The root cause of HATE/ANGER towards our fellowman..Plez vote and comment. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: What causes HATE/ANGER for our fellowmen?men?men?
ENVY/JEALOSY 11 45.83%
POVERTY 13 54.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2002, 05:58 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:35 PM
The root cause of HATE/ANGER towards our fellowman..Plez vote and comment.

Is it ENVY?
Is it POVERTY?
I mean there is alot of hatred these days.
Some philosophers say-

it is because ppl are poor they hate others and want to start and altercation/aggression.
On the other hand when Ive been broke I never was mad at anybody, I just wanted to go out and make money.
I dont wanna be mad at the wealthy ppl..
When ppl were broke during the Great Depression in the 1930s in our country ppl were nicer and more humble to each other..

On the other hand when ppl are ENVIOUS/JEALOUS of eachother
I think this causes hate..

What do you think?
I think the worship of money causes lots and lots of problems..
We get blinded from commonsense and love of our fellowman

diamond

Old 10-13-2002, 06:14 PM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 10:35 PM
I think poverty by a long shot.
I think that a lot of things begin with poverty and can lead to being envious.
Poverty can also lead to a lack of education which is where mis-understanding comes in and causes anger.
All in all, I think misunderstanding causes more hate and anger, but of the 2, poverty.

Old 10-13-2002, 06:19 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:35 AM
Re: The root cause of HATE/ANGER towards our fellowman..Plez vote and comment.

I think the root cause of hatred and anger is elitism, actually, which is generally fostered in religion. Sure, there is a bunch of window dressing about us all being equal under the eyes of God, but then there are all these ideas of being "the elect" and "chosen people," which are then instruments for one of those who consider themselves "elect" to try and destroy all those whom they consider to be "evil" or "inferior."

Tolerance, in general, goes against human nature, which, for millennia, has been looking for excuses to destroy anyone they don't consider to be like them. Heck, even animals rip each other apart for the same reasons.

The term "envy" is usually thrown around by the elite to absolve themselves from guilt, and "poverty" is thrown around by those who are, frankly, not part of the elite. But that is just a superficial wound on a much larger injury.

Melon
Old 10-13-2002, 06:25 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Good responses Melon
and
Ms Sparky.

However Ms Sparky-
How come rich ppl still envy each other like fueding rockstars/actresses ect?
Theyre not in poverty.
They are usually angry and act like spoiled brats..

Melon-
Elitism.
Good word..

So "Elitism" is ="bigotry" in a sense?

DB9
Old 10-13-2002, 06:27 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
"Elitism," in my sense of the word, is any movement that attempts to exult a certain group of people above the rest of the people. "Bigotry" is certainly a signature element of elitism, but it is a characteristic of a group, not the same thing.

Melon
Old 10-13-2002, 06:54 PM   #6
War Child

Local Time: 10:35 PM
I think that the envy/hatered that is felt by rich folk pales in comparison to any anger that is reflected by those in poverty.

When I think of anger and hatred, I think of where those 2 emotions often lead - One thing that can be said is crime.
Taking crime and going so far as to say that more crime is commited by those in poverty than those that are rich would lead me to think in the line of direction that poverty is the cause of the anger.

(I'm a little dis-jointed today, I forgot to take my medicine and I'm having difficulty expressing myself clearly, perfect time to try to write eh?)

*Altho, crime commited by rich folk (like Corporate Crime) does do more damage and I'm sure happens more frequently than we are made aware, and lord knows what their problem is. Lack of any brain is my guess *

I could say that the reason rich ppl still hate each other, is out of fear that they will be precieved as less rich than the one they are pissed at. People always think that someone else has more money, or is better off, and fear that they will be stricken with poverty. They don't want others to see them as poor because the Smiths down the street have a newer car than them or something.

Old 10-13-2002, 07:01 PM   #7
Banned

The Wall

Human Nature

P.S. i like Floyd lyrics IMO Naturlich !!!!!!

Old 10-13-2002, 07:10 PM   #8
The Fly

Local Time: 06:35 AM
Quote:
Good responses Melon
and
Ms Sparky.

However Ms Sparky-
How come rich ppl still envy each other like fueding rockstars/actresses ect?
Theyre not in poverty.
They are usually angry and act like spoiled brats..

Melon-
Elitism.
Good word..

