The Stigma of SARS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Edge

Bono's Belly Dancing Friend
Living in Toronto these days is highly depressing. We get deluged with the most depressing news....the world is treating us like we live in a leper colony.

Wildly popular productions like The Lion King and Mamma Mia are closing, one completely, the other for the summer at a time when they would be crammed with tourists.

Ireland decreed that they wouldn't let ANY Canadians come to the Special Olympics....a stance that has softened today, where they just exclude Toronto.

Students can't get any summer jobs in the tourist industry and one group of students who were given a job placement in the States had their placement rescinded because of this, even though they live on the other end of the country. Now they can't graduate without this placement.

The ignorance and hysteria is really ridiculous, even though yesterday The World Health Organization said they had no plans to issue another travel advisory warning people against visiting Toronto. Studies now show that no matter what we do, people still refuse to come and visit.

Not that there's anything you guys can do about it, but I'm just venting. Here's an article that came out yesterday.....

RATS (Reluctant American Tourist Syndrome)

MARTIN KNELMAN

My evidence is anecdotal but alarming.

A travel article in the New York Times advises readers to head for Montreal, because it has all the advantages of being in Canada ? but is free of SARS.

Screenwriter Arlene Sarner, who flew in for Sunday's invitational premiere of Gail Singer's marvellously enjoyable documentary Watching Movies (which should reach the public next fall), reports there were only 20 passengers on the normally packed flight from L.A.

A colleague e-mails that at a recent L.A. dinner party, Topic A was Toronto's second SARS outbreak. A film executive who had been at the Cannes film festival flew straight to Toronto for his wedding. To his dismay, a large contingent of guests, including his entire New York office, failed to show up for the big day. A publicist at the dinner predicted that this year a lot of Americans will skip the Toronto International Film Festival and go the Telluride Film Festival instead.

At the Shaw Festival in Niagara-on-the-Lake on the Saturday of a U.S. long weekend (Memorial Day), there were few American visitors.

Only a few weeks ago, the challenge was to mount a marketing campaign that would show the world there was no reason not to come to Toronto. At that point, there was reason to believe the 2003 summer tourist season could be salvaged.

Americans just needed to be reassured. Mike Myers made a special appearance on The Tonight Show to spread the word. If only we could stage a mammoth concert to boost Toronto, possibly with the Rolling Stones, surely the problem would be fixed.

Then came the second SARS outbreak ? and everything changed.

Two weeks ago, the Ontario government was on the verge of launching a major ad campaign in Michigan, New York and Ohio to draw tourists. It was called off when officials realized the ads would be appearing on the same TV channels as news reports of Toronto's latest SARS setback.

David Mirvish had enjoyed huge success selling theatre tickets for May and June through his "Time for a Little T.O." promotional bargain package, including hotel rooms and restaurant meals. He was going to do something similar for July and August targeted at Americans ? until research indicated resistance to Toronto is so high that bargain prices wouldn't help.

Instead, he announced The Lion King will close on Sept. 28. In truth, even before SARS I, the big Disney musical was showing the symptoms of a disease that afflicts all shows sooner or later ? Sagging Advance Sales Syndrome (SASS). But with a boost from a normal summer's influx of Americans, it would likely have staggered on until January.

My conclusion: This year the Americans aren't coming, period. It's time to stop kidding ourselves, face the nasty reality, and move to plan B.

The Shaw Festival and Stratford Festival, which derive 40 per cent of their box office revenue from U.S. patrons, are likely to face deficits in the millions ? and may need bail-out funding.

If SARS isn't eradicated by mid-July, we may have to contemplate a film festival without visiting stars, directors, buyers, sellers and journalists.

All we can do now is figure out how to survive without American visitors in 2003, and who's going to pick up the bill for their no-show. Then we should plan several knockout attractions for the 2004, plus a smart ad campaign, to lure them back.

Mrs. Edge said:

The ignorance and hysteria is really ridiculous, even though yesterday The World Health Organization said they had no plans to issue another travel advisory warning people against visiting Toronto. Studies now show that no matter what we do, people still refuse to come and visit.

This whole thing is truly based on hysteria and ignorance. The media has blown this so out of proportion and scared people into thinking SARS is just a sneeze away if they cross the Canadian border.

The odds of actually contracting it outside of a hospital or an area with a known outbreak are pretty low and most of the people who died from SARS were either elderly or had compromised immune systems.

