The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2004, 10:27 AM   #16
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:32 AM
Absolutely, NBC. Housework and childcare is a partnership. You've provided a good example of how sexist assumptions hurt men as well as women.

sd

Old 03-24-2004, 10:31 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:32 PM
I'm sorry, I'm not a fan of Dr. Laura.

Old 03-24-2004, 10:46 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

A lot of men abdicate their family responsibilities and lose out on the real wealth (beyond $$) a family brings.
So true, and it has a terrible effect on their children, as I know too well

Yes, marriage should ideally be a true partnership, but sadly there are many people who still don't see it that way, even younger people. I think the most influential factor is the kind of relationship your parents have, and especially the influence mothers have on sons. I think these issues should be discussed thoroughly (expectations, etc) before people get married.
Old 03-24-2004, 10:53 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by oliveu2cm
She seems to go so far as to call herself Psychotherapist:
Well, at least half of that word describes her well... .

Anywho, seriously, I agree with the others. The best relationships are ones in which both people are equal in their respect and support and love of the other, and who are equal in the workload they may take on. .

Angela
Old 03-24-2004, 11:11 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

A lot of men abdicate their family responsibilities and lose out on the real wealth (beyond $$) a family brings.
You're so right. I've seen that happen. Sexism hurts both sexes, not just women.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:15 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
She's no worse than the opposite camp telling women they must be out in the workforce proving themselves, shattering the glass ceilings of the world, eating men for breakfast...I wish these people would all fuck off and stop telling women to adhere ot one stereotype or another. It doesn't matter which one. Be Mrs Housewife, or be Ms CEO. Just be whatever the hell makes you happy. There is nothing wrong with either. there is something wrong with individuals and groups who feel they have a civic duty to drill any stereoptype into any person, male or female.
I agree. I don't see why a woman with children should necessarily be out there climbing the corporate ladder or whatever. Someone I know of who's made the wise choice is Mary Matalin, the Republican who's married to James Carville. She quit her job with Dick Cheney so she could stay home with her children and just be a mother. I read an article she wrote about this. She was so much happier being a mother than she was in a high-power position. She just loves her life with her children and her husband. It was a very wise choice on her part, and I just wish more women would make choices based on what they want as opposed to trying to impress other people all the time.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:47 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:32 AM
What a loon. Is there anymore one can say?
Old 03-24-2004, 11:53 AM   #23
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 06:32 AM
She makes my skin crawl
Old 03-24-2004, 12:17 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:32 AM
I had some unpleasant (and I'm being generous) interactions with both "Dr." Laura and her husband when I worked in publishing.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:22 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

...and I just wish more women would make choices based on what they want as opposed to trying to impress other people all the time.
I've never met a professional woman who was trying to impress anyone by climbing the corporate ladder - but rather, because a career is truly what she wanted to do in life, and because of society's continual evolution in that respect towards women, they are now able to be hired for more jobs and succeed at them.

As for me, I am a professional who is living with my boyfriend of the past 5 years. I am truly doing what I want in life. I have never wanted to be anyone's wife or mother.

Old 03-24-2004, 12:25 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

I want to be a housewife.

But Sam wants to be a househusband, so I think we're both just supremely lazy.

And I agree completely about the people who criticize women who CHOOSE to stay at home or couples who choose to have children.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:26 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by HelloAngel

I've never met a professional woman who was trying to impress anyone by climbing the corporate ladder - but rather, because a career is truly what she wanted to do in life, and because of society's continual evolution in that respect towards women, they are now able to be hired for more jobs and succeed at them.

As for me, I am a professional who is living with my boyfriend of the past 5 years. I am truly doing what I want in life. I have never wanted to be anyone's wife or mother.

I'm not saying that women who are climbing the corporate ladder are just out to impress people or whatever. I'm just stating a hypothetical situation in which Woman X, or Man X for that matter, might be ignoring his or her emotional needs to try to impress other people. I should know, I have done this myself, and it's a drag. I had to make some big time changes to stop self-destructive tendencies. Ugh. I don't want anyone else to make this mistake.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:39 PM   #28
War Child

I agree that people getting married have mutual respect for each other and be what they want to be, not conform to what some expert tells us, I have been married for 21 years, I am a housewife and a mother but that was my choice.. and I don't have a problem with other women having different choices, career or whatever, I done what makes me happy and it has worked out fine, best of all my husband is also my best friend, and we always manage to pull each other up when one of us is down, we never let anything come between us and our relationship, we still holds hand in public and always tell each other every day how much we love and appreciate each other
and we reckon we are pretty lucky to keep our relationship fresh and fun and still going... and I would not follow any advice from some woman who wrote a book, I will just follow my heart
Old 03-24-2004, 12:40 PM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

I'm not saying that women who are climbing the corporate ladder are just out to impress people or whatever. I'm just stating a hypothetical situation in which Woman X, or Man X for that matter, might be ignoring his or her emotional needs to try to impress other people. I should know, I have done this myself, and it's a drag. I had to make some big time changes to stop self-destructive tendencies. Ugh. I don't want anyone else to make this mistake.
I'm sure that happens to a great extent.. but I also think that there are many of us out there who have the supreme emotional need to be a workaholic professionally like myself. I am never more happy than when I am working. Domestic life, whenever I have to deal with it on the weekends makes me miserable.

Old 03-24-2004, 12:55 PM   #30
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

I LOATHE working. I wish I could stay home.