the Religious Left speaks out against the real war on Christmas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ladera Heights said:

Heil Hitler to that!

Since your relatively new to the forum, you may not have known that this type of comment is not acceptable.

Dreadsox said:
What President has done the most to help the AIDS crisis?

Good question. Where are the studies on the results? If there are none as of yet, it will be impossible to answer this question - we don´t know where exactly the money went.

Dreadsox said:

Dread, I wasn't talking just about Africa. I was talking about our own backyard. I donated money to a family with a member who has AIDS. They needed help because the government didn't provide help to them. Once you get out of New York or San Fran, AIDS charities that help patients are either grossly underfunded or non-existant.

when a govt starts legislating compassion, chairty, and hoping to be the cure all- cure to all things..

this is where they take away an indivual's rights and responibilty to choose and then we find ourselves as a people treading in scary territory.

Ha! This is too much. Legislating compassion? Our politicians have shown a complete lack of compassion when it comes to making decisions and we're worse off for it. To me, compassion means allowing two people in love to get married, regardless of gender. Compassion to me means not killing 30,000 civilians. Compassion to me means not sending a 19-year-old kid into a war that we were completely wrong about. It means not allowing more kids to go to bed hungry compared to when you got into office five years ago. Maybe we need some compassion in government right now because we sure aren't doing a good job without it.

Dreadsox said:

when it comes to dollars given to Africa, it is Bush. but HipHop is right -- let's wait and see how it turns out. but this is one area in which i admire the Bush administration, and in which i admire Bono even more.

however, we cannot forget that it was the Regan administration's refusal to even *mention* the disease until 1987 -- you know, because it only affected fags and was God's rightful retribution for such unnatural behavior -- that has led to the infection of hundreds of thousands, and the deaths of thousands.

Irvine511 said:
how much time have you spent in economically depressed areas -- urban, rural, or otherwise -- plagued by generations of poverty?

If we are measuring time, I would readily share coemgen's sentiments of "not enough".

But I've done a small part from the depressed areas of my home county, to the small town in rural Mississippi, to the mud brick hut in Africa.

The other value that is seen in dread's posts are the changes in the people who perform the charity. I can pay taxes and vote for the most comprehensive government programs and it won't change me one bit. The whole charitable process, from raising funds to simply sitting with another human, generates changes that we can discuss academically, but won't experience until we roll up our sleeves and go to work.

nbcrusader said:

The other value that is seen in dread's posts are the changes in the people who perform the charity. I can pay taxes and vote for the most comprehensive government programs and it won't change me one bit. The whole charitable process, from raising funds to simply sitting with another human, generates changes that we can discuss academically, but won't experience until we roll up our sleeves and go to work.

we're in full agreement here. never, not once, have i said that people shouldn't engage in charity.

people just shouldn't think that indivdiual charity is enough and that slashing government programs like food stamps and housing assistance hurts people, no matter how many carols you sing to them at the homeless shelter. it's the Focus on the Family ethos of "cut taxes, bake cookies instad" combined with an agenda that's *obsessed* with abortion, homosexuality, and "activist judges" that's perverse and is the real War on Christmas.

Ft. Worth Frog said:
Sadly, both right and left have sold their souls for a mess of political porridge-both using the gospel for political gain.

I'd say that's a pretty accurate summary of many governments (this one included)!

Back
Top Bottom