The purpose of the War on Terror

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
What is the purpose of the War on Terror, in your view?

Is it simply to defend the West, and the rest of the world, from a real terror threat?

Is its purpose to create an American Empire?

Or do you think the purpose is to control oil for business interests of the super-rich, more or less independent of America or any other country? Or is this at least a part of the reason?

Do you more or less believe the official version of the War on Terror, or are there hidden reasons behind it?

Last edited:
Other: Wipe out terrorism as much as possible, for the sake of the world

financeguy said:

Is it simply to defend the West from a real terror threat?

Or do you think the purpose is to control oil for business interests of the super-rich, more or less independent of America or any other country?

Do you believe the official version of the War on Terror, or are there hidden reasons behind it?

The real reason is to provide grist for conspiarcay theory mills and for the far left.

Re: Re: The purpose of the War on Terror

cardosino said:
The real reason is to provide grist for conspiarcay theory mills and for the far left.

:laugh: Funny, I admit.

financeguy said:
Right. So that's the official version, which I did allude to above.

That's not exactly what you alluded to above. You used the words "the west", not "the world", as I did.

80sU2isBest said:

That's not exactly what you alluded to above. You used the words "the west", not "the world", as I did.

Point taken. OP edited accordingly.

Last edited:
Oil, one-up Daddy Bush, take the attention off of Saudi Arabia and to catch a villain that was decidedly easier to catch than Bin Laden (Of course, catching Bin Laden would have eliminated the excuse to go into Irag to the American people which may be why we didn't try really hard in Afghanistan)

And, of course, to spread democracy. :wink:

the percentage of us senators and those in government with kids in the military is bigger in proportion than those of the average american citizens. i highly doubt they wouldve voted for the war and sent their own kids to die for oil or just to one up daddy bush....if i can find the link where this info is, ill post it.

NYRangers78 said:
the percentage of us senators and those in government with kids in the military is bigger in proportion than those of the average american citizens. i highly doubt they wouldve voted for the war and sent their own kids to die for oil or just to one up daddy bush....if i can find the link where this info is, ill post it.

Please do, if you find it. I have seen a list showing that there are far more veterans among Democratic politicians than Republican politicians, incidentally.

financeguy said:
It is a misnomer; you cannot crush terrorism. But since you cannot declare a War on Radical Islam without getting a lot of people upset it has to do.

Is it simply to defend the West, and the rest of the world, from a real terror threat?
I think that there is a genuine threat posed by Islamist groups that must be dealt with now rather than let it grow and risk serious concequences; the ultimate being say a coup in Pakistan that enabled Islamist terrorists to have nuclear weapons.

That depends on how you define empire; if you mean having American troops permanantly stationed all around the world while American companies run every part of these countries I would say no. If you mean playing a carrot and stick game that persuades and encourages democratic change and economic liberalisation then I would say yes.

Or do you think the purpose is to control oil for business interests of the super-rich, more or less independent of America or any other country? Or is this at least a part of the reason?
No, there are easier and cheaper ways to make money that "stealing" the oil. Having friendly governments with oil however is a strategic point that will protect the US energy supply to some degree if ever a rival superpower comes up and gets belligerant.

Do you more or less believe the official version of the War on Terror, or are there hidden reasons behind it?
Load of PC bollocks where governments bend over backwards insisting that Islam is not the problem ~ of course it is the problem, in that it is the common thread of such terrorists who find inspiration for their dreams of mass murder, subjegation and theocracy in it; the purpose is to crush support for Islamist groups by opening up the Muslim world to change; this if sucessfull will make the whole world safer.

financeguy said:

Please do, if you find it. I have seen a list showing that there are far more veterans among Democratic politicians than Republican politicians, incidentally.

finance, maybe so, i typed it on google....i cant find it. i remember the statistic came out when michael moore was berating US officals to send their own kids to the war instead of the average citizens..anyone know a good site to find this info?

While the figures are played with loosely as far as the meaning of the numbers of congressional child representation, here are the numbers NYRangers78 was looking for, I think. 3 children of Congressmen or Senators and one child of ex-cabinet member.

http://www.bowlingfortruth.com/fahrenheit911/warsignup.htm

I've also attached the resolution for war powers for Iraq and the reason given for the successful resolution.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c107:3:./temp/~c1074mQmZ7::

This is what they voted for. Don't think that is what they got.

war on terror my arse
Its just an excuse to expand american interests
The middle east is a rich region in water and oil
with Hussein in power, there was no way to make bussiness, because he was eating all of the cake

The "War on Terror" is a pretty broad thing and so it's hard to categorise in one hit. Different parts are different things.
I think some parts are a very direct and sincere attempt to make a difference and remove a threat. Other parts are simply opportunistic. Rumsfeld said it himself "all things related and not".

Back
Top Bottom