The Real McCain - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 04-13-2008, 02:31 PM   #166
Local Time: 10:21 PM
Originally posted by diamond

Here's an interesting article on why Richardson wouldn't support Hillary, he was being pressured by them, told that he owed them etc etc. It's an artcle that shows both Clintons' true colours-power.

Here's the article:

Why Gov. Bill Richardson didn't endorse Clinton
Shari Vialpando / Associated Press
Gov. Bill Richardson, shown here in New Mexico on Tuesday, has drawn criticism from supporters of Bill and Hillary Clinton for endorsing Sen. Barack Obama. "I was loyal," Richardson says. "But I don't think that loyalty is transferable to his wife.... You don't transfer loyalty to a dynasty."
The New Mexico governor says he was dismayed by pressure from the Clinton camp, and impressed by Obama's optimism. Besides, 'you don't transfer loyalty to a dynasty.'
By Mark Z. Barabak, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
April 12, 2008
SANTA FE, N.M. -- Before he endorsed Barack Obama, before he drew the wrath of the Clintons and was likened to Judas, New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson nearly endorsed Hillary Rodham Clinton for president.

But Richardson hesitated, and as the Democratic campaign turned ugly, he grew angry.

There was that "3 a.m." TV ad, in which Clinton questioned Obama's personal mettle. "That upset me," Richardson said.

There were some ham-fisted phone calls from Clinton backers, who questioned Richardson's honor and suggested that the governor, who served in President Clinton's Cabinet, owed Hillary Clinton his support. "That really ticked me off," Richardson said.

Still, even as he moved from Clinton toward Obama -- "the pursuit was pretty relentless on both sides" -- Richardson wrestled with the question of loyalty. After 14 years in Congress and a measure of fame as an international troubleshooter, Richardson was named Clinton's U.N. ambassador, then Energy secretary: "two important appointments," Richardson said.

He finally concluded that he had settled his debt to the former president: He had worked for Clinton's election in 1992, helped pass the North American Free Trade Agreement as part of his administration, stood by him during the Monica S. Lewinsky sex scandal, and rounded up votes to fight impeachment.

"I was loyal," Richardson said during an extended conversation over breakfast this week at the governor's mansion in Santa Fe. "But I don't think that loyalty is transferable to his wife. . . . You don't transfer loyalty to a dynasty."

He was impressed by the mostly positive tone of Obama's campaign, and grew to appreciate the substance and depth of their private conversations. The more Richardson heard from the Washington heavyweights backing Clinton, the more convinced he became of the need for a change inside the Beltway.

It has been three weeks since Richardson embraced the Illinois senator, an endorsement that continues to rankle and resonate -- the significance, it would seem, going far beyond the preference of a governor from a poor, rural state.

But this is a family fight, between kin of the Clinton years, so perhaps the raw emotions shouldn't be surprising. "They're very similar in personality," said Art Torres, chairman of the California Democratic Party and a friend of both Bill Clinton and Richardson. "There was a bond established, and I think [the former president] feels a little hurt."

Attention to the endorsement might have quickly passed but for the strenuous protest of Bill Clinton and others. Speaking for the campaign, advisor Mark Penn suggested Richardson's endorsement came too late to be much help to Obama. "Everyone has their endorsers," he said.

But then James Carville, the pundit, strategist and Clinton loyalist, hurled a lightning bolt by comparing Richardson to Judas and his surrender of Jesus for 30 pieces of silver.

Soon after came an odd back-and-forth concerning a private conversation in which, supposedly, either Hillary Clinton or Richardson dismissed Obama as unelectable. (Neither party will discuss particulars, but Richardson said he never made that statement.)

Days later, just when interest in the endorsement seemed to wane, former President Clinton exploded in a rant about Richardson at the California Democratic Party convention. He later apologized, but his tirade in a closed-door session with superdelegates rekindled the story for several more days.

People close to Clinton said he views the governor's action as a personal betrayal. "I think [Richardson] really owes a big chunk of his success and his career to the Clintons," said an associate who has discussed the matter with the former president and requested anonymity to speak candidly.

"Look," Richardson responded, "I was a successful congressman rescuing hostages before I was appointed. I was a governor afterward, elected on my own."

Even more than the endorsement, Clinton's associate said, the former president was angry because he thought Richardson broke his word. The two men watched the Super Bowl together at the governor's mansion -- Clinton made a special trip from California in bad weather -- and the former president walked away convinced that Richardson would endorse his wife or, at least, stay neutral.

Richardson was, in fact, close to backing the New York senator that day, though his advisors -- many of whom backed Obama -- urged him to wait. "I remember talking to the president and saying, 'I'm leaning. But I'm not there yet.' He denied pledging neutrality if he changed his mind. "Sometimes people hear what they want to hear," Richardson said.