I have no intention of changing my plans to visit Toronto this summer...I will eat in the restaurants, use public transportion and happily spend my American tourist dollars :yes:

Pictures of Toronto (from the NY Times :sexywink: )

02-cart.jpg

02-im-not-dead.jpg

well it's partially the city of toronto's fault had they just not protested the orginal WHO travel advisory and focused on solving the problem ..for the long term of the summer as opposed to salvaging the early summer tourism industry..they may not be in the spot they are in now.

toronto is a great city..and I want this thing to pass so I can get back to enjoying it driving on the gardner expresway at night is one of my fave things in the world. ..I want to do it soon!!!!

Well the thing is it WAS gone...no more cases for a couple of months, even the Centre for Disease Control in Atlanta said they did an exceptional job....but then I guess this one undetected case ruined everything. Hopefully they learned their lesson and things will improve.

But seriously, it is baaad. They say the economic impact on Toronto will be billions...worse than post 9-11 NY. Businesses are going to be going belly up like crazy.

Even the Zoo might be closed for 7 months of the year now. :(

It's all so absurd, because EVERYTHING is the same around the city and NO ONE wears masks. Arun, if I can take the subway every day, YOU can drive across the Gardiner from the safety of your ramshackle car! ;)

ahhh but jess...if I took the gardiner..I would HAVE to come visit you

and since you've been riding the subway....can't do that

ramshackle huh????...it's got 150k+ miles....it's gettin retired soon I believe this trip to cleveland willb e last with this car...oh...my dear grand am you served me so well *sniffle*

sad to see this happen. i've been to Toronto before and I will go again. this has been so overblown...i would not be afraid to visit Toronto today if i were able to. :slant:

Thank you Fly For Freedom! I don't know where you're from, but I wish there were more like you!

Today they had an article saying that none of the waitstaff or people in the hospitality industry can make ends meet anymore...they are down to 40% or less of their business, and with hardly any tips, they are all getting broke.

Meanwhile, Ozzie Osbourne has said that there's no way he's cancelling his gig here, he says he has made a commitment to the fans and he's sticking to it. And, just for fun:

Musicians cancelling T.O. gigs 'wankers,' says Johnny Rotten

John Lydon proved Friday he's still the acid-tongued punk lovingly known by legions of fans as Johnny Rotten when he trained his verbal guns on everything from celebrities afraid of SARS to people who download music from the Internet.

"Who told them not to come?" Lydon asked of all the musicians, including Elton John and the Dixie Chicks, who have recently cancelled gigs in Toronto in the wake of its SARS outbreak.

"I made my own decisions. Hello, I am a free person. I'm not a number. That's why I'm here and those wankers are not."

That characteristically Rotten rant, given during a keynote speech at the North by Northeast music conference, was followed by his thoughts on what role he'd like to play on the big screen.

"It would be Jesus Christ," replied Lydon, who also fronted the band Public Image Ltd. after the Sex Pistols broke up in 1978. "And I'll do the musical too. Jesus Christ, the Canadian version, SuperSARS."

Every time we get a celebrity whining over this, it makes my blood boil.

Since I am required to wear the SARS get up when I'm in the ER, I can tell you it's horrible. The masks are uncomfortable. That metal thing that goes over the bridge of your nose hurts and it leaves a deep red imprint. It's about a thousand degrees in the mask, it becomes condensed as you breathe in and out and you feel like you're gasping for oxygen because there is no flow of air. I hate it. The antibacterial stuff for hand washing feels like pure alcohol, and your skin is so dry afterwards. Plus, filling out the forms and questionnaires for everything.

So cry me a river, Elton John.

I'm actually at a greater risk for West Nile flu than I am SARS. There have been West Nile cases in Alabama and the thing is more lethal than SARS is. People are just going nuts.

We've got West Nile too....it's just been overshadowed by the SARS hysteria. I hear that a few midwest states have monkeypox now!

anitram I read the story in the Star a few weeks ago about what the nurses go through...it's really really awful, I don't know how you stand it!

:hug:

Bono need's to get home and knock a few heads together. This today from the Irish Times news:

The president of the Special Olympics, Mr Timothy P. Shriver, last night described the Government's decision to ask athletes from SARS-affected areas to stay away from the event as a "low point" in the history of the Games, writes Carl O'Brien

Mr Shriver said Ireland had been chosen as the first country to host the Games outside the United States because of its welcoming reputation, but he was "shocked" at the travel restriction imposed by health authorities.

"This low point in our wonder-filled movement only makes us more determined than ever to pursue relentlessly our single-minded mission: changing one attitude and one life at a time to make the world a kinder, more accepting place for those whom we tend to overlook."

