the religion changes, but the script sounds the same ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Irvine511

Blue Crack Supplier
[q]The Times January 04, 2006

Gays are immoral, says top Muslim
By David Sanderson

HOMOSEXUALITY is immoral and spreads disease, and civil partnerships are damaging to society, according to Britain’s most senior Muslim leader.
Sir Iqbal Sacranie, the head of the Muslim Council of Britain, said that same-sex relationships risked damaging the foundations of society, and scientific evidence showed that homosexuality carried high health risks.

His comments were condemned last night by gay rights groups and MPs from the three main political parties, who said that Sir Iqbal was swimming against the tide of public opinion.

Speaking about civil partnerships, the first of which took place in Britain last month, Sir Iqbal said: “It does not augur well in building the very foundations of society: stability, family relationships. And it is something we would certainly not in any form encourage the community to be involved in.”

Asked on the BBC Radio 4 PM programme if homosexuality was harmful to society, he replied: “Certainly it is a practice that in terms of health, in terms of the moral issues that comes along in a society, it is. It is not acceptable.

“Each of our faiths tells us that it is harmful and, I think, if you look into the scientific evidence that has been available in terms of the forms of various illnesses and diseases that are there, surely it points out that where homosexuality is practised there is a greater concern in that area.”

Peter Tatchell, the founder of the gay rights group OutRage!, said: “It’s tragic for one minority to attack another minority.”

Alan Duncan, the most prominent openly gay Conservative MP, said: “This is an absurd medieval view. One should separate the religious from the secular. Such general condemnation is no longer acceptable in a civilised modern world.”

Stephen Pound, the Labour MP for Ealing North, said: “It’s a cruel and vicious blow to strike against people who are born the way they are. We are living in 21st-century northern Europe, not 7th-century Arabia. It may come as a shock to Mr Sacranie, but I know many gay Muslims who are living perfectly normal, decent lives.”

Evan Harris, the Liberal Democrat spokesman on human rights, said: “To imply that homosexuality itself was unacceptable is a form of intolerance that’s deplorable.”

The advent of civil partnerships has been criticised by other religious leaders. Cardinal Keith O’Brien, the leader of Scottish Roman Catholics, used his New Year’s Day sermon to say that their introduction was partly responsible for us living “at a time when the truth of marriage and family is obscured and distorted”.

Almost 700 civil partnerships were entered into on December 21, the day they became legal in England and Wales.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1969663,00.html

[/q]

yeah

that Iranian guy is just pandering to his base with this anti-Israel crap, too

we will know he is in desparate straights

when he starts saying shia law mandates a marriage is between one man and one woman (give or take a few) only.

Iqbal Sacranie wants laws protecting Muslim leaders from criticism. If granted such religious vilification laws would ensure that such charges could go on unchallenged.

If I wasn't such an atheist then I would be strongly anti-theist :|

He should have his knighthood revoked and get kicked to the Middle East if he thinks secular European values are so vile.

Melon

"Stephen Pound, the Labour MP for Ealing North, said: “It’s a cruel and vicious blow to strike against people who are born the way they are. We are living in 21st-century northern Europe, not 7th-century Arabia. It may come as a shock to Mr Sacranie, but I know many gay Muslims who are living perfectly normal, decent lives"

Well said :applaud:

My views on why religions consider homosexuality as IMMORAL.

1) Religions were man-made so as to spread like virus and bacteria. Virus spread from within in a seemingly innocuous manner. Bacteria attacks from outside and beats the shit of its victim.

2) If condoms and homosexuality were not passed off as sins or immoral, then the population of their religion could decline.

Best to ignore such guys who said stupid stuff !!

These are my frank views

i wonder what would happen if we started calling politicized, conservative muslims "the conservative, politicized christians of europe?"

i wonder if, in the future, they will hold as much sway over the european electorate as the politicized, conservative christians of america do -- the people that all republicans, who've fact-checked and focused-group these things so please stop telling me there's no such thing, refer to as their base (hey ... doesn't al-qaeda mean "the base" in Arabic?)

AcrobatMan said:
My views on why religions consider homosexuality as IMMORAL.

The anthropological theories are more practical. Myths were created to cement power and to be beyond questioning. It is theorized that ancient tribal society was matriarchal, due to being seen as the bearers of life (as they alone can get pregnant), with homosexuals given an elevated status as mystics, due to their supposed "dual spirit." As such, women controlled the tribe, and homosexuals controlled the spirituality.

Heterosexual men were on the lowest end of the totem pole as the "worker bees." But these worker bees were also stronger, so they were able to overthrow this tribal structure and, once in control of both tribal government and religion, created myths denigrating both women and homosexuals permanently and without question. Who is going to question "God"?

The trouble with these power-mad worker bees, though, is that they're not too bright clearly. This moron certainly takes the cake, and, yet, some people give him authority? Maybe it's time for another multi-millennial hegemony shift.

Melon

I don't know. Homosexuality is not my cup of tea, but if it suits others then let them do their thing. I can't imagine myself thinking, any time soon, that 'these gays have destroyed the moral fibre of my community' or that 'it's not safe to go outside now that there are gay people about'. They have always been there, always will and in a society that prides itself on equality, I guess it's only right that they should have rights too.

well, dont you think there is a common ground between evangelical christians and conservative muslims after all? :wink:

More proof of what I stated in the other thread, and this isn't some random extremist, Sacranie is a respected representative of mainstream Islam in the UK, he is a reflection of community attitudes and with growing population stake increased political influence is bound to follow :|

At least the Anglican Church is so watered down and limp wristed it couldn't afford to try and bring back some "old time religion" :)

A_Wanderer said:
More proof of what I stated in the other thread, and this isn't some random extremist, Sacranie is a respected representative of mainstream Islam in the UK, he is a reflection of community attitudes and with growing population stake increased political influence is bound to follow :|

At least the Anglican Church is so watered down and limp wristed it couldn't afford to try and bring back some "old time religion" :)

His homophobic comments are no different than what you'd get from a "mainstream Christian leader" (including Pope Ratzinger there) so shall we give a resounding :| to Christianity too?

Melon

And he gets to enjoy the same sort of treatment under some other piece of anti-free speech legislation
The head of the Muslim Council of Britain, Sir Iqbal Sacranie, is being investigated by police for saying that homosexuality was "harmful".

The Met Police said they were examining if his remarks constituted an offence under the Public Order Act following a complaint from a member of the public.
link

Maybe this will get him to understand the value of free speech and get him to stop demanding protections for his religion.

Free Speech For All!

Religion is reactionary fantasy!
Sir Iqbal Sacranie on Salman Rushdie
“Death, perhaps, is a bit too easy for him… his mind must be tormented for the rest of his life unless he asks for forgiveness to Almighty Allah.” The Guardian, February 15, 1989
So much respect for free artistic expression there, judge his respect for free speech by his own words and deeds.

Last edited:
melon said:

The anthropological theories are more practical (...) with homosexuals given an elevated status as mystics, due to their supposed "dual spirit." (...) and homosexuals controlled the spirituality.

Which anthropological theory said that? Inquiring minds want to know.

I guess it is largely about culture - what you accept, what you are taught to accept and what you want others to accept. In Plato's Symposium there is a suggestion that men who love women are as immoral - coarse, even 'low' - as men who love young boys. This sort of love is to be avoided . . . etc.

So followers of that philosophy would have believed that heterosexuality was immoral and would have shouted us raging straights down as filthy scum.

Yes, they did use women to make babies - but as women had no real souls, they could not love and, therefore, should not be loved in return . . .

Back
Top Bottom