The Pope, on a slightly happier note (Not Offensive)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miricale_Drug

War Child
Hi, whilst we are all praying for the Holy Father, i thought i would remind this forum of the story about John Paul II and U2.

Does anyone else remember the time that the Pope was visited by U2 and insisted upon trying on 'the fly' glasses? What a pity the picture was destroyed by the Vatican.

End of cheering up message, David

Ahh...i remember that! I remember how cool I thought Bono was at the time because the Pope wore his shades. Ugh! I want that picture! Why does the Vatican have to always ruin everything!

The nearest thing we have is a picture of bono with the shades on him (bono) standing next to the pope. Since i think they both have blue eyes it might be possible to superinpose the glasses on to him.. but that might be a bit tastelss now.

But as ITN news said earlier.. the vatican make their own rules.. we just have to live by them

:lol:

What? I'm fairly new to the band (in the last year or so) and have never heard anything like this. That's fantastic.

Did the Vatican say why they felt the need to destroy the picture? Those guys need to lighten up.:wink:

here are some photos from the encounter:
bono_137.jpg

bonopope.jpg

448979.jpg

may he rest in peace. :sad:

I remember seeing this. It'll be one of my fondest memories of this pope, always. You can tell that both he and Bono have and had the extraordinary power to reach out and touch people in their own special way. Neither is perfect, but both were and are extraordinary.

The fact that he accepted to wore Bono's glasses tells you what kind of a man he was...

I am sure that tonight it will be a very emotional concert in Anaheim, given Bono's respect and love for the Pope. And I am sure that it will be hard for Bono and the band to cary it through.

With that said, I am also sure that all the boys will pay him the tribute that this truly great, great man deserves.

Miricale_Drug said:
Does anyone else remember the time that the Pope was visited by U2 and insisted upon trying on 'the fly' glasses? What a pity the picture was destroyed by the Vatican.

Why? Nothing wrong with the Pope showing a sense of humor, is there?

RIP, Pope John Paul II.

Can someone tell when did this take place and what were the circumstances? :hug:

I think Bob Geldof and Bono met the Pope to discuss dropping the debt campaign in 2000 (or maybe 2001).

Re: Re: The Pope, on a slightly happier note (Not Offensive)

Sue DeNym said:

Why? Nothing wrong with the Pope showing a sense of humor, is there?

RIP, Pope John Paul II.

But Sue, the original post never said there was anything wrong with the Pope trying on the sunglasses... I'm certain that they meant it affectionately.

Re: Re: Re: The Pope, on a slightly happier note (Not Offensive)

sallycinnamon78 said:

But Sue, the original post never said there was anything wrong with the Pope trying on the sunglasses... I'm certain that they meant it affectionately.

I think Sue was asking why the Vatican wouldn't allow the pictures to be released. :)

Re: Re: Re: Re: The Pope, on a slightly happier note (Not Offensive)

Lara Mullen said:

I think Sue was asking why the Vatican wouldn't allow the pictures to be released. :)

Oh dear! :) Sorry! I haven't slept in days so my brain said goodnight earlier this week and has not been seen since. :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom