"The Proper Way To Hang A Confederate Flag"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I think that's a very powerful work of art and makes a definite statement. I find it quite ironic that Hurst is extremely offended by the "lynching" of a flag, that's not the offensive aspect of the point the artist is trying to make :slant: And hello, it is for Black History Month.

Museums should definitely promote dialogue.

ap_flag_070316_vsp.jpg

ABC News

March 16, 2007 — - The Sons of Confederate Veterans waged war this week with a Florida art museum over artwork featured in a Black History Month art exhibition.

But for now, the Confederacy has lost again.

As part of its "AfroProvocations" exhibition, the Mary Brogan Museum of Art and Science in Tallahassee, Fla., included a work by artist John Sims called "The Proper Way to Hang a Confederate Flag."

Quite simply, Sims, who is black, hung a Confederate flag from a 13-foot gallows.

When Bob Hurst, the commander of the Sons of Confederate Veterans chapter in Tallahassee, learned about the Sims work early in the week, he met with and sent a letter to museum executive director Chucha Barber, asking her to pull the piece from the exhibition.

Technically, Hurst cited existing Florida statutes that prohibit using the Confederate flag in any kind of abusive way.

Personally, he described Sims as a gimmick artist and a purveyor of "hate speech" supported by the museum.

"John Sims falls into that category of 'artists' who, lacking true talent, must rely on gimmicks (and controversy) to keep the grants coming," Hurst wrote in his letter.

It's not the first time that Sims, who lives in Sarasota, Fla., has tussled with the Confederate organization.

In 2004, Gettysburg College in Pennsylvania -- which calls home the site of one of the bloodiest Civil War battles -- welcomed Sims and the very same piece of art to the campus. The gallows were to be featured outside.

In no time ads were taken out in local newspapers and hate letters -- some 10,000 -- and death threats started to pour into the college. The university responded to the controversy, agreeing to move the exhibit to an inside location.

Sims had to re-create the exhibit, which, at 13 feet tall, wouldn't fit inside the building. In an interview with ABC News, Sims said he was angry, and thought the opposition to the show, which he said was driven by white supremacist groups, seemed as if they'd won their campaign.

"I boycotted my own show," Sims said.

But for the current show, there will be no downsizing involved.

Barber took Hurst's concerns about the state statutes to the nearby Florida state attorney's office for advice.

To her, the relevant part of the statute -- Florida 256.051 -- was the section that said Confederate flags could be used for any "decorative" purposes. Her contact in the state attorney's office agreed.

"He didn't think the museum needed to take any action," Barber said of the counsel she received.

She also reached out to Molly Hutton, the museum director at Gettysburg College, who, in 2004, supported the Sims exhibit. She put Hurst's objections tot the Sims piece before her board members for their input.

Friday, Barber announced that the Sims work wasn't going anywhere, despite the organization's outrage.

"When you see a Confederate flag, it evokes a passionate response," Barber acknowledged.

"But as a museum, it is not our intent to promote a particular viewpoint, a particular ideology," she said. "It's our mission to promote dialogue."

To her, that's exactly the quality that makes the Sims work succeed.

After learning of the museum's verdict, Hurst had a much different take.

"He's lynching a Confederate flag," Hurst said of Sims. "I hate to give this man that publicity he's going to get because I don't think he's worth it, but it's extremely offensive for us."

As for action, Hurst was unclear on what the group's next step might be. He had already contacted a national leader of the Sons of Confederate Veterans for guidance.

"I've heard recommendations everywhere, from ignoring this guy to some good ol' boys down here who are ready to launch an attack," Hurst said. "But I think we'll ignore him because he's pretty easy to ignore."

Sims said he was satisfied with the Brogan Museum's support and speculated that most Americans would support his art despite the concerns raised by his critics.

"The Civil War is over," Sims said. "The Confederate flag was a symbol of treason connected with the maintenance of slavery."

And on top of that, he added, "These people completely sabotaged my last show."

I am 1000000000000000000000000000000000000% against slavery, But should America shun it's past, or should we keep it and learn our history, we should not hide the past we should keep it as a rememberce of what we were once and what we should strive to stay away from again.

