the surge is working! - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2007, 08:53 PM   #61
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Too much ignorance for me, I'm outta here.
I wanna stop reading too. But it's like a train wreck, not able to look away!

Old 07-09-2007, 08:54 PM   #62
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Too much ignorance for me, I'm outta here.
This is the thing that pisses me off about you. If it isn't liberal, its wrong.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:54 PM   #63
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by struckpx

Well, tell me anywhere other than Israel, in the Middle East where it isn't that way??

Sistani is pro-US, anti al-Sadr, and very moderate. He does not preach the idea of fanatacism as well.
Islam is by definition fanatacism, it looks to a future where every human is in submission to Allah, he is not pro-USA he is pro-Allah, he keeps outside from matters of government which is wise since when the government fucks up who else do the people turn to, he preaches moderation but only as far as it benefits him.

I am not going to make apologies for retrogressive superstition, religion is not a beautiful thing and watching Sunni terrorists slaughter Shiites for being heretical and worthy of death followed by a Shiite squad massacre a Sunni household only reinforces it.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:56 PM   #64
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Define liberal please? Is it love of liberty - to support individualism, secularism and freedom. To oppose encroachments upon liberty?

If it defined as the nature and size of state intrusion then I hope that you oppose censorship and surveilance because that is just as intrusive as any liberal policy out there.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:57 PM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:12 AM
Quote:

And stop bringing up my age. I am 68.
On Mercury?
Old 07-09-2007, 09:01 PM   #66
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:12 AM
Quote:

Quote:
So, for all of you to sit around here and defend him is outrageous.
Show me how this statement is anything but ignorance.

I dare you.

It's not conservative or liberal, it's just pure bullshit.

So be pissed off all you want, but you've been shown time after time after time by people on all sides that your facts are wrong. But when you start accusing people of defending Saddam, you cross the line. I guess you just realized you don't have anything to stand on.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:02 PM   #67
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

There's a difference between someone who had knowingly killed hundreds of thousands of his own, and then you or me. Don't compare the two.
I will compare the two when it exposes your fallacy because Saddam commited more than enough documented crimes to make the case without inventing imaginary ones, a world with Saddam actually needing to rearm to back up his rhetoric against an ascendant nuclear neighbour (Iran began it's nuclear activities before 2003) is a frightening thought - why not make a case based on that scenario, it may be moot but at least it is more plausible than your example.

Saddam wouldn't back Al Qaeda in 2001/2002 unless it was in the interests of preserving the regime and he had a guarantee to prevent a US response (e.g. a nuclear option) - thats the difference. Comparing Al Qaeda to the PLO is different because one can actually be appeased and the other cannot, the ideology of Al Qaeda is not limited to a single group (look at the peaceful fascistic Hizb ut Tahir) and can only end when young men aren't drawn to such organisations.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:06 PM   #68
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Islam is by definition fanatacism, it looks to a future where every human is in submission to Allah, he is not pro-USA he is pro-Allah, he keeps outside from matters of government which is wise since when the government fucks up who else do the people turn to, he preaches moderation but only as far as it benefits him.

I am not going to make apologies for retrogressive superstition, religion is not a beautiful thing and watching Sunni terrorists slaughter Shiites for being heretical and worthy of death followed by a Shiite squad massacre a Sunni household only reinforces it.
What is true, is that he is against Iran's Ayatollah. This is a great man who has great respect from his people, and hopefully, will ultimately outdo people like al-sadr who call for military violence along with religion.

The fact of the matter is, is that you can't expect Iraq to become pro-social rights all of a sudden, that is not plausible. The democratically-elected government has been enough of a challenge. It is moving forward, slowly but surely, and security is the number one concern that needs to be addressed before anything else can go on. Once that is in place, education and other things can happen to enlighten society.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:12 PM   #69
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:12 AM
You must be Sting2's son.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:12 PM   #70
ONE
love, blood, life

Yeah but your not going forward are you, it's the fact that many of these social indicators are going backwards. The flight of the Iraqi middle class is a huge issue, it shifts the demographics in a very bad way and no matter how much wooing you have for immediate security it eliminates the possibility for a peaceful unified Iraq to emerge.

The short sightedness in looking to back religious leaders as a tool of social control is staggering, especially at the same time Iraqi trade unions are getting royally fucked over by the state, that isn't freedom it is bordering on clerical fascism (religious leaders controlling a state which exists for the sole purpose of ensuring business runs smoothly).
Old 07-09-2007, 09:38 PM   #71
Acrobat

Quote:
Yeah but your not going forward are you, it's the fact that many of these social indicators are going backwards. The flight of the Iraqi middle class is a huge issue, it shifts the demographics in a very bad way and no matter how much wooing you have for immediate security it eliminates the possibility for a peaceful unified Iraq to emerge.

The short sightedness in looking to back religious leaders as a tool of social control is staggering, especially at the same time Iraqi trade unions are getting royally fucked over by the state, that isn't freedom it is bordering on clerical fascism (religious leaders controlling a state which exists for the sole purpose of ensuring business runs smoothly).
Iraq has one thing going for itself, oil. That is what all of its energy must be put towards, for that is where most of its revenues and jobs will amount from.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:40 PM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:12 AM
Quote:

Iraq has one thing going for itself, oil.
The oil's gonna pay for the war.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:45 PM   #73
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Iraq has one thing going for itself, oil. That is what all of its energy must be put towards, for that is where most of its revenues and jobs will amount from.
And here we are in 2005, the elected Iraq government just ratified an oil accord with an oil trust that gives every citizen a stake in the country, the sheiks in Anbar province have unanimously rejected al Zarqawi and AQ in Iraq and the Golden Mosque still has a dome and all thanks to the success in rebuilding Iraqs oil infrastructure and investing enough material support and protection during that critical phase between the invasion and 2004 before the insurgency could become entrenched.

You want oil then buy it from Saddam, he was willing to sell and it is obvious that everyone in the world was willing to buy.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:47 PM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:12 AM
Quote:
A progress report on Iraq will conclude that the U.S.-backed government in Baghdad has not met any of its targets for political, economic and other reform, speeding up the Bush administration's reckoning on what to do next, a U.S. official said Monday.
Heckuva job!
Old 07-09-2007, 09:48 PM   #75
Acrobat

Quote:
And here we are in 2005, the elected Iraq government just ratified an oil accord with an oil trust that gives every citizen a stake in the country, the sheiks in Anbar province have unanimously rejected al Zarqawi and AQ in Iraq and the Golden Mosque still has a dome and all thanks to the success in rebuilding Iraqs oil infrastructure and investing enough material support and protection during that critical phase between the invasion and 2004 before the insurgency could become entrenched.

You want oil then buy it from Saddam, he was willing to sell and it is obvious that everyone in the world was willing to buy.
So you would rather have Saddam Hussein alive??

I would rather have it like today than have a madman controlling that territory. Slowly, things are being rebuilt. It takes a long time when the security isn't in all areas yet. We will see how this new surge of troops does. it has done great things so far.