The real thing at stake this election - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2004, 01:50 PM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:16 PM
The real thing at stake this election

No, it isn't Iraq, the economy or social security. The real thing at stake for this election is the Supreme Court.
Here's an excerpt from today's Electoral Vote editorial (http://www.electoral-vote.com):
Quote:
Supreme Court news: Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist, 80, has thyroid cancer and had an emergency tracheotomy at Bethesda Naval Hospital according to a report in today's Washington Post. Thyroid cancer has several forms, but all are difficult to treat in older patients according to medical experts. Rehnquist is not the only member of the Court to have been diagnosed with cancer. Ruth Bader Ginsburg, 71, had colon cancer, Sandra Day O"Conner, 74, had breast cancer, and John Paul Stevens, 84, had prostate cancer. This latest occurence of cancer once again spotlights the age of the current justices and the fact that the next president is almost certainly going to have multiple vacancies to fill, probably including the Chief Justice. With respect to judicial apppointments, it is harder to imagine two candidates whose judicial appointments would differ more than Bush and Kerry's. Will the next president appoint Justices determined to reverse Roe v. Wade or to reaffirm it? What about teaching of creationism in schools, separation of church and state, medical research using stem cells, and so many other issues on which the candidates differ? Ultimately, practically all of them end up in the Supreme Court. Ten years from now the war in Iraq will be over (hopefully), but the justices the next president appoints will still be on the Court making decisions that affect many aspects of life in America. Think carefully about this issue before voting next Tuesday.
In the editorial of 22 October (http://www.electoral-vote.com/oct/oct22.html) there was also this interesting piece of information:
Quote:

Justice Appointed by Sworn in Age

Stephen Breyer Clinton 1994 66
Ruth Bader Ginsburg Clinton 1993 71
Anthony M. Kennedy Reagan 1988 68
Sandra Day O'Connor Reagan 1981 74
William H. Rehnquist Nixon 1972 80
Antonin Scalia Reagan 1986 68
David H. Souter Bush 1990 65
John Paul Stevens Ford 1975 84
Clarence Thomas Bush 1991 56
As you can see, 5 of the 9 judges have been appointed before 1990 (so more than 15 years ago), with 2 of those even being appointed in the Seventies! So the new judges will be in the Supreme Court for a long time. And by the look of it, the new president may even appoint 4 new judges. So do not (only) consider where you'd like the USA go in the next 4 years, but maybe even more important, where you'd want it to go the next 24 years.

C ya!

Marty

Old 10-26-2004, 01:51 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:16 AM
all the more reason to vote Bush

Old 10-26-2004, 01:54 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Re: The real thing at stake this election

Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn
No, it isn't Iraq, the economy or social security. The real thing at stake for this election is the Supreme Court.
That's what I keep telling people who don't want to vote because they don't like either candidate.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:02 PM   #4
The Fly

Local Time: 03:16 PM
whoever wins .. I just hope they appoint judges very much unlike the ones here in MA that have taken away our right to vote on core social issues.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:06 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:16 AM
This is nothing new. The issue has become a recurring theme for Presidential elections following the full politicization of the Supreme Court with the Bork nomination. Prior to that, the only politics involved with the Supreme Court dealt with the suggestion that there was a "Jewish seat" or an "African-American seat".
Old 10-26-2004, 02:12 PM   #6
Refugee

Excellent point.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:44 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:16 PM
This is definitely a reason to vote.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:03 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
This is nothing new. The issue has become a recurring theme for Presidential elections following the full politicization of the Supreme Court with the Bork nomination. Prior to that, the only politics involved with the Supreme Court dealt with the suggestion that there was a "Jewish seat" or an "African-American seat".
Indeed, it is nothing new (can remember that points like these were also raised for the 2000 elections). The difference now is that no judge has resigned in the past four years (i.e. they all have gotten 4 years older) and that 4 have been diagnosed with cancer. I hope they all recover quickly and completely, but I do think these four seats will become vacant in the next four years. Either because they lose the fight against cancer, or because they want to step back to fight the disease. So the situation (that the president has to appoint new judges for the Supreme Court) has become more realistic for the next four years.

C ya!

Marty
Old 10-27-2004, 05:40 PM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:16 AM
thanks for posting this, Marty.

it's something I have been talking about w other voters!
Old 10-28-2004, 07:27 AM   #10
War Child

Local Time: 11:16 AM
Yes, thanks Marty for posting on that....

The pollsters (hard to type that word sometimes...I wonder if they do blowbyblow cortisol level reactions on this topic as well as campaign ad soundbytes) keep saying that voters never consider the Supreme Court when making their choices in the privacy of the curtained booth, but the situation this year seems hard to ignore.

I hope it changes the fear spotlight from terrorist attacks, over which bush and kerry likely have similarly little control, to the 'supreme' power the highest court has to seriously affect basic rights and interpret the constitution!

cheers all!
Old 10-28-2004, 09:40 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
all the more reason to vote Bush
I'm not a Bush lover, but it does scare me to think of John Kerry appointing a bunch of liberal judges we'll be stuck with for years to come And I absolutely love the way republican presidents have chosen minority conservatives that can't be voted against due to pc-ness that's the biggest in your face turnabout to the liberals I've ever seen. Very clever!

Not meaning to joke, seriously, I mean it, could there be something in the court building making all these people sick? That's a very above average high incidents of cancer per capita is it not? Any other workplace in America have a 50% or higher rate? Maybe they should investigate this, really.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:52 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
Not meaning to joke, seriously, I mean it, could there be something in the court building making all these people sick? That's a very above average high incidents of cancer per capita is it not? Any other workplace in America have a 50% or higher rate? Maybe they should investigate this, really.
Well, I think that a lot probably also has to do with the fact that they are 71, 74, 80 and 84.

And BTW, I'll be more worried for the US when Bush wins and he appoints judges from the fundamental right.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:07 PM   #13
New Yorker

Kitten -- with a Republican president and Republican controlled Congress, Bush can grab from as far right as he wants to.

Boston -- sometimes the people are wrong and the court has to decide a case based on what is just, not what is popular. You have to look no further than Brown v. the Board of Education. And guess who Brown's lawyer was? Former Justice Thurgood Marshall.

The court has been unchanged for the past ten years -- the longest uninterrupted court in almost 200 years I believe. And this is not a normal one judge here, one judge there thing. The youngest is 65 years old. Whoever wins could truly shape judicial law for the next twenty years. Now what do you want -- restrictions on women's rights and religious tolerance? And think about this: Bush won his election court case by a vote of 5-4 -- guess how the justices voted? Now granted, the justices are now doing whatever they can to stay out of this election. They know the decision damaged their reputation and unlike politicians, they try to be non-partisan and I believe they take their positions much more seriously than the congressional or executive branch. Regardless of the candidate, the next four years will be quite interesting.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:23 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by sharky
Kitten -- with a Republican president and Republican controlled Congress, Bush can grab from as far right as he wants to.
More fear mongering to incite the left to vote.

Bush has had the "opportunity" to grab as "far right" as he wants to for the last four years.

Obstruction from the Democrats has made that impossible.

With Supreme Court nominations far more politicized, Bush will not have free reign on his appointments.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:37 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

i would not put a recess apointment passed him