The Stigma of SARS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
anitram said:

You didn't examine me. :sexywink:

:sexywink:

Btw....it was really sad i was at a leukemia fundraiser yesterday and this girl who was a patient had "Leukemia..not SARS" written on her mask. It was actually a pretty powerful image in my head.

zonelistener said:
Monkeypox......:no:

Gasp! Now no one can visit America because they might get Monkeypox!

I have a fairly negative view of American media, which tends to be highly ethnocentric. On terrorist acts, there is a stark difference between the aftermath of Oklahoma City and 9/11. In other words, we didn't go out and start arresting everyone who is white and in a militia. But I dare to wonder what would have happened if it were non-white militias? Heck, the sympathy that gets passed around for Waco is sickening, particularly considering the people who would have cheered if it were a compound of Muslims.

SARS? Again, a disease that originated out of Asia, so it automatically gets the "non-white" treatment. The same with West Nile virus (anyone remember that old hype? It's still around, though!). But monkeypox? Well, white people got it. It's a "localized" disease.

Melon

Well, the Stones love us anyway....there have of course been rumours of U2 being on this bill which I find highly unlikely, but could you imagine? :cute: One thing's for sure, if U2 were on tour, there's no way they would cancel.

Stones pledge to play benefit in Toronto on July 30
Docklands concert aims to help economy

Band hopes to `bring back the energy'

The Rolling Stones will play a SARS benefit concert in Toronto on July 30, Mick Jagger has confirmed.

The Star was shown video footage yesterday in which Jagger, standing with his bandmates, confirmed their participation in the show. The tape is to be played at a news conference next week.

"We're happy to tell you that we're coming to play on July 30 in a great concert for the people in the city of Toronto, to help bring back the energy to our favourite city," Jagger said in a message taped on the set of a Stones show in Munich. He wrapped up by thanking those who've facilitated the event."We want to say thank you to everyone who's helped to make the show possible: the province of Ontario, the city of Toronto, special thanks to the ministry of tourism, Alan Rock, and our sponsors, Molson's."

The free concert, designed to rejuvenate a flailing entertainment economy in the wake of SARS, had been discussed for weeks by MP Dennis Mills (Toronto-Danforth).

Mills and Senator Jerry Grafstein have spent recent weeks trying to dredge up private and public support for the concert's $10 million price tag.

Grafstein has said the concert will take place on the city's docklands, so the downtown skyline will be visible behind the stage.

Mrs Edge, are you going to see the Stones?

I'm going to go, but lining up might be a total nightmare.

BAW, what a great idea!!! :hyper:

Yes, I think I would like to go, if only to see what it's like! It's so odd being the subject of a benefit concert, you usually think of Live Aid and African countries and stuff like that, but it's very cool.

I had the tickets to the Stones' Hong Kong concert, but they cancelled it and well... I don't think I'll get a second chance to see them. :(

In the past few months, our Education and Manpower Bureau told us we had to wear masks in schools . Imagine sitting in a classroom, it's 30 something degrees Celsius, 80+% humidity with no air-conditioners on.(they "disperse the virus") It was like hell for all of us...

I think the mask thingy is just crazy over here... I went hiking every Sunday and there're some people actually wear masks even though there isn't much people around. Maybe they thought trees got SARS too... :rolleyes:

Oh Christiana, that really sucks. :( I am so glad I don't have to wear a mask...especially in the heat. YUCK!!!

Further news....this rumour about U2 playing is going rampant in Toronto now. They were even talking about it on Q107 this morning. They are making an announcement tomorrow. The stress is just KILLING ME!!!! :crazy:

For those not in the EYKIW forum:

From CBC:

TORONTO - The Rolling Stones will headline a nine-hour music event to boost the SARS-tainted image of Toronto, in what organizers are billing as the greatest concert of the century.

"People are going to gasp when they see the lineup," Toronto Liberal MP Dennis Mills told ArtsCanada, adding that an official announcement will be made Tuesday morning.

Mills hopes to attract 350,000 people to the event, with half of the tickets sold to the U.S. Tickets will be priced at $19.95.

Mills refused to comment on who will join the Stones for the July 30 concert, only saying that talent will come from across Canada, Europe and the United States.

"This is the concert of the century. I can tell you right now you will not challenge that once there's the formal announcement."

The event, which will run from 2 p.m. to 11 p.m., will be staged at the Downsview Centre in Toronto - the same venue where the Pope held World Youth Day celebrations last summer.

"This is to antidote the international image out there that we are a leper colony," Mills said.

Proceeds, after expenses, and one dollar from every ticket sold will go to health care and hospitality workers.

The government will chip in $3.5 million to cover infrastructure expenses, with the private sector covering the rest of the $11 million price tag.

Mills said one goal is to fill the 95,000 hotel and motel spaces from Niagara to Oshawa during the event.

Mills said the event will also feature a huge barbecue to help promote Canadian beef in the wake of the discovery of mad cow disease in an Alberta cow.

Back
Top Bottom