The Reagan Miniseries - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2003, 10:39 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:12 PM
The Reagan Miniseries

Looks like it might be canceled

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/TV/1...eut/index.html

I hate to agree w/ Barbra , but why doesn't everyone just wait to see it? I think it's scary for a political party to have this much influence over a TV network, but I suppose the network is so afraid of bad publicity and losing advertisers that they will cave in.

On the other hand maybe the movie is biased/inaccurate. But I'd like to see it for myself the way it was originally made.

And I'd feel exactly the same way if conservatives were making a movie about a Democrat.

Old 11-04-2003, 11:00 AM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:12 PM
The timing is extremely insensitive.

But really, bitching about the actors leanings is ridiculous. I personally have never seen any of Reagan's acting, except for that in the White House, but did he always play a "conservative"? Probably not, that's why they call it acting people.

Hasn't anyone figured out that all history has a certain bias or leaning. Quit letting TV and Entertainment be your sole source of education and quit your whining.

Old 11-04-2003, 11:28 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:12 AM
I think maybe the timing is not great. Although I couldn't stand Reagan the president I feel sorry for any family that has to deal with Alzheimer's. One of my best friends at church, who sponsored me through catechism, has a father with Alzheimer's. That being said I really don't think it matters what the actors political views are. I agree, people shouldn't let entertainment be their education. But all history is subjective and this yelling about "objectivity" is nonsense.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:01 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

You can't speak ill of the dead, especially when he is the living dead, and, on top of it, a living dead god in the eyes of the GOP.

*tongue planted firmly in cheek

Anything short of unadulterated worship would have been insufficient for the RNC.

Melon
Old 11-04-2003, 04:02 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Is it to much to ask that individuals attempt to produce something that is objective, accurate and balanced, instead of the opposite which may please a certain group anger another, and intrigue the masses to watch because of the controversy, there by boosting ratings and money?
Old 11-04-2003, 04:04 PM   #6
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
Is it to much to ask that individuals attempt to produce something that is objective, accurate and balanced, instead of the opposite which may please a certain group anger another, and intrigue the masses to watch because of the controversy, there by boosting ratings and money?
Now when was the last time you saw that?
Old 11-04-2003, 04:13 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Ever seen "Saving Private Ryan"?
Old 11-04-2003, 04:28 PM   #8
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Any story retold will have some personal perspective. It's impossible not to unless you filmed it while it was happening, from a neutral location.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:39 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

BonoVoxSupastar,

"Is it to much to ask that individuals ATTEMPT to produce something that is objective, accurate and balanced, instead of the opposite which may please a certain group anger another, and intrigue the masses to watch because of the controversy, there by boosting ratings and money?"

The Key word here is ATTEMPT. Nothing is ever perfect, but I think it can be obvious if one actually attempted to be Objective, accurate, and balanced.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:50 PM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
BonoVoxSupastar,

"Is it to much to ask that individuals ATTEMPT to produce something that is objective, accurate and balanced, instead of the opposite which may please a certain group anger another, and intrigue the masses to watch because of the controversy, there by boosting ratings and money?"

The Key word here is ATTEMPT. Nothing is ever perfect, but I think it can be obvious if one actually attempted to be Objective, accurate, and balanced.
Ok, yes I agree. But no one here knows if they didn't "attempt" to or not.
Old 11-04-2003, 05:34 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Quit letting TV and Entertainment be your sole source of education and quit your whining.
Amen.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:36 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I think it's fair to ask the filmmakers to make some changes if there are concerns about historical accuracy, such as the AIDS remark. But it would be a shame if the GOP really does have so much power that they could force the filmmakers to completely water down their original version.
Old 11-04-2003, 06:53 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades
But it would be a shame if the GOP really does have so much power that they could force the filmmakers to completely water down their original version.
Yet Another Right Wing Conspiracy?

Plenty of movies and television programs go through public scrutiny before and after they are aired. This is all part of public discourse.

Quote:
Quit letting TV and Entertainment be your sole source of education
Turn off the damn thing and read!
Old 11-04-2003, 09:40 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Ever seen "Saving Private Ryan"?
Read a history text sometime. Yes, we have hit sufficient distance between 1945 and the present that we feel that we can report on WWII "objectively." However, look at that same history text when it starts talking about more recent events. All of it is biased.

To be honest, we will not be able to judge Reagan and the effect of his policies until 50 or more years after the fact, when he is as irrelevant to the present as FDR.

Melon
Old 11-04-2003, 11:23 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

melon,

"Read a history text sometime" I've read several. To some extent it is true that there is more controversy on things considered "current events". But I don't think that means one cannot be objective or that its impossible to be objective about current events.

Members of the US military have already been feeling the effects of Reagans policies and continue to benefit from them today. Nearly all of the weapon systems are forces are fighting with and many of the tactics and training procedures in current use were developed during the Reagan/Bush era.