the right to die

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

najeena

War Child
How is it we can euthanize our pets and call ourselves merciful, but allow our fellow human beings to suffer needlessly? Suicide is considered shameful, assisted suicide a crime. The real crime is not giving people the option of a peaceful, painless death on their own terms. Who has a better right to decide their fate?

I think there's a few fundamental differences between suicide and euthanasia.
In Intensive Care Units all over, life support machines are switched off every day and no one creates a fuss at all.

I think if a person is suffering from a terminal illness, is able to make his/ her own decisions and says they want to die they should be allowed that right - who is anyone else to judge what they want?

what about a depressive personality or someone who wants to just for the hell of it. should they have that right?

The mentally ill will always be at risk, as they always have been. I started this thread after seeing a living skeleton in a hospital who was weeping with pain, alone. Death in itself is not a crime, I think that withholding it from those who suffer and wish to end their lives is.

Anyone with a terminal illness or terminal incapaciation that is preventing them from enjoying life and instead is bringing misery should have the right to end their life as they wish.
That's just the way I see it.

Bunbury said:
Anyone with a terminal illness or terminal incapaciation that is preventing them from enjoying life and instead is bringing misery should have the right to end their life as they wish.
That's just the way I see it.

That's a fair statement, but where do you draw the dividing line between "enjoyment" and "misery" considering the finality of the choice?

nbcrusader said:

That's a fair statement, but where do you draw the dividing line between "enjoyment" and "misery" considering the finality of the choice?

What is a terminal incapacity? Can it be severe, chronic depression. I feel that the decision is idiosyncratic to each individual. Simply put, if you don't want to live, you shouldn't have to, and nobody has the right to tell you that you should. or maybe I'm fucked up.

Citron said:

What is a terminal incapacity? Can it be severe, chronic depression. I feel that the decision is idiosyncratic to each individual. Simply put, if you don't want to live, you shouldn't have to, and nobody has the right to tell you that you should. or maybe I'm fucked up.

I agree, if you want to end your life at any point then do so, but, that's called suicide which is a result of a mental illness.
I think "right to die" is more like if you're suffering terminal cancer or are physically handicapped (parapalegics and such) and just can't stand living like that I think the patient should have the right to tell a doctor to end their life.
Back to suicide, I personally know people that wanted to commit suicide because of mental illness, and fortunately I been able help.
I mean, if you could help in any form someone that wants to commit suicide then do so, but when come down to it, it's their choice.

Back
Top Bottom