The Secret To Being Married For 80 Years - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2005, 05:57 AM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by pax
Was the "fuck America" really necessary, melon? We all know your feelings on the subject, but your relentless and increasingly reckless bitterness towards just about everyone here is really not adding anything to the environment of constructive criticism and open debate.
For the record, I'm bitter towards one subject and "America" is a non-living entity.

But, for the record, I apologize. Let the constructive criticism and open debate continue, and I'll leave this thread alone.

Melon

Old 06-02-2005, 06:11 AM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:33 PM
That's cool. We get pelted with stories about celebrities' divorces all the time. This is a refreshing change!

Old 06-02-2005, 06:37 AM   #33
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

gee, must be nice.
Irvine, I know you're bothered with not being able to get married in the USA, but is this "poor me"-attitude really gonna help things?
You know, i have no doubt about it, that what makes a marriage "happy" is NOT achieved because of the paper they signed, but because of the way the 2 people work together as a team and all that comes along with that.

The "form" of a marriage may be out of your reach for the time-being, but surely, the "content" is not.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:59 AM   #34
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by the soul waits

Irvine, I know you're bothered with not being able to get married in the USA, but is this "poor me"-attitude really gonna help things?
You know, i have no doubt about it, that what makes a marriage "happy" is NOT achieved because of the paper they signed, but because of the way the 2 people work together as a team and all that comes along with that.

The "form" of a marriage may be out of your reach for the time-being, but surely, the "content" is not.

i'm just saying that being in a happy marriage for 80 years must be a very nice thing and probably has something to do with being able to live to be 100 years old.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:03 AM   #35
Refugee
Note: Troll-like

Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Local Time: 03:33 AM
And she fakes it. Percy can't tell..
Old 06-02-2005, 09:05 AM   #36
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:33 PM
Okay, that's really enough. FYM is a place for serious discussion and debate. That's not to say there's never a time for joking around, but we are trying to have a good discussion in this thread.

Thanks.

Join Amnesty.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:46 AM   #37
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
I decided not to get married **never** cuz I've seen a lot of couples that can't stay married a month ... and I don't wanna live that. So it is cool to see that a few can stay toguether and have a nice relationship.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:17 AM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie

You shouldn't let other people's mistakes direct your life Muggsy. I'm sure you're capable of being a part of a successful, committed marriage.
Divorce happens so often because people either get married for the wrong reasons and/or they're not truly committed. They don't want to work for it. It's sad.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:15 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by pax

Was the "fuck America" really necessary, melon? We all know your feelings on the subject, but your relentless and increasingly reckless bitterness towards just about everyone here is really not adding anything to the environment of constructive criticism and open debate.
This is a debate and discussion forum, I see no reason why someone not permitted to partake in many aspects of society that most of us take for granted is expected to be anything but bitter. I find it interesting how many of us "know" melon's feelings on the subject, but don't give a shit enough about his feelings to realise that a thread such as this can be incredibly painful to him as it very acutely points out to him exactly what we, as a society, have denied him.

So I imagine this isn't a "happy thread" at all for him (or Irvine and many others on this board), and if it's rude for melon or irvine to state their disgust they are unable to ever partake in marriage, it is equally rude that we, the majority who can partake, don't want our happy little thread derailled by someone elses pain.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:24 PM   #40
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

The only thing I had a problem with was the "fuck America" part. Believe me, I do know how melon, irvine, and other gay post-ers here feel on the subject, and I hope I see the day on which the fight for equal marriage rights in this country is won by gay persons who wish to be married, and their friends and supporters. To suggest that I do not have empathy for them is really somewhat unfair, considering how vociferously I have defended gay marriage and gay people in general in FYM.

All I suggested was that statements like "fuck America" don't help to create an atmosphere conducive to fair, intelligent debate.

That is all.

Join Amnesty.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:12 PM   #41
Blue Crack Supplier

i think it's clear that marriage, when it works (and it does take work) is a wonderful thing for individuals and society.

we all benefit from stability in our lives, even to the point where some of us might live to see 100 years old.

let's celebrate marriage -- in its best form, it's a wonderful thing.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:27 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Normal

For the record, I think I "give a shit enough" about melon's feelings. Sorry if some people think me starting this thread was insensitive I won't start any threads about marriage again.

