The sacred institution of marriage... - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2006, 12:24 AM   #106
She's the One

Local Time: 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Maoilbheannacht
But since Gay immediate family members cannot produce childern, this cannot be a reason used to make such a union illegal.
Dude, you really need to get over this obsession with gay family members marrying.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:26 AM   #107
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:57 PM
You know lets have some reason why incestuous gay relationships as insanely rare as they are should be banned.

-Who are these hypothetical homos hurting?
-Why is what they are doing wrong?

It's almost as if people have a problem with faggotry.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:27 AM   #108
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Dude, you really need to get over this obsession with gay family members marrying.
It used to be bestiality with this crowd, but I guess when they looked at places like Canada and Spain and didn't see a sudden rash of man-giraffe marriages they had to find another angle?
Old 06-12-2006, 12:33 AM   #109
Refugee

Local Time: 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Um...

From CNN.
WOW, I stand corrected! Thanks for posting that. I actually thought that the controversy was with second cousins with some states saying it was ok while others were banning it.

The article did say this though about the closer relationships and the state laws on them.

"Every state today has a statute defining eligibility for marriage, and each and every one prohibits marriages between parents and children, sisters and brothers, uncles and nieces, and aunts and nephews. Some prohibit all ancestor/descendant marriages, regardless of degree. Four states extend the prohibition to marriages between parents and their adopted children."
Old 06-12-2006, 12:33 AM   #110
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

I know.

I mean oh my god, what if I think I'm so hot and I clone myself, can I marry my clone?
Old 06-12-2006, 12:36 AM   #111
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

I know.

I mean oh my god, what if I think I'm so hot and I clone myself, can I marry my clone?
Are we going to outlaw masturbation now
Old 06-12-2006, 12:42 AM   #112
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
No it really isn't, heterosexual sex is an evolutionary mechanism to encourage variation in a species, we are biologically hard wired to not engage in incest. Homosexuality is also a biological phenomena perhaps to do with protecting genetic material down the generations, a gay uncle may prove adventageous in providing for offspring and will share 25% genetic material with his neice or nephew. Incest however does not encourage variation or the survival of the genetic information, the similarity between immediate family members leads not only to inviable offspring (but one problem) but weakened immune systems and potential birth defects, there is some argument that in extreme stresses the increased rate of mutation by forced incest may help a species to survive but in general it is a disadvantage and is not practiced.
I was just talking about resolving all the legal issues surrounding who an adult individual has a right to marry and why.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:47 AM   #113
ONE
love, blood, life

And I was making a scientific case on the nature of human sexuality and that both heterosexuality and homosexuality are considered normal expressions of human sexuality, in the case of incest the biological motivation is inherently lacking and it's frequency is extremely rare, the vast majority of people lack sexual attraction to their immediate family.

From a purely logical position if we construct laws of marriage contract from a position built on consent and harm then both gay marriage and hetereosexual marriage can be justified and if taken to the logical extreme so can inviable incestuous pairings but the frequency of these is so low that it is a nonissue in the context of this debate.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:48 AM   #114
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

It used to be bestiality with this crowd, but I guess when they looked at places like Canada and Spain and didn't see a sudden rash of man-giraffe marriages they had to find another angle?
So anyone that brings up the question of who an adult individual has a right to marry and why is automatically a right wing fundamentalist christian bent on preventing gay marriage?
Old 06-12-2006, 12:52 AM   #115
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

So anyone that brings up the question of who an adult individual has a right to marry and why is automatically a right wing fundamentalist christian bent on preventing gay marriage?
It is not the case of an adult individual deciding to marry some inanimate object or passive entity, it is two or more adult individuals and yes it is their business and their business alone, in an ideal world the state would be completely out of marriage, the churches could elect to santify or not sanctify partnerships and individuals would be free to lvie their lives the way that they want to, but thats not going to happen as long as people are intent on enforcing morality though the government.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:52 AM   #116
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Quote:
Wow I never saw the words right wing, fundamentalist, or christian in that quote.

You have a true talent of reading the secret text.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:56 AM   #117
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
And I was making a scientific case on the nature of human sexuality and that both heterosexuality and homosexuality are considered normal expressions of human sexuality, in the case of incest the biological motivation is inherently lacking and it's frequency is extremely rare, the vast majority of people lack sexual attraction to their immediate family.

From a purely logical position if we construct laws of marriage contract from a position built on consent and harm then both gay marriage and hetereosexual marriage can be justified and if taken to the logical extreme so can inviable incestuous pairings but the frequency of these is so low that it is a nonissue in the context of this debate.
Well, how low does the frequency have to be for it to be a non-issue? For individuals that this happens to, it is certainly an issue and shouldn't the law be prepared to deal with every contingency?
Old 06-12-2006, 01:01 AM   #118
ONE
love, blood, life

Individuals that this happens too? The ones that aren't huring anybody by their sexual kink that would want recognition?

Since they are not violating the rights or liberties of others then there is no good cause to not sanction them.

I think that on the basis of the principles that justify marriage that are being used that incestuous inviable pairings can recieve sanction, I also think that the frequency of these pairings is so impossibly low that in the scheme of things it will be a non-issue and definitely not cause to ban gay marraige.
Old 06-12-2006, 01:03 AM   #119
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Wow I never saw the words right wing, fundamentalist, or christian in that quote.

You have a true talent of reading the secret text.

What does "this crowd" refer to then?
Old 06-12-2006, 01:06 AM   #120
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

What does "this crowd" refer to then?
You may want to ask the poster before assuming.