the start of World War III? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2006, 11:26 AM   #31
The Fly

Local Time: 12:27 AM
Interesting view, Mrs.S. I find it to be very valid. Lately I’ve been reading up on the effects of the Black Death on the social structure of Europe. By all accounts that was a catastrophe far worse than anything that the world has seen since – and it certainly changed the world. It’s interesting that e.g. the writings of Langland, Petrarch and Boccaccio show the same range of emotion that we see today. Some respond by fatalism, some by indulging their pleasures.

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
As far as building nuclear plants to sustain a hydrogen economy we don't have enough Uranium for it to last long term, some magic bullet energy supply like nuclear fusion would be ideal to replaces fossil fuels but I doubt that is going to happen for a few decades yet (ITER is only now just going ahead).
I think that the results from JET were rather encouraging.

Old 07-15-2006, 11:33 AM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Interesting post, Mrs. Springsteen. We've had huge catastrophes like the Black Death, and this was accepted in many different ways by different people as Europe was devastated. It probably helped bring on the Protestant Reformation and other major changes, so maybe we are in for some big time changes ourselves.

Old 07-16-2006, 05:18 PM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:27 PM
TROUBLE IN THE HOLY LAND
Gingrich: It is World War III
Ex-U.S. House speaker asks public: 'Which side do you think should win?'

"We're in the early stages of what I would describe as the Third World War and, frankly, our bureaucracy's not responding fast enough and we don't have the right attitude. And this is the 58th year of the war to destroy Israel and, frankly, the Israelis have every right to insist that every single missile leave south Lebanon, and the United States ought to be helping the Lebanese government have the strength to eliminate Hezbollah as a military force – not as a political force in the parliament – but as a military force in south Lebanon."

Asked NBC host Tim Russert, "This is World War III?"

"I believe if you take all the countries I just listed that you've been covering, put them on a map, look at all the different connectivity, you have to say to yourself: this is, in fact, World War III," Gingrich responded.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:24 PM   #34
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:27 PM
Well if Gingrich says so...
Old 07-17-2006, 08:05 AM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:27 PM
That's very irresponsible on Gingrich's part

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/07/16/kristol-williams/

This morning on Fox News Sunday, William Kristol argued that the Bush administration’s “coddling” of Iran had “invited” the latest outbreak of violence, and that the United States should join in the current fighting. Juan Williams pushed back:

You just want war, war, war, and you want us in more war. You wanted us in Iraq. Now you want us in Iran. Now you want us to get into the Middle East. … You’re saying, why doesn’t the United States take this hard, unforgiving line? Well, the hard and unforgiving line has been, we don’t talk to anybody. We don’t talk to Hamas. We don’t talk to Hezbollah. We’re not going to talk to Iran. Where has it gotten us, Bill?

Kristol threw up his hands and didn’t answer
Old 07-17-2006, 08:21 AM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

I think too many people take pleasure in the idea of WWIII. That's where we get people like William Kristol, who would take pleasure in watching the world end from his mansion, sitting in his massage chair in front of his 100-inch HDTV. His only lament is that FOX News does not air in 1080p, and he is forced to settle for a dismal 480i resolution. But these are the sacrifices that must be made!

However, all the apocalyptic wet dreams in the world does not make it true. We have a number of steps that would have to be taken before we could call this WWIII. I think it is far too premature to be making such a serious label, particularly when the concept of a "world war" has since been labelled as one that uses maximum weapon capabilities. It has been argued that a true "world war" now could not have such a label without the use of nuclear weapons.

Melon
Old 07-17-2006, 08:27 AM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:27 AM
Would we consider the Cold War to the WW3? If so then we are in WW4 and it started a while back.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:30 AM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I think too many people take pleasure in the idea of WWIII. That's where we get people like William Kristol, who would take pleasure in watching the world end from his mansion, sitting in his massage chair in front of his 100-inch HDTV. His only lament is that FOX News does not air in 1080p, and he is forced to settle for a dismal 480i resolution. But these are the sacrifices that must be made!
I can't laugh in this thread but that is funny, if it wasn't so true and so sad. He's not the only one, for far too many people this is all some bizarre sort of macho form of entertainment. I do believe now that they all want WWIII. I hope they can live with what they wish for if they get it. I am sickened by and so scared of the whole thing-these people and the world situation.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:31 AM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Would we consider the Cold War to the WW3? If so then we are in WW4 and it started a while back.
No. The Cold War is aptly named, because it was an amorphous, general conflict that was mostly defined by its inactivity, rather than its activity. There was always the threat of WWIII, but, thankfully, it never happened.

Melon
Old 07-17-2006, 08:43 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I'm with Melon. I mean, obviously, I have to be, belonging to his forum and all.

No, seriously, there is waaay to much of this hyping up going on, and with the bloodythirsty 24-7 media ramping up the fear, it's mildly ironic to me to recall that the North Korean missile test is what started this thread, and it probably continues a week later mainly only because of the situation in Lebanon/Israel.

I'm rapidly losing the ability to grapple with this stuff while maintaining any peace of mind. My beliefs remain as they always were. This is my life and I want to have it. I don't want to be one of those millions in some history book who just got wiped out (albeit this is fairly unlikely in Australia).
Old 07-17-2006, 08:44 AM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

I can't laugh in this thread but that is funny, if it wasn't so true and so sad. He's not the only one, for far too many people this is all some bizarre sort of macho form of entertainment. I do believe now that they all want WWIII. I hope they can live with what they wish for if they get it. I am sickened by and so scared of the whole thing-these people and the world situation.
I do not want to see somebody try to return the Occulted with nuclear weapons.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:30 PM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:27 PM
This war that we seem to be entering won't be like wars previous.

I see it as a 100 yr war and we are approaching just the beginning of it.

With the advent of tecnology, terrorists, and misinformation I see this as a long awful struggle.

I do pray for different results and know that the course can be change...this is the only hope I have.

dbs
Old 07-17-2006, 03:40 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Thank you Nostradiamond
Old 07-17-2006, 05:05 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Thank you Nostradiamond
Old 07-17-2006, 06:40 PM   #45