The sacred institution of marriage... - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2006, 02:47 PM   #151
Refugee

Local Time: 02:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk
We're going to hell in a handbasket up here, people.
After all, our leader came *this* close to being beheaded...if the Pat Robertsons of the world knew his name they'd surely tell us why.

Old 06-12-2006, 02:50 PM   #152
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:37 PM
Quote:
The gay relative, or the man-beast issue? If all else fails, blame it on Harper. He eats babies, you know.

Was there really a serious question in there? I had next to no sleep last night due to a dental appointment/phobia this morning, so I'm not at my most cognizant.

i mean was there some sort of a backlash to the gay marriage thing that might have caused more socially conservative voters to turn out in higher numbers or caused some to vote conservative when they might not have in the past.

it was a serious question.

Harper eats babies? really? baby seals, i could imagine, but babies themselves?

wow.

Old 06-12-2006, 02:50 PM   #153
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by AliEnvy

After all, our leader came *this* close to being beheaded...if the Pat Robertsons of the world knew his name they'd surely tell us why.

If he were anything like Chretien and his wife, he could have fended off the potential attackers with an Inuit carving.

I love my country.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:53 PM   #154
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

i mean was there some sort of a backlash to the gay marriage thing that might have caused more socially conservative voters to turn out in higher numbers or caused some to vote conservative when they might not have in the past.

Harper eats babies? really? baby seals, i could imagine, but babies themselves?

wow.
No, I honestly don't think his election (to a minority government) had anything to do with social issues. It had more to do with dissatisfaction with the ruling Liberal party, and financial scandals they had been involved with. I really can't see Canada going the way of the US, and becoming socially conservative, thank goodness.

And the "Harper eats babies" thing came about because someone hacked into the Toronto transit system's signs that appear on their trains, and programmed that phrase into it. It stayed up for the better part of a day before it was fixed.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:57 PM   #155
Blue Crack Addict

No, the election definitely had nothing to do with gay marriage and you have a good proportion of high profile conservative MPs publicly stating they believe the issue has been settled. This vote in the fall is just pandering so they can say they fulfilled an election promise.

The Liberals lost because of the corruption scandal and because politics is cyclical, especially here. They were in power almost 15 years and so people tossed them out. Now the Conservatives will rule for a few years until they pull some sort of clusterfuck and then we'll be back to the default Liberal rule as always. Nothing wild and exciting up here in the land of man-giraffe marriages.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:57 PM   #156
Refugee

Quote:

I think that sort of backlash did exist but got easily diluted into the corruption scandals of the Liberal party.

Some church leaders and social conservatives here fear a Supreme Court challenge that would deam a church declining to perform a same-sex marriage ceremony as a legal human rights violation. However, that's why the notwithstanding clause exists.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:09 PM   #157
Refugee

Quote:
If he were anything like Chretien and his wife, he could have fended off the potential attackers with an Inuit carving.
Old 06-12-2006, 03:50 PM   #158
She's the One

Local Time: 06:37 PM
Quote:
And the "Harper eats babies" thing came about because someone hacked into the Toronto transit system's signs that appear on their trains, and programmed that phrase into it. It stayed up for the better part of a day before it was fixed.
geeks
Old 06-12-2006, 03:52 PM   #159
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500
So to those of you who say there are no sound arguments against same-sex marriage. Why the debate? Why the sudden rush by so many states, including Oregon and California to pass statues against same-sex marriage. All bigory and fear? Some, to be sure, but all?
I'll wager it's 50/50. Although fear usually is the trigger for bigotry.

Quote:
The inability to see the world through the eyes of another is very narcissistic isn't it?
Tell us about it.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:07 PM   #160
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:37 PM
Quote:
we should jump headlong into the social experiment of redefining marriage.
Social experiment? And I guess segregation was just a social experiment gone wrong...

You seriously don't get it, do you?

Quote:

The inability to see the world through the eyes of another is very narcissistic isn't it?
I'm a fan of irony and all, but this line takes the cake.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:11 PM   #161
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Gavin Newsom's actions outside CA law did more to harm the issue than anything else. As discussed here elsewhere, the visual images from SF likely struck the "ick factor" that drives a good part of this debate.

Without Newsom's actions, I hoestly believe we could have a domestic partnership bill pass in CA by now.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:32 PM   #162
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Gavin Newsom's actions outside CA law did more to harm the issue than anything else. As discussed here elsewhere, the visual images from SF likely struck the "ick factor" that drives a good part of this debate.

Without Newsom's actions, I hoestly believe we could have a domestic partnership bill pass in CA by now.

i agree. it was no accident that Rove got gay marriage amendments on the ballots in several battleground states during the 2004 election, and it probably provided enough motivation for certain elements of the Republican base to get out and vote for Bush.

i might disagree with the "ick factor." firstly, that phrase saddens me, so perhaps i don't want to believe it's true, but i think what happened in SF was more about "those crazy liberals" and added to a sense of "the sky is falling" particularly when combined with the Massachusetts ruling of 2004.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:36 PM   #163
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
As discussed here elsewhere, the visual images from SF likely struck the "ick factor" that drives a good part of this debate.
It generally doesn't help that the media usually chooses the ugliest and freakiest gay couples they can find when broadcasting on this issue.

This is in contrast to straight couples who are always portrayed as pretty and cute, while the ugly ones are left at the curb.

Melon
Old 06-12-2006, 11:49 PM   #164
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:37 PM
Please don't consider me rude, but I had to go to work and am just now able to respond.

Most of you understood, or at least suffered my point, because nobody labeled me a bigot. My only point being that 2/3rds of Americans are not bigoted solely because they feel marriage should be reserved for one man and one woman. It's kinda worked for a few thousand years and some of us have just sorta got used to the idea. Anyway, I respect your opinions, thank you for respecting mine.

Enough talk, cue Joan Jett.

Sometimes Im right then I can be wrong
My own beliefs are in my songs
A butcher, a banker, a drummer and then
Makes no difference what group Im in
I am everyday people

Then its the blue ones who cant accept
The green ones for living with
The black ones tryin to be a skinny one
Different strokes for different folks
And so on and so on and scooby dooby dooby

Ooh sha sha
We gotta live together

I am no better and neither are you
Were all the same whatever we do
You love me you hate me
You know me and then
Still cant figure out the scene Im in
I am everyday people

Then its the new man
That doesnt like the short man
For being such a rich one
That will not help the poor one
And so on and so on scooby dooby dooby

Ooh sha sha
We got to live together

There is a yellow one that wont
Accept the black one
That wont accept the red one
That wont accept the white one

And so on and so on and
Scooby dooby dooby
Ooh sha sha
I am everyday people
Old 06-12-2006, 11:57 PM   #165
Refugee

Local Time: 07:37 PM
Joan Jett???

Sacrilege.

That song was written in 1968 by Sly Stone, he of the massive hairdo.

The Blackhearts' version is probably better, though.