The Real Saddam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It was a good special. I've seen it before. Saddam was a friggin monster.

would it shock you if i told you that all of the people working at that channel are bleeding heart liberals?

;)

No, not really. Liberals can put on good TV shows. I love many programs on Public TV, and I love the show Judging Amy.

it was my experience at Discovery Times that demonstrated to me just how conservative the media has become -- these people weren't all ultra libera, but they were cosmopolitan and secular, and yet they felt the need to literally bend over backwards in order not to in any way, shape, or form give even a patina of liberalism lest they somehow be called "liberal."

Irvine511 said:
it was my experience at Discovery Times that demonstrated to me just how conservative the media has become -- these people weren't all ultra libera, but they were cosmopolitan and secular, and yet they felt the need to literally bend over backwards in order not to in any way, shape, or form give even a patina of liberalism lest they somehow be called "liberal."
And it was my friend's 5 year experience at an NBC news affiliate (in Dallas, no less) that showed him just the opposite; that the news media was liberally slanted, as evidenced by stories he was told to pursue and not to pursue.

AcrobatMan said:
hope they tell that he is not related or connected to Osama ...so that United States of America knows that...
Maybe you should have watched it - if you'd have you'd know exactly how evil this man is, the horrible things he subjected his own people to. If you had seen this, you'd have a hard time boo-hooing that the man was ousted from power.

80sU2isBest said:

Maybe you should have watched it - if you'd have you'd know exactly how evil this man is, the horrible things he subjected his own people to. If you had seen this, you'd have a hard time boo-hooing that the man was ousted from power.

agree with this evaluation of Saddam but that doesnt justify that war, according to me.

Last edited:
AcrobatMan said:

agree with this evaluation of Saddam but that doesnt justify that war, according to me.

Liberating people from a madman like Sadsdam certainly justifies it for me. I don't give a rat's behind if our intelligence agencies, as well as that of Israel, Britain and Russia, were all wrong when they reported that Saddam had WMD. I don't think they were wrong, but even if they were, it wouldn't matter to me.

80sU2isBest said:

Liberating people from a madman like Sadsdam certainly justifies it for me. I don't give a rat's behind if our intelligence agencies, as well as that of Israel, Britain and Russia, were all wrong when they reported that Saddam had WMD. I don't think they were wrong, but even if they were, it wouldn't matter to me.

hmmm :|

If it's a-ok for wars to be started based on bad intelligence, perhaps intelligence should just be done away with then.
Maybe even reasoning. Perhaps the government should just be able to get on with whatever it is without pesky questions being asked. If people don't care, then it shouldn't matter.

80sU2isBest said:
And it was my friend's 5 year experience at an NBC news affiliate (in Dallas, no less) that showed him just the opposite; that the news media was liberally slanted, as evidenced by stories he was told to pursue and not to pursue.

Then there was a lawsuit in the 1990s after FOX bought New World Communications and turned all of their stations into "owned-and-operated" stations where FOX News first fired two news producers at a Florida affiliate for investigating a major corporation (and sponsor), and when they threatened to sue, then tried to force them to create fake news that was friendly to the corporation. When they refused to create fake news, they were fired again. When they tried to sue FOX News under whistleblower protections, they first won the suit, then lost in appeal, because "falsifying news is not illegal."

So don't start preaching about media bias.

Melon

Melon, I wasn't the one who started "preaching about media bias". Read the thread from the beginning.

But now that we are on the subject, let's talk about Dan Rather....

Earnie Shavers said:
If it's a-ok for wars to be started based on bad intelligence, perhaps intelligence should just be done away with then.
Maybe even reasoning. Perhaps the government should just be able to get on with whatever it is without pesky questions being asked. If people don't care, then it shouldn't matter.

Read the thread, Earnie. If you will, you will see that the Discovery Times special about Saddam painted him as the vicious monster that he really is, and that is why I believe the war was justified. Saddam is out of power. That = good, not bad. Look at WW2 - America got involved because Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, not because Hitler was executing Jews. But the war stopped Hitler. That's a good thing.

As for the WMD, the American, Russian, British, and Israeli intelligence agencies all reported that Saddam had WMD.
We still don't know that he didn't; Charles Duelfer himself noted that in the weeks leading up to the war, big trucks were observed transporting large amounts of "unknown material" from Iraq to Syria. It is much more plausible to me that he got rid of the WMD before the war than 4 countries' intelligence agencies being completely wrong.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom