The Social Phenomenon Of "Stupid Girls" - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2006, 11:49 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AussieU2fanman
Smart isn't sexy, most guys don't want to feel intimidated by a female of potentially higher intellectual capacity. Many guys find stupider girls more appealing as they can be controlled more easily and our role as the 'dominant' sex isn't threatened.

Get over male domination, it doesn't work anymore unless a woman wants it to, so whos stupid now?

Old 04-11-2006, 11:57 AM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:57 PM
Re: The Social Phenomenon Of "Stupid Girls"

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Pink was on Oprah yesterday talking about this, they did a whole show about how the role models for young girls today are dumbing themselves down in order to be popular, in order to sell records and movies.

Not much different than politicians today. Well at least some, the others don't have to pretend.

Old 04-11-2006, 12:01 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Thank God I have boys because in this day and age I dont know what I would do with girls;

The role models are:
Paris Hilton
Nicole Richie
Kimberely Stewart
Nicky Hilton
Jessica Simpson
Britney Spears
Mary Kate & Ashely Olsen
etc.

There is acutally a game that is marketed towards girls that is called Dream Life. My first thought was OMG whats wrong with their everyday life, they have to make up a make believe one and look different and become someone who they are not!

Then theres the half naked Bratz dolls. No one dresses like these doll with out getting arrested. There is another example of a role model.

Girls need to know they have a brain and how to use it, these type of girls are just using the wrong part of the brain!
Old 04-11-2006, 12:04 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:57 AM
As a girl all my role models are men and always have been. That always bugs me, because I want a woman to look up to, but no one really strikes me as role model worthy.

ETA: Sure there are plenty of great women out there, but so few do I look at and say "I want to be like her when I'm older."
Old 04-11-2006, 12:06 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:57 AM
Quote:
Smart isn't sexy, most guys don't want to feel intimidated by a female of potentially higher intellectual capacity. Many guys find stupider girls more appealing as they can be controlled more easily and our role as the 'dominant' sex isn't threatened.
i know you're speaking in jest, but i can tell you that as a longstanding member of the nerdy girls club, i've seen this happen fairly often. it's incredibly frustrating.

fantastic thread, MrsS. i admit i didn't tune in to the show yesterday mostly because pink drives me up the wall, but she's bang on on this topic.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:08 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
As a girl all my role models are men and always have been. That always bugs me, because I want a woman to look up to, but no one really strikes me as role model worthy.

ETA: Sure there are plenty of great women out there, but so few do I look at and say "I want to be like her when I'm older."

Helen Keller
Harriet Tubman
Coretta Scott King
Mary Cassatt
Georgia O'keefe
Amelia Earhardt
Florence Nightingale
The brave women in the army right now

You don't have to be like any of these women you just have to be yourself....but you can take qualities from some of these incredible women only to list a few.!
Old 04-11-2006, 12:16 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

i make my little sister mix CDs with "positive" female artists:

Joni Mitchell
Aimee Mann
Annie Lennox
Emmylou Harris
Lauryn Hill
Innocence Mission
Joan Armatrading
Tracy Chapman
Kate Bush
Lucinda Williams
Neko Case
Patti Smith
PJ Harvey
Rickie Lee Jones
Old 04-11-2006, 12:25 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

There are loads of examples within modern culture of women selling themselves short. The stuff mentioned about "chick literature" above also applies somewhat to "chick flicks" at the cinema as well. I actually think stuff like Bridget Jones Diary films also send out messages of what women should be aspiring to. The central character aspires to have a boyfriend and her happiness is defined by whether she is dating or not
Old 04-11-2006, 12:31 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

Joni Mitchell
Aimee Mann
Annie Lennox
Emmylou Harris
Lauryn Hill
Innocence Mission
Joan Armatrading
Tracy Chapman
Kate Bush
Lucinda Williams
Neko Case
Patti Smith
PJ Harvey
Rickie Lee Jones
Ha! Thats great Perhaps people should also be making CD's like this for their little brothers as well
Old 04-11-2006, 12:45 PM   #25
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
What a great thread .

where I live, the "stupid girl" thing isn't that evident, there aren't many girls who can spend high amounts of money on expensive, vane things. But it is something that it is certainly growing, and it contrasts with the poverty that many girls and women are suffering, with the same consequences: humillation and lack of real opportunities.

I've seen many books and magazines for young girls and I can't believe how the editors and public in general let this kind of material being published. girls and young women are strong, complex beings by nature, potentially beautiful and smart at the same time, but this culture seems to be against that and tries to produce plain human beings, at the service of the economy.

Quote:
Originally posted by dandy

i know you're speaking in jest, but i can tell you that as a longstanding member of the nerdy girls club, i've seen this happen fairly often. it's incredibly frustrating.

yeah it is... there are many men who can't understand why a girl prefer to study or work, instead of dedicate her entire time to them. I've been there too , I had a boyfriend who was very lazy at college and he always asked me "why do you study that much? "do you rather work in that project instead of being with me????"
Old 04-11-2006, 12:48 PM   #26
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

Joni Mitchell
Aimee Mann
Annie Lennox
Emmylou Harris
Lauryn Hill
Innocence Mission
Joan Armatrading
Tracy Chapman
Kate Bush
Lucinda Williams
Neko Case
Patti Smith
PJ Harvey
Rickie Lee Jones

I wish I was your little sister, Irvine.

What a kickass mix to get!

I love the Pink song. She used to bug me when she first came out, but when she started writing songs like "Don't Let Me Get Me" and now this one, she's really standing out from the Jessicas and Britneys of the world.

I'm trying to think of who my role models/heroes were when I was a little girl and this is what I came up with:

- Laura Ingalls Wilder

- Anne Frank

- Madonna (yes, for all her sexual messages, she is a savvy business woman and look at her longevity!)

- Wonder Woman (Hey, even if she's just a cartoon, look at what she represents)
Old 04-11-2006, 12:52 PM   #27
War Child

Local Time: 01:57 PM
Quote:
....maybe in your part of the world (or perhaps your own little world).....
Old 04-11-2006, 12:59 PM   #28
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Muggsy
girls and young women are strong, complex beings by nature, potentially beautiful and smart at the same time, but this culture seems to be against that and tries to produce plain human beings, at the service of the economy.
Women who are smart and sexy are very threatening to male domination AND to women who are smart or sexy but not both so sadly it's generally not encouraged culturally by either gender.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:32 PM   #29
Refugee

Local Time: 12:57 PM
Quote:
I don't know what it says about me, then, that I can't even imagine being attracted to a woman that I can't hold an intellectual conversation with. Maybe that's why I went out and married my university's valedictorian.

Smart girls.

But then again, my mother is an extremely intelligent person. Maybe that has a lot to do with a male's standards.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:17 PM   #30
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 07:57 PM
The first time I heard this song then saw the video I was proud of Pink for speaking up through her video and lyrics. Good for her. This is really a controversial issue and one worth debating. I give Pink even more respect than I originally had for her for introducing this topic to us and I am glad to hear she was invited onto Oprah to bring it to light! I hope this will prove to be a good positive message to girls (and to guys) that smart girls can be sexy and fun and that stupid girls are pathetic.