The Season of Apologies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nbcrusader said:
Conan O?Brien issues ?apology? to Quebec

First, apologies for the Superbowl boob. Then for the Outkast Grammy's performance. Now, jokes offensive to Canadians.

Yeah, heard about that. So stupid. Like I said in another discussion about this, we all know that what a dog puppet says is meant to be taken seriously. :huh:.

Originally posted by nbcrusader
At this rate, we will only be able to make fun of white conservative Christian heterosexual males.....

A comedian made a joke saying something along those lines one time. Quite true, too.

Angela

stupid canadians
mov068.jpg

nbcrusader said:
At this rate, we will only be able to make fun of white conservative Christian heterosexual males.....

What goes around comes around.....

Melon

You guys really dont understand the French in Canada. People from Quebec figure they are the greatest. It's pretty much that anytime someone in Canada says something about them they get up and arms and cry.

Hey, any place with a language police arent stable.

(seriously they have a police to make sure that people are respecting french and english, though really only for french.)

Re: Re: The Season of Apologies

melon said:
What goes around comes around.....

Exactly. We've had centuries of rich white heterosexual men dominating society at the expense of women, Black people and any other "minority." But the second the tables are turned their response changes from "it's just a harmless joke, I don't mean to offend women/Black people/gay people/Muslims/whoever" to "how dare you make fun of me!"

bonoman said:
(seriously they have a police to make sure that people are respecting french and english, though really only for french.)

I don't know if it's really comparable, but here in Wales we have plenty of legislation to "protect" the Welsh language. I don't see why it's a problem. All the legislation is for is to make sure that, for example, people whose first language is Welsh can go to schools or colleges and be taught in Welsh. Overall I guess the purpose is to ensure that Welsh doesn't get "abandoned." The only problem I have with it is that sometimes employers use this to discriminate against prospective employees, by requiring that they speak Welsh even when the job isn't ever going to involve them speaking Welsh.

I really don't understand the people here who have a problem with it. You hear people moaning because they get sent letters in both English AND Welsh and apparently it's such an inconvenience to have to turn over the page to read the English version. :rolleyes: Apparently it's also a disgrace that road signs are written in English and Welsh. :rolleyes:

Re: Re: Re: The Season of Apologies

FizzingWhizzbees said:
Exactly. We've had centuries of rich white heterosexual men dominating society at the expense of women, Black people and any other "minority." But the second the tables are turned their response changes from "it's just a harmless joke, I don't mean to offend women/Black people/gay people/Muslims/whoever" to "how dare you make fun of me!"

So, are you now enjoying "your turn"?

Re: Re: Re: Re: The Season of Apologies

nbcrusader said:

So, are you now enjoying "your turn"?

No, and that's not what I said in my post.

I just find it amusing to see how the same people who claimed they were just making "harmless jokes" about women, Black people, gay people and many other "minority" groups are suddenly so horrified if a similar joke is made about them.

But let's be honest, how many times do you even hear people making fun of those rich white straight men? The complaint isn't that people are making fun of them, it's that they can't make fun of other people without being asked not to anymore.

Back
Top Bottom