The Statue of Liberation Through Christ - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-22-2006, 03:11 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,284
Local Time: 04:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Maoilbheannacht


Is this thread still about the 2008 election?
Let's get back on topic then.

__________________

__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 08-22-2006, 06:33 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 09:59 AM
Thanks yolland. As a historian I have similar sentiments. In fact, Franklin was a great admirer of Voltaire, who believed in God but was ferociously anti-clerical. If you've ever read Candide, as I have four times, you get where he's coming from.
__________________

__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 08-23-2006, 09:48 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


This scares the shit out of me...

This country is failing.
Yes, Christianity is SOOOOO scary these days.



And the link to the picture: http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ska/facism.jpg

And the link to the source:
http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/paddykraska/

These are PHOTOSHOP jobs. The poster's intentions are unclear to me, as to whether this was supposed to be humorous, exagerrated, or manipulated.

I will let Anitram speak for herself.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 08-23-2006, 10:16 AM   #34
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 10:59 AM
Why do you say that? Here's a link to the actual New York Times story the picture came from. Looks exactly the same to me.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 08-23-2006, 10:20 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
Why do you say that? Here's a link to the actual New York Times story the picture came from. Looks exactly the same to me.
Okay, now we actually have valid links.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/...berty.1901.jpg

The original post had a misleading link, as mentioned.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 08-23-2006, 10:22 AM   #36
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,667
Local Time: 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
Yes, Christianity is SOOOOO scary these days.



And the link to the picture: http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ska/facism.jpg

And the link to the source:
http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i228/paddykraska/

These are PHOTOSHOP jobs. The poster's intentions are unclear to me, as to whether this was supposed to be humorous, exagerrated, or manipulated.

I will let Anitram speak for herself.
I didn't say Christianity, please look at my earlier post.

And about the first photo, you are wrong. As for the second, the link takes me to a whole album, so I'm not sure what you are talking about.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 08-23-2006, 10:29 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


I didn't say Christianity, please look at my earlier post.

And about the first photo, you are wrong. As for the second, the link takes me to a whole album, so I'm not sure what you are talking about.
About the link, fine. It misled me. Don't worry about it.

AS FOR YOUR ARGUMENT:

You didn't specify what exactly "scares the shit" out of you.

Is it evangelical Christians?
Is it some kind of theocratic doctorine I should be aware of?

And if so, why?

Because they believe that God has blessed their country?

Fill me in.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 08-23-2006, 10:36 AM   #38
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,667
Local Time: 03:59 AM
80's asked me the same exact question a couple pages back, please read.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 08-23-2006, 10:40 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
It reeks of people who aren't very tolerant of other religions in this country...

And that scares me.
How is that? Are they raiding the homes of Buddhists? Hindus? Jews?

And to what point would you consider to be intolerant?
Believing that Jesus is the Son of God?
Believing that Christianity is the one true faith?
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 08-23-2006, 10:43 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 05:59 AM
Quote:
"It's a big issue," Ms. Nelson said. "Liberty's supposed to have a fire, not a cross."
Great. Another Christophobe pretending to be patriotic.

Quote:
Elena Martinez, a loan officer visiting Memphis from Houston, said her family was speechless at the sight.

"The Statue of Liberty has a different meaning for the country," Ms. Martinez said. "It doesn't need to be used in a religious sense."
Yes, but it can. And it will.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 08-23-2006, 10:46 AM   #41
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,667
Local Time: 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
How is that? Are they raiding the homes of Buddhists? Hindus? Jews?

And to what point would you consider to be intolerant?
The Statue of Liberty has always been a sign of welcoming among other things, a welcome sign for all, once you turn it into a "christian" symbol you you've destroyed that.

If this symbol is truly what you want for America then you are turning this country into what Saudi Arabia is for Christianity for all other religions.

Sounds like the tolerant melting pot of America doesn't it?
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 08-23-2006, 10:49 AM   #42
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,667
Local Time: 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
Great. Another Christophobe pretending to be patriotic.
He's stating a fact, how is this being a Christophobe, you have no clue of his faith. Do you know his faith?


Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe

Yes, but it can. And it will.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 08-23-2006, 10:52 AM   #43
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,483
Local Time: 04:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
How is that? Are they raiding the homes of Buddhists? Hindus? Jews?

And to what point would you consider to be intolerant?
Believing that Jesus is the Son of God?
Believing that Christianity is the one true faith?


no. the scary part is when you take these tenants of faith and think that they should be used to govern people.

Christianity is not a political party, nor does it give you license to hate.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 08-23-2006, 10:54 AM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
The Statue of Liberty has always been a sign of welcoming among other things, a welcome sign for all, once you turn it into a "christian" symbol you you've destroyed that.
It is also a work of art, and art can be shaped and interpreted in any way you want it to be. I see no harm in those who chose to express their freedom of religion in this form.

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
If this symbol is truly what you want for America then you are turning this country into what Saudi Arabia is for Christianity for all other religions.
First off, there are many ways to express your first amendment rights. They aren't forcibly redesigning the Statue of Liberty, nor are they legislating against other cultures by doing it.

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Sounds like the tolerant melting pot of America doesn't it?
First off, too many have engaged in cultural segregation rather than embracing the idea of the melting pot. I'm unclear as to whether your definition of "melting pot" fits mine.

Melting Pot: A place where immigrants of different cultures or races form an integrated society.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 08-23-2006, 10:57 AM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
no. the scary part is when you take these tenants of faith and think that they should be used to govern people.

Christianity is not a political party, nor does it give you license to hate.
There was no "hatred" expressed on the statue. All they are doing is letting people know that their founding fathers emphasized our endowment given by the Creator. They aren't even burning the Koran if you can believe that.
__________________

__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com