DB9
I disagree. There are billions of people living below the poverty line in this world and social strata exist in every society. The fact that many of these people are not full of hate and malice seems to negate this possibility. Poverty may enhance hatred and the willingness to hate, but I think that most of our problems stem from opposing political and religious ideologies manipulating the impoverished (and their lack of education) for their own purposes.
Old 10-13-2002, 07:35 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by garibaldo

I disagree. There are billions of people living below the poverty line in this world and social strata exist in every society. The fact that many of these people are not full of hate and malice seems to negate this possibility. Poverty may enhance hatred and the willingness to hate, but I think that most of our problems stem from opposing political and religious ideologies manipulating the impoverished (and their lack of education) for their own purposes.
These are my sediments

There are ALOT LOT more poor people who live in the world happily

Thank u-Garialdo

DB9
Old 10-13-2002, 07:41 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
There are ALOT LOT more poor people who live in the world happily
*sees 19th century American lithographs of naked, happy slaves dancing around*

I don't think it is as much as they are happy in poverty. In fact, take the West Bank. A lot of those who live there would never engage in violence themselves, but support those who will blow themselves up in suicide bombings. The nature of support for violence must also be studied, in addition to the actual violence.

Melon
Old 10-13-2002, 07:46 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

*sees 19th century American lithographs of naked, happy slaves dancing around*

I don't think it is as much as they are happy in poverty. In fact, take the West Bank. A lot of those who live there would never engage in violence themselves, but support those who will blow themselves up in suicide bombings. The nature of support for violence must also be studied, in addition to the actual violence.

Melon
Good pt.
but
arent these 2 nieghbors both "envious" of what they think they are both entitled to?

DB9
Old 10-13-2002, 08:05 PM   #12
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 12:35 AM
i think envy/jealousy. there's so many people (myself included) who are envious of those who can enjoy the finer things. those that can buy a new car without finding a second (or third) job first. those that can go out to eat wherever they want, whenever they want, without wondering if they'll have money for groceries at the end of the week. those who don't have to live paycheck to paycheck and decide which bill isn't going to be paid on time.

but then there's the crazy extreme people who go robbing upper class houses because they want their stuff, or something like that. so yeah...that's my answer.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:56 AM   #13
Refugee

I vote for ENVY/JEALOUSY, but I want to clarify my answer. I think that racism exists solely because itís taught from generation to generation. Itís true that most racism is fueled by reasonable circumstance that take place between specific people, which leads to stereotyping, but the idea of racism must be learned.

I chose ENVY/JEALOUSY mainly because itís easy to disprove that poverty leads to racism. When you grow up poor your more likely to judge people on character rather than skin color. Itís the protected class, the upper crust of society that continuously holds attitudes of superiority when speaking of not only classes, but races as well. This is based mainly on my own personal experience, so Iím sure there are exceptions to this rule. I will point out that I have mixed with both classes at different points in my life, so I grew up with poor kids from the age of birth until I was 16, and with rich little bastards since I was 9. If this isnít enough proof I donít know what is.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:17 AM   #14
The Fly

Local Time: 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Danospano
I vote for ENVY/JEALOUSY, but I want to clarify my answer. I think that racism exists solely because itís taught from generation to generation. Itís true that most racism is fueled by reasonable circumstance that take place between specific people, which leads to stereotyping, but the idea of racism must be learned.

I chose ENVY/JEALOUSY mainly because itís easy to disprove that poverty leads to racism. When you grow up poor your more likely to judge people on character rather than skin color. Itís the protected class, the upper crust of society that continuously holds attitudes of superiority when speaking of not only classes, but races as well. This is based mainly on my own personal experience, so Iím sure there are exceptions to this rule. I will point out that I have mixed with both classes at different points in my life, so I grew up with poor kids from the age of birth until I was 16, and with rich little bastards since I was 9. If this isnít enough proof I donít know what is.
I don't think this is proof enough. In fact, it's the poor or the defenders of the impoverished who are often the quickest to generalize about the rich and their mentality. I know plenty of rich people who are rich because they studied like a dog in school and always set the bar higher. The fact is that you're not rich and that means that you are already in a position to envy and judge. I've met plenty of poor, racist people in my life. In fact, I think there is a definite link between poverty, education (or lack thereof) and racism.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:46 AM   #15
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by garibaldo
I think that most of our problems stem from opposing political and religious ideologies manipulating the impoverished (and their lack of education) for their own purposes.
hit the nail on the head