The Real McCain - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2008, 12:35 AM   #61
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2387

Actually the 40 million was well spent on prosecuting Bill.
He got him impeached, disbarred and will keep his wife from obtaining the presidency, money well spent for the future of our country- my hot headed little friend.

<>

Old 04-08-2008, 01:07 AM   #62
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluer White
Temperament is a big factor when I vote for a president.

McCain's reputation makes me uneasy.

i think temperament is totally different from "character" -- that seems to refer to the perception of chastity.

this is why i prefer Obama. his relative lack of experience aside (and we know that "experience" is malleable, and that it also gets you people like Cheney and Rumsfeld), he strikes me as being the coolest head in the room, the one not likely to say, on september 12th, "fuck it, we're going after Iraq." or whatever the 2008-2012 equivalent would be.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:08 AM   #63
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Strongbow
John McCain's extensive military service to the United States is NOT a mere footnote nor is it simply about his time as a POW during the Vietnam War. He is the most experienced person on the US military and national security in government today. He has over 50 years of uninterrupted service and experience on these issues.

again, experience can give you people like Cheney and Rumsfeld.

it's about leadership, judgment, and temperance.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:09 AM   #64
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/20...nder_in_chief/

McCain draws mixed reviews among military leaders, and they expressed serious doubts about whether McCain has the right temperament to be the next president and commander in chief. Some expressed more confidence in Obama, citing his temperament as an asset.

It is not difficult in Washington to find high-level military officials who have had close encounters with John McCain's temper, and who find it worrisome. Politicians sometimes scream for effect, but the concern is that McCain has, at times, come across as out of control. It It is difficult to find current or former officers willing to describe those encounters in detail on the record. That's because, by and large, those officers admire McCain. But that doesn't mean they want his finger on the proverbial button, and they are supporting Clinton or Obama instead.

"I like McCain. I respect McCain. But I am a little worried by his knee-jerk response factor," said retired Maj. Gen. Paul Eaton, who was in charge of training the Iraqi military from 2003 to 2004 and is now campaigning for Clinton. "I think it is a little scary. I think this guy's first reactions are not necessarily the best reactions. I believe that he acts on impulse."

"I studied leadership for a long time during 32 years in the military," said retired Air Force Maj. Gen. Scott Gration, a one-time Republican who is supporting Obama. "It is all about character. Who can motivate willing followers? Who has the vision? Who can inspire people?" Gration asked. "I have tremendous respect for John McCain, but I would not follow him."

"One of the things the senior military would like to see when they go visit the president is a kind of consistency, a kind of reliability," explained retired Gen. Merrill McPeak, a former Republican, former chief of staff of the Air Force and former fighter pilot who flew 285 combat missions. McPeak said his perception is that Obama is "not that up when he is up and not that down when he is down. He is kind of a steady Eddie. This is a very important feature," McPeak said. On the other hand, he said, "McCain has got a reputation for being a little volatile." McPeak is campaigning for Obama.

Stephen Wayne, a political science professor at Georgetown who is studying the personalities of the presidential candidates, agrees McCain's temperament is of real concern. "The anger is there," Wayne said. If McCain is the one to answer the phone at 3 a.m., he said, "you worry about an initial emotive, less rational response."
Thanks for that, joyfulgirl. Very interesting to hear that perspective coming from military men.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:45 AM   #65
New Yorker

This may also be why military leaders aren't in favor of McCain.

Not only has he refused to support the 21st Century GI Bill, which the Veterans of Foreign Wars endorsed last June, he has consistently voted against increasing funding for the Veterans’ Administration, which oversees all medical care for veterans:

– Voted AGAINST an amendment providing $20 billion to the VA’s medical facilities. [5/4/06]

– Voted AGAINST providing $430 million to the VA for outpatient care “and treatment for veterans,” one of only 13 senators to do so. [4/26/06]

– Voted AGAINST increasing VA funding by $1.5 billion by closing corporate loopholes. [3/14/06]

– Voted AGAINST increasing VA funding by $1.8 billion by ending “abusive tax loopholes.” [3/10/04]

– Voted AGAINST a $650 million increase in veterans’ medical care funding. [8/1/01]

Though McCain has derided progressive universal health care plans as “a government takeover,” he is mum on the success of the VA, a government-run, integrated approach that, as Paul Krugman put it, is “one of the few clear American success stories in the struggle to contain health care costs.”
Old 04-08-2008, 11:07 AM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Scarletwine
This may also be why military leaders aren't in favor of McCain.
Huh? He's got over 100 former military leaders endorsing him, much more than Hillary and Obama.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:07 AM   #67
ONE
love, blood, life

Only in FYM would the idea be floated of finding fault with the character of a man who is battled test and true patriot for his country, only in FYM.

I often wonder if some of you take the metaphorical "short bus" to your computer monitors every morning.

<>
Old 04-08-2008, 11:10 AM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
Only in FYM would the idea be floated of finding fault with the character of a man who is battled test and true patriot for his country, only in FYM.

<>
Incorrect. I've seen a lot of the same on DailyKos, Media Matters, Huffington Post, and I'm more and more starting to equate some of the stuff I read here to those sites.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:16 AM   #69
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Or in a campaign against George W...

Oh how the right forget...
Old 04-08-2008, 11:21 AM   #70
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2

Incorrect. I've seen a lot of the same on DailyKos, Media Matters, Huffington Post, and I'm more and more starting to equate some of the stuff I read here to those sites.
yes yes, i think that's where a lot garner their weak kneed talking points, then think they're brilliant and come post here.

next when challenged they go to the drama card, name calling and their indivual meltdowns then commence.

next day, same cycle.

pass me a cigar tim.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:23 AM   #71
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I often wonder if some of you take the metaphorical "short bus" to your computer monitors every morning.

<>

i see. we're making fun of the handicapped now.

this, ladies and gentlemen, is a core value of the Republican Party -- making yourself feel better because of the misfortunes of others, the "i got mine, you can't have yours, now fuck off" entitlement crowd.

thank you diamond!
Old 04-08-2008, 11:23 AM   #72
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

If all else fails, go back to trolling...
Old 04-08-2008, 11:24 AM   #73
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

yes yes, i think that's where a lot garner their weak kneed talking points, then think they're brilliant and come post here.

next when challenged they go to the drama card, name calling and their indivual meltdowns then commence.

next day, same cycle.

pass me a cigar tim.

this? from someone who's routinely eviscerated in here?
Old 04-08-2008, 11:25 AM   #74
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2

considering you're quite open about how you liberally borrow from Limbaugh, it's hard not to think that you're hardly in a position to either be throwing stones or to fault others from taking their opinions from an echo chamber. ditto!
Old 04-08-2008, 11:29 AM   #75
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Diamond and 286 are like the dynamic duo of pointing to the other side and accusing the "others" of exactly what they themselves are doing... Maybe they don't have mirrors

It's quite humurous.