Normally the most gregarious of politicians, the governor during the interview this week was subdued as he slowly worked his way through a plate of scrambled eggs, bacon and green chiles. His voice was soft, and he rarely smiled.

His endorsement had been highly coveted, due largely to his stature as one of the country's most prominent Latino leaders. The pursuit began soon after Richardson quit the presidential race on Jan. 10.

Re Biden although a decent and warm speaker, he comes across lofty and a bit Kerry like, plus the plagerism issue back in the 80s.

Richardson I think is more genuine, but I do remember him early in the Lewinsky scandal huddling with Bill and Veron Jordan aiming to besmirch Monica. The blue dress surfaced later and unbeknown to Richardson he coulda been played or used the same way ( or even known perhaps that something was up) Colin Powell was played by the Bush Administrtion in the UN. I think subconsciously it may have bothered Bill Richardson that early on he was lying for Bill, and in the meantime the Clintons still say "hey you owe us". You gotta love Richardson for saying F/O to the Clinton machine.

I don't think Bill's only character flaw was his libdo, I view him more as pathological and always able to tidy up his loose ends- this is the only way that he was finally nailed and it wasn't pretty.

Az is a great place if you're heat tolerent, in which I'm not but I have 2 beautiful teenage girls from a 1st marriage that keep me here along with an outstanding wife. I grew up in So. Cal where the weather is nearly perfect however I'm stuck here for another 5 years it looks like.

I have many bootlegs of U2, and pretty sure I have Tempe 87 Joshua Tree Tour-thanks for your offer.

Stay well #387 and looking forward to your posts.

Hey, thanks, Dave, appreciate it. I too was glad to see Richardson not take shit from the Clintons- everything he said in that article, you have made complete sense- how he had been loyal, had stood on his own before Clinton and has since, etc. Maybe Richardson lost the Clintons as friends, but that is all- he lost none of his ability to be listened to, well known and respected as a public servant. I liked Bill as President, was well aware of his flaws, etc. He has not made me angry until this campaign and the stupider by the day explanations for the indefensible-wanting an election they have no mathematical chance of winning just to go back to the White House. I say they had 8 yrs and as Richardson pointed out, Hillary is not Bill. And to think I have no particular loyalty to Obama as I pointed out. I cant imagine what his hard core supporters think of Hillary and what she thinks that means for her if she gets the nomination. Alot of people crossing to McCain is my guess.

Carville is just a joke, he and Begala(his partner in crime) along with Hillary campaign manager Terry MCauliffe did a great job of getting Bill Clinton elected-which was fine with me. However, as a Democrat, I think they did a great job of DESTROYING the party in the 1990s and early 2000s. Their strategy, evident in the Hillary campaign now, is to get the liberal coasts, some upper midwest, and put your hands together and pray for either Florida or Ohio. Every other possible swing state is ignored-Colorado, Missouri, Arizona, West Virginia, etc. That strategy was what made the last 2 elections a loss for the Democrats by one state. At least now, the Dems are getting smart enough to compete in every state and actually not be arrogant and listen to people in the South and out West and put up candidates who reflect their district's views and not some Washington criteria. I liked Jim Pederson out in your state, Bob Casey of PA, Jim Webb of VA, Jon Tester of MT- not trying to argue about the merits of either of these guys, just pointing out that they dont 100% fit a liberal NYC checklist, which is where the problems came in in the past- fit that check list plus be a donor to the Clintons, your candidacy was promoted strongly, regardless of electability/views. I have no problem admiting that pre 2006, people were justified in viewing Democrats as condescending to most of the country because of this never so veiled strategy. The way I saw it, why should we have been shocked that people did not vote for us when we were not even considerate enough to show up, share our values and listen to them? I certainly have no problem pointing out where my own party elite has done idiotic things that have cost us with whole groups and regions of voters.

They had this strategy, have seen it fail, everyone else has seen it fail. Despite all this, the Clintons keep using it. Richardson being a westerner, sees it is a failure and goes for Obama- someone who in many ways, represents the 2006 Democratic strategy of competing in every state, not discounting people, not dividing red v blue, etc. Obama campaigned for alot of these moderate-conservative Democratic congress people and they have also endorsed him. They know their districts and constituents and know who can get the cross over votes and its not Hillary.

The reason I mentioned Arizona was you just would not believe how many people in New England are moving out there, want to move out there, have had their parents retire and move out there, etc. All come back and rave about it. All would take it over Florida. I guess it is easy for us to say we are heat tolerant when it is cold as hell from november-april, so I wont comment until I actually get out there. Scottsdale @100 degrees always sounds good when it is 10 below here. I hear you on Southern California- LA, Orange County, San Diego area I absolutely loved- sunny and 75-80 is perfect for me! Take care, see you around.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:56 AM   #167
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 10:21 PM
Someone actually asked him about it