The Secret Prisons and Tortures Revealed. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2006, 02:07 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Bush is saving my ass? Well then I'm really worried about my ass, in addition to the fact that it's too fat. I want my ass saved in accordance with the beliefs and standards that this country supposedly stands for. Disregard those and suddenly your ass just isn't quite what it was before.
I don't think that'll fit on a bumper sticker.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:29 PM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500

if it takes destroying nearly everything this country has stood for, as well as increasing King George's executive powers to that of a monarch, in order to "save my ass" (actually, Scotland Yard and many of the European governments have done a far, far better job "saving my ass" than the Bush administration because they do things like police work that actually foil plots), then i'm not sure my ass is worth saving.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:37 PM   #18
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
No, 'spanking' is spelled s-p-a-n-k-i-n-g.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:31 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

if it takes destroying nearly everything this country has stood for, as well as increasing King George's executive powers to that of a monarch,
No doubt a reference to Judge Anna Diggs Taylor's decision on the constitutionality of the NSA program?

Mmmmmm... the yummy chewy-nuget irony of an unelected judge with a lifetime appointment describing a twice elected, term-limited president...as a monarch.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:50 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

No doubt a reference to Judge Anna Diggs Taylor's decision on the constitutionality of the NSA program?

Mmmmmm... the yummy chewy-nuget irony of an unelected judge with a lifetime appointment describing a twice elected, term-limited president...as a monarch.

i don't know the genesis of that term, but i've heard it used quite frequently, and there's no question that Bush has presided over the greatest expansion of executive powers since ... well, it's tough to find a historical precedent.

and the equivocation between judges and presidents yet another sweet drop of that delicious Rovian Kool-Aid.

(pssst -- who appoints the judges?)
Old 09-07-2006, 04:59 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

if it takes destroying nearly everything this country has stood for, as well as increasing King George's executive powers to that of a monarch, in order to "save my ass" (actually, Scotland Yard and many of the European governments have done a far, far better job "saving my ass" than the Bush administration because they do things like police work that actually foil plots), then i'm not sure my ass is worth saving.
You do realize that Scotland Yard is able to do its job because its citizens enjoy nowhere near the same amount of rights we do, right?

Your hyperbole is more than a little overstated.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:17 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Irvine511
[B]
Quote:
i don't know the genesis of that term, but i've heard it used quite frequently, and there's no question that Bush has presided over the greatest expansion of executive powers since...
...Lincoln suspended habeas corpus. Last time I checked he's still on the penny and Mt. Rushmore.
Quote:
and the equivocation between judges and presidents yet another sweet drop of that delicious Rovian Kool-Aid.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:29 PM   #23
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977
You do realize that Scotland Yard is able to do its job because its citizens enjoy nowhere near the same amount of rights we do, right?
In what sense? Are we talking about the recently foiled airplane bombings here?

Scotland Yard and MI5 had warrants for the wiretapping and clandestine infiltrations they did during the course of that investigation. The UK's Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (RIPA) requires that they apply to the Secretary of State for a warrant prior to any intrusion on the privacy of a target (i.e., electronic surveillance); they must also apply for a separate property warrant (under the Intelligence Services Act 1994) to authorize any interference with the target's property. In both cases, the law requires them to first demonstrate that the action proposed is both necessary and proportionate.

Judge Taylor's decision concerned warrantless wiretapping.

INDY, before you embark on a trend of sprinkling your replies with novel derogatory smilies, let me remind you (and anyone else who could stand a reminder) about one of our forum rules:
Quote:
by personal attack, we also include yawns, rolleyes, etc. that are directly intended to annoy, and are used excessively.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 09-07-2006, 05:55 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

...Lincoln suspended habeas corpus. Last time I checked he's still on the penny and Mt. Rushmore.

last time i checked, the Civil War had a clear and conclusive endpoint, as opposed to the intentionally-vague, politically expedient, potentially endless GWOT.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:20 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

INDY, before you embark on a trend of sprinkling your replies with novel derogatory smilies, let me remind you (and anyone else who could stand a reminder) about one of our forum rules:
Rules are rules but please note, of the two, one was directed at myself.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:05 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Tom Friedman hits the nail on the head:

[q]Bush-Cheney-Rumsfeld told us we are in the fight of our lives against a new Islamic fascism, and let’s have an unprecedented wartime tax cut and shrink our armed forces. They told us we are in the fight of our lives against a new Islamic fascism, but let’s send just enough troops to topple Saddam — and never control Iraq’s borders, its ammo dumps or its looters. They told us we are in the fight of our lives against a new Islamic fascism, but rather than bring Democrats and Republicans together in a national unity war coalition, let’s use the war as a wedge issue to embarrass Democrats, frighten voters and win elections. They told us we are in the fight of our lives against a new Islamic fascism — which is financed by our own oil purchases — but let’s not do one serious thing about ending our oil addiction.[/q]