It is about helping the sick and the poor.

But imagine...if you can get people to believe in death panels and death camps and forced abortions and health insurance for dogs, then you can get them to believe anything. And if you can get them to believe anything, then you can get them to believe that Obama is a Socialist, the government is after them and that the free market is infallible. If you do that, then the only remaining reason to be a Democrat is the idea of social justice.

Now...if you can...
__________________
LPU2 is offline  
Old 03-09-2010, 04:58 PM   #175
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Is he serious or just cashing in? Although, if he's just cashing in, that's even worse.
He is either a clever opportunist or as BVS said has dry drunk syndrome.
__________________
financeguy is offline  
Old 03-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #176
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
Re: Beck

I'm not religious at all, but last I checked Jesus was all about helping the sick and poor. Isn't Christianity about helping the helpless?
So... because of the separation of church and state then opponents of Obamacare and the Welfare State should argue that they are unconstitutional because they impose the Christian religion and the teachings of Jesus onto society through the oppressive might of the federal government.

That's brilliant !! Why didn't we heartless conservatives think of that?
__________________
INDY500 is offline  
Old 03-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #177
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,684
Local Time: 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
So... because of the separation of church and state then opponents of Obamacare and the Welfare State should argue that they are unconstitutional because they impose the Christian religion and the teachings of Jesus onto society through the oppressive might of the federal government.

That's brilliant !! Why didn't we heartless conservatives think of that?
Consistency is definately not ya'lls strong suit, so give it a shot. The tea baggers wouldn't see the irony anyways.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 03-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #178
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,920
Local Time: 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
So... because of the separation of church and state then opponents of Obamacare and the Welfare State should argue that they are unconstitutional because they impose the Christian religion and the teachings of Jesus onto society through the oppressive might of the federal government.

That's brilliant !! Why didn't we heartless conservatives think of that?
damn. if he told you to jump off a bridge would you do that too?
__________________
coolian2 is offline  
Old 03-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #179
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,429
Local Time: 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
I'm not religious at all, but last I checked Jesus was all about helping the sick and poor. Isn't Christianity about helping the helpless?
The generosity of churches and faith communities in times of crisis is well-documented, actually... many, many churches have sent doctors, food, aid, and finances to the recent victims in Haiti and Chile, for example. Many more spend their weekends feeding the homeless, serving people in need, etc. And a number of Christian healthcare co-ops etc. have sprung up over the past several years in response to spiralling health care costs, specifically designed to provide affordable health care to those who need it. They don't get the PR because they're too busy out there trying to make a difference.

INDY makes an interesting point.
__________________
nathan1977 is offline  
Old 03-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #180
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,237
Local Time: 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan1977 View Post
The generosity of churches and faith communities in times of crisis is well-documented, actually... many, many churches have sent doctors, food, aid, and finances to the recent victims in Haiti and Chile, for example. Many more spend their weekends feeding the homeless, serving people in need, etc. And a number of Christian healthcare co-ops etc. have sprung up over the past several years in response to spiralling health care costs, specifically designed to provide affordable health care to those who need it. They don't get the PR because they're too busy out there trying to make a difference.
Exactly. So why the hell would Glenn Beck urge his followers to leave churches that make a point of championing such things?
__________________

__________________
Diemen is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Obama General Discussion diamond Free Your Mind Archive 1009 06-28-2010 01:03 AM
Sarah Palin resigns as Governor VintagePunk Free Your Mind Archive 1005 04-05-2010 05:30 PM
Elevation Canada 8th Anniversary Party February 19th bradyvox Interference Gatherings 22 02-20-2010 05:30 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com