The Department of Health's decision this week means 100 athletes from areas such as Taiwan, Toronto, Hong Kong, Beijing and other parts of China will not be able to travel to the Games.

It said any athletes from areas on the World Health Organisation's official list of infected areas should be asked not to travel to the Games.

It has also ruled out travel quarantine measures proposed by a number of countries because WHO officials were not available to monitor the safety measures.

He added that it would be a "tragic irony" if Special Olympics athletes would suffer the indignity of being unable to travel when they were already forced to deal with attitudes of exclusion and rejection.

"It's certainly a sad day for the Special Olympics movement around the world, and I believe it is a sad day for the proud and beautiful country of Ireland," Mr Shriver said.

Officials from Hong Kong are due to meet senior staff from the Department of Health today in a final bid to convince Irish authorities to allow their athletes to travel to the Games.

However, time is rapidly running out and there is little sign of any softening in the stance of the Department of Health. The Hong Kong delegation is proposing isolation measures which would take between 10 and 14 days. However, the Games are due to begin in just over two weeks.

The Hong Kong Special Olympics group yesterday accused the Irish Government of discriminating against its athletes and ignoring proposals to allow them to compete.

The chairman, Mr David Ip, said: "The Irish Government is promoting discrimination against persons with mental handicaps. They do not ban tourists and merchants from travelling to Ireland. Why should the mentally handicapped be rejected?" he asked.

anitram said:
Every time we get a celebrity whining over this, it makes my blood boil.

Since I am required to wear the SARS get up when I'm in the ER, I can tell you it's horrible. The masks are uncomfortable. That metal thing that goes over the bridge of your nose hurts and it leaves a deep red imprint. It's about a thousand degrees in the mask, it becomes condensed as you breathe in and out and you feel like you're gasping for oxygen because there is no flow of air. I hate it. The antibacterial stuff for hand washing feels like pure alcohol, and your skin is so dry afterwards. Plus, filling out the forms and questionnaires for everything.

So cry me a river, Elton John.

i hear you, trust me. what a miserable thing. :huh:

SARS, West Nile, and now...Monkeypox! this whole thing would be amusing if it wasn't so damn serious.:no:

theres not much anyone can do about this. SARS happened, its new and curious so the media are going to over analyze. unfortunately perception is everything so if you travel based on what you hear...toronto is an unlikely destination this summer. the dollar doesn't help, nor does bush's staff posturing about a 'fractured relationship'.

ill be flying in and out multiple times this summer...:)

This just takes the cake!!!!! :tsk: :rolleyes:

Horror of inflight movie star

Have you heard the one about Sarah Polley on a plane to Los Angeles?

Polley, one of our national acting treasures, was seated between two businessmen and having a delightful inflight conversation with them until she took off her jacket revealing ? shock, horror! ? a dreaded Toronto T-shirt.

It was the deal breaker. Polley's hitherto affable flying companions asked to be assigned new seats.

"The world loves to be paranoid," says Polley's agent Celia Chassels. "Remember when bacon was going to kill us?"

Now, Bacon may save us. Because fear of SARS has devastated the entertainment industry in Toronto, Kevin Bacon could be the only American star coming to Toronto to film this summer. He and his wife, Kyra Sedgwick, are due in this city in July to shoot the TV-movie Cavedweller.

Not only is SARS-paranoia taking food from the mouths of everyone from makeup artists to dry cleaners, SARS has impacted on the hands that feed the talent.

The care and feeding of cast and crew have become so antiseptic, it looks like Halloween on TV and film sets. The traditional groaning board of goodies ? huge bowls of candy and snacks to dive into indiscriminately ? has been replaced with individual portions of chips, candies, nuts and trail mix similar to the treats dispensed at the door to goblins during Halloween.

But there is no assembly line of elves wrapping the treats one by one in plastic wrap. They have been custom wrapped by suppliers, says David Kinnersly, operations manager of Star Craft, which provides craft services ? the life-sustaining snack foods ? on sets up to 12 hours a day.

"There is no more communal food," attests Kinnersly. "There are no longer big bowls of goodies because it is not as hygienic. Everything has been pre-portioned. Instead of giving us a large container of candies, our suppliers parcel out a reasonable amount of candies."

The crudities they do themselves.

"We cut up the veggies and portion them out in zip-lock bags. We need to reassure the people in L.A. that it is safe to work here: Everything the crew and cast eats is pre-packaged or prepared for safety. Our suppliers basically came on board because if we are not busy, they are not busy. It's a chain reaction. The livelihoods of thousands of people are affected."

