The Saddest Book I've Ever Read

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LCK

Acrobat
The Lost Generation: Children in the Holocaust. edited by Azriel Eisenberg. The scope of what happened is chilling as a macrocosm but this book tells of tragedies and horrors at the individual level. Its a book you'll never forget, but one I highly recommend. A very emotional but worthwhile read.

adamswildhoney said:
its saddened me that there ever was the Holcaust but the thing that gets to me the most is the fact some people today think it was a good thing :tsk:

No crap. Some people haven't learned from it. If they had, there'd be no more racism, no killing homosexuals, no killing each other over religious differences, etc. If the Holocaust couldn't wake some people up, what is it going to take, then? :banghead:.

Has anyone read "Night" by Elie Wiesel?

Angela

I haven't read the book but I've heard Elie Wiesel speak. What an incredible human being. He was a very deserving Nobel Peace Prize winner.

Moonlit_Angel said:

No crap. Some people haven't learned from it. If they had, there'd be no more racism, no killing homosexuals, no killing each other over religious differences, etc. If the Holocaust couldn't wake some people up, what is it going to take, then? :banghead:.

Has anyone read "Night" by Elie Wiesel?

Angela

I read it this semester. Very chilling book. You can read it in a day, you can't put it down.

Wiesel didn't believe some of the things he saw--he felt they were simply too terrible to have happened, so he did research and talked to other survivors...and realized that he hadn't imagined anything. I think that was the worst part.

AvsGirl41 said:
I read it this semester. Very chilling book. You can read it in a day, you can't put it down.

Yes. Exactly. It's very involving.

Originally posted by AvsGirl41
Wiesel didn't believe some of the things he saw--he felt they were simply too terrible to have happened, so he did research and talked to other survivors...and realized that he hadn't imagined anything. I think that was the worst part.

No kidding.

It's everyone's worst nightmare come true.

Originally posted by verte76
I agree. If we had more people like Elie Wiesel we just might not have racism, suicide bombers and all of these other evils.

That'd be lovely.

Angela

I've read Night a while ago. The quote that I liked most was the one about his loss of faith. Nothing else in that book has stayed with me like that page. I can still see it in my mind, it was that powerful.

Never shall I forget that night, the first night in camp, which has turned my life into one long night, seven times cursed and seven times sealed. Never shall I forget that smoke. Never shall I forget the little faces of the children, whose bodies I saw turned into wreaths of smoke beneath a silent blue sky.
Never shall I forget those flames which consumed my faith forever.

Never shall I forget that nocturnal silence which deprived me, for all eternity, of the desire to live. Never shall I forget those moments which murdered my God and my soul and turned my dreams to dust. Never shall I forget these things, even if I am condemned to live as long as God Himself. Never.

I'd also recommend the graphic novel Maus by Art Spiegelman.

Wow what a powerful statement the loss of faith. I can not even begin to imagine. I imagine how difficult it would be to see humans at there very worst and not lose faith.

Two books that just blew my mind first : Hitler's Willing Executioners and second Ordinary Men: Reserve Police Battalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland. The hardest books I have ever read for the content the truth made me literally sick to my stomach . I coudlnt beleive what I read so i can not even imagine going through it. It is an interesting topic though how easily ordinary men were turned into extrordinary killers. And the differnce in how some would justify that. It makes you wonder how easily it could happen again.

pray to god that not even our childrens childrens children ever have to experince it again. Our own reality these days is hard enough to explain or justify

The insight into why they did what they did was truly disturbing. It makes you wonder how easily it could happen again

and pray the most heartfelt prayer that we nor our childrens childrens children ever have live it

Back
Top Bottom