I had only the best of intentions. I think melon might agree that I've always tended to be one of his biggest supporters around here. Same goes for Irvine.

There are MANY threads here that aren't happy for ME for different reasons, in fact once someone was so cruel to me on here that it made me cry. So there you go..yes call me a pathetic wimp for that, but it was something so personal for me.

Sorry if this sounds rude, but I'm just a little tired of even the most harmless thread being turned into some weird former version of itself. That doesn't mean I don't think melon, Irvine, or anyone else doesn't have the right to say what they feel. But I honestly do resent the implication that I or others don't give a shit about their feelings about the marriage issue. I hope they both can get married someday if that's what they want, and I hope they both get all the happiness they deserve
Old 06-02-2005, 05:09 PM   #43
Refugee

Local Time: 08:33 PM
Ya know, just to be OT for a sec. we have a guy like Melon on the Wire list. Sounding angry and bitter alot of the time. He's one of Wire's founding members in fact (since 1996.) After 4 years of reading some of his viatrol (he isn't like that all the time, "caustic" is a better word) I finally cornered him and asked him just WHAT WAS UP with him. I was esp interested b/c he had a LOT to say about Irish politcs. He didn't reply, but a bit later it came out that he had lost a close friend or relative to an IRA bomb. So I mailed him back and told him I sympathized, etc etc, but (politely) to PLEASE not be so..um...passionate aobut your pro-Paisley views. And you know what? Becuase i was sympathetic, he DID tone down. A bit. Now he reserves his viatrol for U2's "00's work (he considers the past 2 albums to be cop-outs.

The point: we don't really know about people, any more than what they choose to tell us, so don't go making blanket judgements.Or at least, don't go atacking THEM. Melon leans towards the left-wing side of the equation most of the time (and that's and understatment, Mel --and hey, I have to admit, I share a lot of your views) and some have taken him out for that. Don't. Respect each other's views and don't attack people.

I have to say, though, Melon, that goes for you too. I HATE propaganda or blanket statements like "*#^$ America" etc. Just as i hate blanket judgements of people from the other side. SO EVERYONE: CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG???

*Ahem*.

Now, back OT....I do beleive that a happy marriage is the key to better health. Some of the time. other examples of couples who are both very much active and kicking and
all there" at an advanced age were Alec Guiness and his wife (RIP Obi-wan), who both lived into their 80's; Christopher Lee and his wife, both in their mid-80's and they may as well be 60; and Billy and Edith Graham, who aren't so hot medically but metnally theyre all there, and they're in their 80's too.

God belss the happy couple. I think that oic is the cutest thing I've ever seen (outside of that one of Bono in the Boston Barnes and Noble smiling at that baby of course.)
Old 06-02-2005, 05:37 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

sorry pax..

Also I see nothing wrong w/ having "happy" threads here, is that really all that offensive? If it is, you don't have to read it.

I don't think anyone's interested in this thread in a place like LS, that seems to be the place for random threads where people who know each other talk to each other, there doesn't seem to be interest in anything else there and no point in posting anything else there

Does everything and anything have to involve anger, bitterness, ranting, personal insults, intellectualizing things to death, etc? So my threads aren't "intellectual" enough for some people here, sorry. Honestly this place is far too "intellectual" sometimes.

It's quite a turn off the way this place has been this week, that's for sure.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:45 PM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:33 PM
Re: sorry pax..

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Does everything and anything have to involve anger, bitterness, ranting, personal insults, intellectualizing things to death, etc? So my threads aren't "intellectual" enough for some people here, sorry. Honestly this place is far too "intellectual" sometimes.

It's quite a turn off the way this place has been this week, that's for sure.
I dunno, I don't think most people here would describe themselves as intellectuals? There are two or three regular posters who I would honestly consider to be near geniuses (no, I certainly wouldn't include myself) but I won't name them, I don't want to give anyone a swollen head!

Yes it has been a tetchy kind of week, but the mood of the place ebbs and flows I guess. It seems to have been a lot worse back in Nov 04 with the Pres election and all that.

Of course happy threads should be welcome here as well as more serious threads.