The real reason for the war on terror revealed....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: The real reason for the war on terror revealed....

financeguy said:
I also think that there are suspicious circumstances regarding some recent events in Iraq, such as the beheading of American Nick Berg, allegedly carried out by terrorists,
and I invite anyone to do the research for themselves and make up their own mind on the issue, instead of believing everything they are told by the propaganda machine popularly known as the 'mainstream news media'.

Ahhh, the implication of a conspiracy theory. Care to give us any more, or will we just leave it at that?

What a great site

Auschwitz - Myths & Facts it was only one million, Jews and non-Jews, not a death camp the extermination was a 'myth' for Zionist propaganda.

There is also stuff defending Saddam and a whole heap of anti-semitic articles, fluoride in the drinking water consipracy, it really is not a site that I would trust or cite for information.

Even the Nick Berg article was filled with statements without any clarification; such as the beheadding being fake because there should be more blood. Having seen the video I do not think that it was in any way unrealistic; considering that it was given only minor cover in the media; overshadowed by Abu Ghraib (which was front page news in the New York Times for over 30 consecutive days).

Come on, Wanderer. We were just enjoying a good conspiracy theory. Life is just not fun without good conspiracy theories.

Irvine511 said:
they call themselves Christians. does William Donahue not think of himself as a Christian?

what shall i call them then?

just who is rationalizing? you claimed i said something, which i clearly didn't. i can't possibly specify any more than i already have, and if you're going to deny the anti-gay bent of much of mainstream American Christianity, then you clearly do need to get out of Dupont and spend time in, say, certain churches in southeastern Ohio.

as for FYM, if people can't bother to read closely and carefully, then i'm not going to be responsible for whatever offence they might take.

if someone can't understand the difference between a Christian and what i've bent over backwards to elucidate, then i suppose i'm not terribly interested in what they have to say.

We are expected to put 'Christian' in inverted commas whenever using it in a description of a 'Christian' who has mis-interpreted the Bible. The same does not apply to Islam, which in my view is a double standard.

For an example of 'Christian' terrorism, check this:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord's_Resistance_Army

I am happy to put the word 'Christian' in inverted commas when talking of nominally 'Christian' homophobes and terrorists.

I wish others would pause for a second, and do the same when talking about "Islamic" terrorists.

A_Wanderer said:
There is also stuff defending Saddam

If we're talking of Saddam 'defenders' maybe we should discuss Rumsfeld's various meetings with Saddam.

Last edited:
considering that it was given only minor cover in the media; overshadowed by Abu Ghraib (which was front page news in the New York Times for over 30 consecutive days). [/B]

An interesting point.

financeguy said:

We are expected to put 'Christian' in inverted commas whenever using it in a description of a 'Christian' who has mis-interpreted the Bible. The same does not apply to Islam, which in my view is a double standard.

I'll try to explain my viewpoint on this. The Bible says that the evidence of a Christian is that he is changed. The Bible says that Christians are known by their fruit. What is Christian "fruit"? The Bible actually lists them. Killing, raping, murdering, etc., is not the "fruit" of a Christian, and does not indicate that a man has been changed. Therefore, if I hear of someone who calls himself a Christian but rapes, murders, kills, etc., it places doubts in my head as to whether that person is a Christian. That is why I would use the quotes.

lol Abu Ghraib was on the front page for so many days because it was shocking news. Did you see what our guards were doing to those people. They had them on leashes, they forced them to get naked and lie in uncomfortable homoerotic positions. It was front page news because it shows that Americans are not the righteous liberators as Bush has been trying to portray us as. If we saw pictures like that of Iraqis doing those kind of things to American POWs, we would be shocked and say how wrong it was and how evil they are. When we do it to them, we dismiss it and are shocked by (gasp!) NEWS COVERAGE.

80sU2isBest said:
I'll try to explain my viewpoint on this. The Bible says that the evidence of a Christian is that he is changed. The Bible says that Christians are known by their fruit. What is Christian "fruit"? The Bible actually lists them. Killing, raping, murdering, etc., is not the "fruit" of a Christian, and does not indicate that a man has been changed. Therefore, if I hear of someone who calls himself a Christian but rapes, murders, kills, etc., it places doubts in my head as to whether that person is a Christian. That is why I would use the quotes.

That is all fair enough, but Moslems will say their religion is a religion of peace and 'submission', it is just the apparent double standard, for example in the media, that I am objecting to. George Bush in fairness, is usually clear in not blaming Islam for 'Islamic' terrorism. I think it is a pity that we do not have Muslim contributors to put the case for Islam on FYM as most of us here do not know much about their religion, I suggest. I certainly don't. As Bono says, "co-exist".

I don't consider Christianity to be a religion of peace and I sure as hell don't think Islam is any better. There may well be plenty of moderate Muslims but they are weak in the face of fundamentalism which seems to be a problem all over the Islamic world. Either Islam in it's current iteration is flawed, or it is not being taught right.

Last edited:
Wanderer, you are confusing Christians and people who say they are Christians with Christianity itself, the teachings of Christ.

financeguy said:

That is all fair enough, but Moslems will say their religion is a religion of peace and 'submission', it is just the apparent double standard, for example in the media, that I am objecting to. George Bush in fairness, is usually clear in not blaming Islam for 'Islamic' terrorism. I think it is a pity that we do not have Muslim contributors to put the case for Islam on FYM as most of us here do not know much about their religion, I suggest. I certainly don't. As Bono says, "co-exist".

I understand what you're saying, but I wasn't attempting to explain anything about Islam, just why I differentiate between people who show the "fruits" of being a Christian and those who use the name "Christian" for political, material or territorial gain.

Christianity is not the teachings of Christ; it is the institutions that wield the power in the religious world. Just like when I speak of Islam I am not talking about the Koran, I am talking about certain groups and power structures. There isn't a one size fits all approach and there is not a set rule but overall I cannot see any religion that can be called a religion of peace because practically every one has had violence in it's past or present.

A_Wanderer said:
Christianity is not the teachings of Christ; it is the institutions that wield the power in the religious world. Just like when I speak of Islam I am not talking about the Koran, I am talking about certain groups and power structures.

When YOU talk about Christianity, you mean "the institutions that wield the power in the religious world", but that is not what most people who are Christians are talking about when they say "Christianity". When we say "christianity",we are indeed talking about the "religion", for lack of a better word. By the way, here are the dictionary definitions of Christianity:

1)The Christian religion, founded on the life and teachings of Jesus.
2)Christians as a group; Christendom.
3)The state or fact of being a Christian.

Varies from person to person. If you asked me "What do you think of Christianity?" I'd ask straight back "You mean the religion or the beliefs?"

Why did this thread devolve into another "Christian" thread?

Can people ever stay on target and talk about what the thread is about?

Jamila said:
Why did this thread devolve into another "Christian" thread?

Can people ever stay on target and talk about what the thread is about?

Not necessarily. It is the nature of these kinds of 'wandering' discussions.

80sU2isBest said:
If I were going to beat up people for sinning, I'd beat up people who cheat on their spouses. Well, the men anyway. I don't hit women, so for women who cheat on their husbands, I'd point a gun at them and make them beat themselves up.

and you do live in a 'right to carry' state

Back
Top Bottom