Star Craft is currently servicing 11 productions including Welcome To Mooseport, Doc, Street Time, Confessions Of A Teenage Drama Queen and Radio Free Nutley and there have been no SARS specific riders in the contracts of the talent.

"There has always been the `I want this, I want this' factor," Kinnersly allows. "There have always been crazy requests (like exclusively black jujubes) but there is nothing related to SARS."

Capers On Location has provided on-site hot-and-cold meals to Toronto shoots and concerts for the last two decades. Capers fed the entire production of Chicago, is currently providing sustenance to such productions as Soul Food, DeGrassi, Mutant X, Dawn Of The Dead, The Playmakers and will feed Coldplay at the Molson Amphitheatre tomorrow.

Using hand sanitizers is a given and food handling has become a labour of glove, emphasizes Shaire Stevenson, Capers owner.

"No one is wearing a SARS mask," she emphasizes, "but everyone wears gloves. Crews are not allowed to touch the food; only a server using salad tongs and wearing gloves does.

"That said, SARS is not spread by food handlers, though we have lots and lots of precautions. Everything is clean and safe."

If SARS has induced a major headache for the caterers and craft services, they can't even dip into an industrial-sized bottle of Advil on set.

They have to break into a zip lock baggie bearing the prescribed two tablets.

What about concerts and other gatherings? A scare like this could wipe out any travel to places that could be on the tour agenda for many a group, U2 included. No one wants to draw 20 to 50,000 people together with the possibility of spreading SARS.
*begins to worry about seeing anyone in concert*

SARS is NOT in the community right now. That means that unless U2 or anybody else is performing in a hospital ward, there is no fear of spread.

Coldplay just put on a show last night, it was brilliant, and they said they did not want to cancel.

The Stones should be coming on July 30th for a concert for half a million people and tix are $20. The concert for Toronto, with all Canadian acts goes on in the next couple of weeks, and all 70,000 tickets have been sold out.

anitram....is OLP playing that gig?..man I really want to see them live.

Monkeypox......:no:

This is just plain STUPID. Who the HELL hold Prairie Dogs as pets? And WHY? You almost are asking for something to happen.

SARS and Toronto: If I see another report about Toronto and SARS...I am going to scream. Everytime a baseball team is scheduled to play the Blue Jays, the big story is SARS...not baseball. :no: :no:

I look forward to my next trip to TO.

I think I posted a thread about "racism and SARS" a while back. I talked about "avoiding" people at the airport with masks on. Is this something that is happening in TO?

Last edited:
I was in Burger King at the airport in Phoenix waiting for my connecting flight home yesterday and a woman was sitting near me, trying to eat a hamburger with a SARS mask on. She looked like a jackass. The paranoia out there is amazing.

well I jsut aprtied with the TO u2 fans..pleased to say they all passed my medical examination

Arun V said:
well I jsut aprtied with the TO u2 fans..pleased to say they all passed my medical examination

You didn't examine me. :sexywink:

:sigh: Just got back from an all staff meeting at the National Ballet School. SARS is costing us $20,000 from a rental of our theatre, because the company who was going to rent it has pulled out, fearing lack of attendees at their show.

Our teachers' seminar is also down this year, and we usuall make money from fees from teachers from outside of T.O. and around the world. These losses are all totally unexpected and unbudgeted, and will put us in a deficit for the first time in 8 yrs. Fortunately, we have enough to cover it in our surplus, but it totally sucks because it isn't our fault!

Advisory: G.A.S.H.

While everyone else is getting their usual dose of porn spam I get this stuff...lol...NOT trying to make light but it did kind of hit a funny bone.

A man returns from a trip and is feeling very ill. He goes to see his doctor and is immediately rushed to the hospital to undergo a series of tests.

The man wakes up after these tests in a private room at the hospital and the phone by his bed rings."This is your doctor," says the voice on the phone. "We have the results back from your tests. I'm sorry to report that you have an extremely contagious deadly disease known as G.A.S.H."

"G.A.S.H?" replies the man. "WHAT in the h@!! is THAT?"

"It's a combination of illnesses including Gonorrhea, AIDS, SARS, and Herpes,"explains the doctor.

"My gosh, Doc!" screams the man in a panic, "what are we going to do?"

"Well we're going to put you on a strict diet of pizza, pancakes, quesadillas, and pita bread," says the doctor matter-of-factly.

"Will that cure me?"

"Well, no," says the doctor, "but it's the only food that will fit under the door."

Back
Top Bottom