The REAL Poll about the Threads on Deaths from Iraq War - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: What should be done about the Iraq death toll thread?
Keep everything as it is (leave current thread open, allowing only for reports on coalition deaths--no commentary, no reports on wounded or Iraqi dead) 8 34.78%
Leave current thread open, but allow for commentary 0 0%
Leave current thread open, but allow for commentary and reports on coalition wounded 1 4.35%
Leave current thread open, but allow for commentary, reports on coalition wounded, and reports on Iraqi casualties 8 34.78%
Close current thread and start new one under current rules 1 4.35%
Close current thread and start new one under new rules 1 4.35%
Fuck it all and have a drink in the Octagon 4 17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-18-2005, 02:39 PM   #1
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:49 PM
The REAL Poll about the Threads on Deaths from Iraq War

Please choose which option you think would be best. As I stated in the "Toll Grows Higher" thread, I will abide by majority rule for this one and ask the team to do the same.

This does NOT mean this is going to be a pattern at Interference or anything.

Thank you.

Join Amnesty.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:00 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:49 PM
Can we just have a civilian toll thread?

Old 01-18-2005, 03:08 PM   #3
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

That would be under the first option.

We could leave things as they are in the existing thread, and start a new thread for civilian casualties.

Join Amnesty.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:18 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:49 AM
My question is, why is the War forum still open?
Yes, the war still goes on in Iraq, but the traffic (and # of threads) in this forum has dropped considerably. Usually, I don't even bother looking here anymore. So why not merge it with the regular FYM topics like homosexuality, abortion, death penalty, religion and George Bush? Lots of wars are going on in those threads.

*heads over to the Octagon or wherever else there are people*
Old 01-18-2005, 03:22 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

I say new civilian thread.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:38 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:49 AM
I hope I'm not considered too crazy for this, but I'm happy with the status quo. Horrors! Did I say "happy with the status quo"? What's happening to me?
Old 01-18-2005, 04:40 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn
My question is, why is the War forum still open?
Yes, the war still goes on in Iraq, but the traffic (and # of threads) in this forum has dropped considerably. Usually, I don't even bother looking here anymore. So why not merge it with the regular FYM topics like homosexuality, abortion, death penalty, religion and George Bush? Lots of wars are going on in those threads.
I have been wondering this for sometime myself.

The policies of the Bush Administration have a huge effect on the rest of the world.

This War forum seems to be a place where some members want things they don't like to read
- banished to die a neglected death.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:36 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Re: The REAL Poll about the Threads on Deaths from Iraq War

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
Please choose which option you think would be best. As I stated in the "Toll Grows Higher" thread, I will abide by majority rule for this one and ask the team to do the same.

This does NOT mean this is going to be a pattern at Interference or anything.

Thank you.
Why can't you just leave the thread the way it has been for 18 months? Free of politics and potentially offensive comments. Why ruin what has worked so well, something that has been non-political, with the exception of the few times that rule was broken?

Go beyond the simple formula and it becomes what one person finds or does not find offensive and political vs another.

I'm curious as to why a poll is being used in an arena where certain political views are clearly dominant over others? A bit unfair for those in the minority. Those that want to post other things can start their own threads. Why do they have to change this one thread that has worked for 18 months now? Why tamper with the ONLY thread dedicated to honoring the coalition troops who have died in Iraq, which is designed to be free of politically sensitive material?
Old 01-18-2005, 07:49 PM   #9
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Because there are good arguments both for and against the change.

I decided to offer the poll so that people would feel they were presented with options, as this topic is obviously quite sensitive.

Join Amnesty.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:11 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
Because there are good arguments both for and against the change.

I decided to offer the poll so that people would feel they were presented with options, as this topic is obviously quite sensitive.
Its totally unfair to the spirit of the thread which has lasted for 18 months. How can it be fair to potentially change that through a vote? Dreadsox started this thread with one intent. He came back in when things got out of hand and asked everyone to keep politics out of it and stay with the topic of HIS thread. When did people gain the right to fundamentally change someone elses thread, especially a thread that has lasted for 18 months?

If this can be done with a thread this special, it can be done with any thread. How can it be right for others to be able to take away something that has lasted for this long, which they did not start?
Old 01-18-2005, 08:16 PM   #11
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Threads derail all the time, STING, and usually when they derail, we just close them. Keep in mind that if I had closed that thread, and then someone started a new one, it could have been closed as a spin-off, and any other subsequent threads could have met the same fate.

I called for a vote because I did not want to see that happen with Dread's thread. You know how I felt about that thread; believe me, I like very much the idea of reserving one thread as a no-argument zone! It makes my job that much easier. But there are good arguments against that, too.

So I called for a vote. And that is how it is.

Join Amnesty.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:20 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

I think that the issue is about including civilian casualties, I think that civilian casualty counts will be coming from some very questionable sources and will not be accurate but the principle itself is sound. There should be a seperate thread, it maintains the originals intent and will not cause nearly as much argument. By creating a dichotomy in any single thread its going to stop being one of rememberance and become a pissing contest of suffering.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:01 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
There should be a seperate thread, it maintains the originals intent and will not cause nearly as much argument. By creating a dichotomy in any single thread its going to stop being one of rememberance and become a pissing contest of suffering.
Maybe it boils down to just that, that every thread around here has to be turned into a pissing contest

All I was trying to do was my small part in remembering lives that were lost, whenever I could find the information about non-US casualties I tried my best to keep the thread updated and to post it. Who knew a simple thing like that could create accusations and assumptions.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:27 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

AS the person who started the thread over two years ago I am disappointed that a poll is going to determine the status of the thread.

I am disappointed in the people who can't keep politics out of it, and start their own thread.

I am also disappointed that the forum apparently is going to be run by a vote.

Is this the new precident....that we as members of FYM can start interfering in respectful threads and force a vote? Give me a break. No one has ever been allowed to vote on threads before.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:29 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Sad part is I cannot fucking vote because the flipping program will not work on my computer.

This blows.....