Justin24 said:
I am 1000000000000000000000000000000000000% against slavery, But should America shun it's past, or should we keep it and learn our history, we should not hide the past we should keep it as a rememberce of what we were once and what we should strive to stay away from again.

Who's hiding anything?

"The Confederate flag was a symbol of treason connected with the maintenance of slavery."

more or less

This is what I believe.

I also believe we would have been better off if we just banned the display of it from the beginning.

As the Germans did with the Nazi flag.

deep said:

more or less

This is what I believe.

I also believe we would have been better off if we just banned the display of it from the beginning.

As the Germans did with the Nazi flag.

But is there any better way to say to people passing by: "Hello, here lives a stupid. Don't waste your time on me, I haven't learned anything."?
Something along those lines.

Justin24 said:

In the past, people have asked to Ban the Confederate flag, when it's part of US history.

Yes it's part of history, just like slavery was. But no one(at least vocally) is asking for slavery back, yet there are still folks who want to fly the flag.

Why would you still want to fly that flag?

I would not want to fly it on a flag pole, but have it displayed in a museum that covers the subject of the south ceseding from the Union and the begining and end of the civil war.

I think it's a great, visually arresting piece and completely appropriate for the exhibit. I vaguely remember reading about the controversy when it was showed in Pennsylvania a few years back; there were several articles about a power struggle of sorts going on within the Sons of Confederate Veterans (which is for veterans' male descendants, not literally their sons of course :wink: ) at the time. Historically the focus of the group had been maintaining Southern Civil War sites, cemeteries, etc. but it was coming under strong influence from 'revisionist' and, in some cases, openly white supremacist groups who wanted it to take a more activist role.

Justin24 said:
I would not want to fly it on a flag pole, but have it displayed in a museum that covers the subject of the south ceseding from the Union and the begining and end of the civil war.

And it will, and honestly that's the only place it should be hung. Unfortunately you'll still find it on flagpoles, mudflaps, tattooed on redneck's asses, and t-shirts all over the south.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

And it will, and honestly that's the only place it should be hung. Unfortunately you'll still find it on flagpoles, mudflaps, tattooed on redneck's asses, and t-shirts all over the south.

Thats true, Going on a limb here, but isn't that their culture that they want to remember? Even though the mentalitly of it is wrong. Some say the civil war was not about slavery but a states right to succed from the union as it says in the constitution?

Justin24 said:

Thats true, Going on a limb here, but isn't that their culture that they want to remember? Even though the mentalitly of it is wrong. Some say the civil war was not about slavery but a states right to succed from the union as it says in the constitution?

Should we allow people to live in ignorance?

If they chose to live in ignorance, who are we to change them? Like I can't change you to belive my belife correct. I would never support slavery or that flag, but if they chose to live that way. If they want to change, they must do it for themselves, other wise if we made them or forced them we would be a police state.

Justin24 said:
Some say the civil war was not about slavery but a states right to succed from the union as it says in the constitution?

The reality is

that the Southern States only seceded because of their desire to protect and maintain slavery(period).

How many free (non-slave) states seceded?

Justin24 said:
If they chose to live in ignorance, who are we to change them? Like I can't change you to belive my belife correct. I would never support slavery or that flag, but if they chose to live that way. If they want to change, they must do it for themselves, other wise if we made them or forced them we would be a police state.

So you think the programs here in Germany to get people out of the Neo-Nazi or Skinheade scene out are wrong?

You can't abolish something and think everybody stops to think that way.
but it's important to try to get them think about what they believe and change their mind. That's nothing to do with a police state.

Justin24 said:

Of course they can live in ignorance, and if they want to hang it on their property then do so. Just don't hang it at my courthouse or wear it in my schools.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Of course they can live in ignorance, and if they want to hang it on their property then do so. Just don't hang it at my courthouse or wear it in my schools.

I totally agree with that.

Oh I wish I was in the land of cotton
Old things they are not forgotten
Look away, look away, look away dixieland

Re: Re: "The Proper Way To Hang A Confederate Flag"

Vincent Vega said:

Wow, these guys must be old.

There is a Son's of Union Veterans organization as well. At this point the organization in the town I live in is made up of grandchildren. They have a building that is about 100+ years old that I have been helping restore. The artifacts in this hall are outstanding.

Back
Top Bottom