The Sanctity of Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think there have been innocent people that have been executed, thats why I think DNA test and other stuff must be looked at thoroughly, even from a 3rd party source, before any execution is done.

What would you tell the arab nations about their execution methods. God told them it was ok for them to execute according to Mohammed who spoke for god.

Justin24 said:
What would you tell the arab nations about their execution methods. God told them it was ok for them to execute according to Mohammed who spoke for god.

I'm not Muslim and have never lived in an Arab country, so I wouldn't know where to begin a dialogue.

But the question is pointless given the fact that even those who don't have power granted from God still want it and find ways to justify it.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
But the question is pointless given the fact that even those who don't have power granted from God still want it and find ways to justify it.
I guess those people don't have enough faith in God because if they did, they would be content in the notion that each person will reserve their deserving judgement in the end, regardless of the decisions that men make.

AchtungBono said:

The Singapore case is not a good example and I'll tell you why:
smuggling heroin into a country is bad enough but I don't equate it with a person taking another person's life. Besides, if you're prepared to commit a crime then you should also be prepared to take the consequences - although I do agree that this crime didn't warrant the death penalty.

For example, do you think that a person who runs another person over in a car deliberately, killing him, deserves the same punishment as someone who throws litter in the street? .....of course you don't.

For that matter, do you think Ted Bundy should have been let off with a fine and a slap on the wrist? ALSO not.....

Killers are animals with no regard for human life, why do they deserve ANY consideration? Why should this man have lived to the age of 76 when he denied his victims that right?

You are sitting on the fence!
You just can't on this topic, you have to make a decision, you are either against capitol punishment or for it!
Please take note! I'm a mum and the thought if, anyone killed my children,well, i don't even want to think about it!!!
Even though i would want them to suffer, die an agonising death,pour battery acid on their eyes!(this is why family members cannot pick the punishment for the crime)
The fact remains do i oppose the death penalty! Yes, i have to!!!

How could you as a mom oppose the death penalty if someone had destroyed your life by taking away someone precious to you?

Justin24 said:
How could you as a mom oppose the death penalty if someone had destroyed your life by taking away someone precious to you?

How is it so hard for you to understand people live by principles, even when those principles are challenged?

Executing someone will not bring back someone's child...

Neither will having them in Jail for the rest of their lives. And while the victims taxes go to pay for prisons and feed, clothing and giving medical attention to inmates. That means the murderer is still alive living on the victims dime.

Is there much difference in costs between executing ore food ect for prisoners the serve lifetime ? I don`t know, but being in jail for lifetime sounds not much better than the deathpenalty either.

Justin24 said:
Neither will having them in Jail for the rest of their lives.
No one is claiming it will. But atleast I could sleep at night knowing I didn't have to lower myself to the level of a murderer. And they will have to face the fact of what they've done for the rest of their lives...
Justin24 said:

And while the victims taxes go to pay for prisons and feed, clothing and giving medical attention to inmates. That means the murderer is still alive living on the victims dime.

This argument doesn't hold any water. The money spent, depending on the state isn't much different from that of a lifer and one on death row...

http://www.deathpenalty.org/index.php?pid=cost

The Facts

# The California death penalty system costs taxpayers more than $114 million a year beyond the cost of simply keeping the convicts locked up for life. (This figure does not take into account additional court costs for post-conviction hearings in state and federal courts, estimated to exceed several million dollars.)

# With 11 executions spread over 27 years, on a per execution basis, California and federal taxpayers have paid more than $250 million for each execution.

# It costs approximately $90,000 more a year to house an inmate on death row, than in the general prison population or $57.5 million annually.

# The Attorney General devotes about 15% of his budget, or $11 million annually to death penalty cases.

# The California Supreme Court spends $11.8 million on appointed counsel for death row inmates.

# The Office of the State Public Defender and the Habeas Corpus Resource Center spend a total of $22.3 million on defense for indigent defendants facing death.

# The federal court system spends approximately $12 million on defending death row inmates in federal court.

# No figures were given for the amount spent by the offices of County District Attorneys on the prosecution of capital cases, however these expenses are presumed to be in the tens of millions of dollars each year.

You are just not getting it are you!!!!:banghead:

Answer me this!
Should a woman die if she is found to have commited adultery?
Should a man die if he steals chickens?
Should a woman die if she OD her own child?
Should a man die if he rapes and murder a nurse on her way back from work?

If you have answered yes,to any of these things, you are for it! I am not talking about who deserves to die! i'm talking about should people die for a crime, because this is a fact, all of the above holds the capitol punishment.

fly so high! said:
You are just not getting it are you!!!!:banghead:

Answer me this!
Should a woman die if she is found to have commited adultery?
Should a man die if he steals chickens?
Should a woman die if she OD her own child?
Should a man die if he rapes and murder a nurse on her way back from work?

If you have answered yes,to any of these things, you are for it! I am not talking about who deserves to die! i'm talking about should people die for a crime, because this is a fact, all of the above holds the capitol punishment.

The whole adultery thing is based on some religous thing. She slept with another man ohhh boy!

No he goes to jail for 2 years for stealing (remember Saui Arabia cuts peoples hands off)

If a woman OD's her own child: Yes

Most definetly The guy should die for that horrendous action.

BonVoxSupastar, me and you better leave this thread now, we are wasting our time! And we are getting ourselves upset because of mutants!!!:mad:
OK, me first!! See you in another thread!!!:wave:

How is one person giving his opinion a mutant, You creedan

Next time you see a murderer give him a hug

You defitnly would fit in here with the rest of the San Franciscans and I was born here???:wink: :lol:

I am saying with your views you would fit right in with the rest of the bay area. I was born in SF and I have totally different views, as you could tell.

Hitler had the right idea guys!!

He knew what do with those infernal liberals ya know??

if i caused anyone that much misery by doin something that insane........

i would want them to kill me

its such a miserable cycle weve developed as humanity
whoever said we need more hugs in the world is right and the guy from tel aviv who tried to state his argument so calmly
i commend you as well

take cover
were all in this shit storm together kids !
doesnt matter what country or state we're in...

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:

This world would be a better place if we had more hugs.

You are absolutely right BonoVox.......*gives you a hug*.
I need to thank you for an extremely intellectually stimulating discussion.

We may not agree on this issue but I am damm proud of our ability to have a free debate among ourselves on issues we feel strongly about.

Back
Top Bottom