The Senate's Last Chance on AIDS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keocmb

Refugee
I came across an interesting Editorial in today's New York Times. Thought it might be of interest to you guys keeping tabs on Bono's rally for AIDS funding.

Over the past year or so, President Bush and many senators have visited Africa to witness first-hand the ravages of AIDS. They hold sick babies, pat the hands of dying women, visit community groups caring for orphans and clinics bereft of medicine. They make heartfelt statements that lives can and must be saved.

Then they come home and stuff the global AIDS budget. Mr. Bush made a worldwide splash by promising a $15 billion, five-year program. He endorsed an authorization of $3 billion for 2004, which was passed by both the House and the Senate. But the White House and the Congressional leadership then conspired to cut the actual money appropriated back to $2.1 billion.

The Senate can take a small step toward righting things today, as it considers an amendment by Senator Mike DeWine of Ohio. Its backers include conservatives like Rick Santorum and liberals like Patrick Leahy, but missing are many moderates who worry about the budget. The amendment would bring the financing for next year up to $2.4 billion. Washington could spend $2 billion on its own AIDS programs and give $400 million to the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria -- half what the rest of the world combined will provide.

The Senate needs to pass the amendment and then persuade the White House and the House of Representatives to support the change. Many senators who voted for tax cuts for the wealthy are suddenly concerned about deficits. This amendment should appeal to the budget-conscious. As AIDS explodes worldwide causing hunger, chaos, and political collapse, it will be America's problem. Every dollar spent today to prevent the spread of the disease and keep parents alive for the children will save money tomorrow. The total the Senate could endorse today falls far short of the need, but it is the last chance to bring Washington closer to keeping its promise to the world in 2004.

Not to make this a bipartisan (sp?) discussion, but I feel "enemy of family values #1" , Bill Clinton, is doing a better job.

From iafrica:

Clinton announced a deal with three Indian and a South African generic-drug companies that will cut the price of a commonly used triple-drug regimen by almost a third, to about 38 cents a day per patient.

Unfortunately it's become a partisan issue, with I believe, 100% R Senate votes saying no the last time it came to the floor. It's sad given the fact that even the ones who faced the horrors with their own two eyes voted against.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Unfortunately it's become a partisan issue, with I believe, 100% R Senate votes saying no the last time it came to the floor. It's sad given the fact that even the ones who faced the horrors with their own two eyes voted against.

No crap! How in the hell could they vote no after witnessing that?!?!

:banghead:.

I hope the Senate reads this letter and rights things quick.

Also, go, Clinton. :up:.

Angela

There's a Rep Senator from Oklahoma that is threatening a filibuster if the vote comes to the floor. If anyone is from there call and register your wish for a vote.

Scarletwine said:
There's a Rep Senator from Oklahoma that is threatening a filibuster if the vote comes to the floor. If anyone is from there call and register your wish for a vote.

He must be one of those new "Compassionate Conservatives"...

Kills me.

They're worried about running out of money but they're present this:

Dear Mr. President,

You?re truly the gift that keeps on giving.

Faced with a record deficit and $87 billion more for Iraq, another president might think of raising taxes on corporations.

Not you.

You and Rep. Bill Thomas are actually working on a plan to give us more than $135 billion in new tax breaks. A special thanks is in order from our friends at companies like Bank of America, Pfizer and Hewlett-Packard. They already dodge taxes by setting up shop in the Cayman Islands and Bermuda, yet still stand to benefit from this latest loophole lollapalooza.

We?ll never forget that you?re the president who slashed our taxes by 40% in just three years. No president has ever managed such a feat.

Quite honestly, though, we want more. So we?ve spent a million bucks to lobby for the Thomas bill, and that doesn?t count the tens of millions we?re giving to your reelection campaign.

By the way, we think it?s ingenious that you call this new windfall the AMERICAN JOBS CREATION ACT. Sure, it?ll create jobs for Americans. If they move to Malaysia.

Thank you, Mr. President. We love you.

Does anyone know exactly which Senators are opposing this bill? Is there a website tracking it and the Senate votes? Thanks for any specific info.

JeffD

i look cool, i am cool. - larry

MrsSpringsteen said:
I firmly believe this shouldn't be a partisan issue, but yes, President Clinton has his own foundation which recently announced that agreement

More about it here

http://www.clintonpresidentialcenter.com/drug_announcement.html
I think that's cool about Clinton doing that..:up:
I wish GW would pressure the drug companies the same way.

The only sad thing is this part-

"The agreement covers antiretroviral drugs (ARVs) delivered to people in Africa and the Caribbean where the Clinton Foundation HIV/AIDS Initiative is working with governments and organizations to set up country-wide integrated care, treatment and prevention programs. It is hoped that up to 2 million people will be receiving medicine by the year 2008. "

2008? TOO MANY prople will die waiting 5 fucking years for cheaper medicine..

DB9

That seems like too little over long time frame, but I guess it's got to start with someone somewhere.
I was reading about this in the Washington Post recently:

Former President Bill Clinton, whose foundation has been pressing for cheaper treatments, said the more affordable drugs could help millions get a longer lease on life.

"There are five to six million people in the developing world with AIDS and in urgent need for the drugs," Clinton told reporters at his Harlem office. "Only 200,000 to 300,000 are receiving treatment. The rest are simply being left to die."

Partnering with three firms in India and South Africa's largest generic drug company, Clinton said antiretroviral drugs will be offered at $140 per person a year, "almost half the current price of inexpensive commonly used drugs."

Human right groups lauded the move.

"For AIDS treatment rates in poor countries to go up, prices have to come down. Today's announcement marks a crucial breakthrough in the AIDS emergency," said Bono, human rights activist and lead singer of rock band U2.

Complete article here
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A7885-2003Oct23.html

Back
Top Bottom