The Swiss drug policy (I'd post a thumbs up, but that goes against my nature)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DrTeeth

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Ladies and gentlemen,

What do ya'll think about the experiment going on in Switzerland, where long-term addicts are provided with heroine under supervision?

The idea behind this is that addicts don't have to worry 24hrs a day about how to get their next shot , which makes them able to put all their energy (under supervision) in getting clean. The fact that the heroine is provided for free seems to be having a positive effect on crime rates. The number of deaths due to overdose seems to have decreased as well. Inform yourself at the BBC.

I wish they'd introduce this experiment in The Netherlands. Unfortunately, this won't happen with the cabinet we're having at the moment, :angry:

Klaus I'm not saying people with heroin addictions shouldn't get treatment, nor denying that it is a very hard addiction to overcome and is like a disease as you said.
The problem I have with this is its an addiction control method, not a method to really assist overcoming the actual addiction itself. Its use in prisons for example is fantastic for the term of the sentance, it gets rid of many of the problems as outlined in the article Dr Teeth posted. Its use in clinics in cities and such is somewhat similar, but still remains control only. Control is good, dont get me wrong, the program DOES have benefits. But these types of clinics are still too new to gauge the long term effects. We have one in Sydney and has been around for a few years now. In time it will be interesting to see what statisitcs can tell us regarding the users and addicts simply going back to how they once were, when they've finished with the scheme.

It does assist overcoming the addiction, since they can direct all their energy at getting clean. But even if it wouldn't, it still has its positive effects on crime rate and the number of deaths due to overdose. :up:

They are worthy of the thumbs up for sure Dr T, the crime rate and overdosing stats.
I still want to see in 20 years time or whatever, how many stay off heroin when they are done. Like quitting itself isn't next to impossible, staying off is another thing altogether.

I dunno...is this the right way to help addicts? I can see how it would decrease the overdoses and crime rates. However, I don't understand how its going to help someone overcome their addiction if they are given access to the source of their addictions.

It would be like giving me free cigarettes...Yes, I would save a ton of money, but it wouldn't give me incentive to want to quit. With being given free cigarettes, I'd be more apt to not think about wanting to quit. It would be like the gov't telling me it was okay to smoke.

Thats kinda why I hate the comparisons daisyB. Like alcohol. Of course treating a dependancy on alcohol is a different kettle of fish and requires a different tactic to kick it.

but geez, free smokes'd be nice...!

Back
Top Bottom