the politics of "outing" - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2005, 02:17 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Newsflash: social conservatives aren't interested in compromise. They've declared war on us, and the best we've done is sit back and mope.

Staff members of homophobic politicians are fair game too. They're contributing ammunition to our enemies and deserve what they get.

i guess it will only be a war if we respond with guerrilla tactics.

perhaps i'm more MLK than Malcolm X.

all you need is love?

Old 10-05-2005, 02:19 PM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Yes, it happens. But is it correct? If you disagree with exposing private lives for political purposes, I think you've answered your question on outing.

does it matter who does it first?

if by viewing the private lives of individual as a political matter worthy of someone as influential as many pastors are in the African-American community, does that individual then make his life open for scrutiny? he has made it his business to make the personal lives of people matter -- and, at the end of the day, don't personal lives matter, since society rewards aspects of personal life like marriage, which is the public sanction, recognition, and appreciation of one's private life -- then isn't he subject to the same standards?

Old 10-05-2005, 03:00 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

This idea appeals to me about as much as getting a root canal.

I never managed to understand why it is that a government should be interested in what happens in people's bedrooms behind closed doors (obviously illegal activities aside). In that vein, I also don't understand why it is the business of any citizen what their neighbour, be it a private citizen or a public figure, does in their private life.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:12 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Newsflash: social conservatives aren't interested in compromise. They've declared war on us, and the best we've done is sit back and mope.

Staff members of homophobic politicians are fair game too. They're contributing ammunition to our enemies and deserve what they get.

Melon
I can certainly see Irvine's point and while I am torn on this issue, I think I lean more towards your thinking. I've just seen too many people literally die because of homophobia and I don't have much patience with it anymore. I really don't feel too badly for hypocritical politicians being outed.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:19 PM   #20
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:23 PM
If you are damaging those that are like you, then yes by all means expose their hypocricy.

It would be like if someone on here would throw racial slurs about black people every chance they got, but then one day someone actually met them in real life and they lost their anonymity, and found out they were really black.

They should be called out.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:16 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:23 PM
Funny how the right of privacy disappears so quickly for political expediency.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:24 PM   #22
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Funny how the right of privacy disappears so quickly for political expediency.
Here's a question: Should the right to privacy still be expected once someone is lying?
Old 10-05-2005, 06:47 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

We don't recognize a right of privacy in a commercial context (with respect to lying).

Also, I'm not sure we are dealing with a lie. If a politician feels they can gain more support by taking a certain position (even if it conflicts with their private life), is that necessarily a lie?
Old 10-05-2005, 06:50 PM   #24
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Also, I'm not sure we are dealing with a lie. If a politician feels they can gain more support by taking a certain position (even if it conflicts with their private life), is that necessarily a lie?
Yes, because the issues of homosexual marriage basically comes down to homosexuality is wrong. So if they are an active homosexual and not one of these trapped in believing they can change, then they are lying to their public.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:54 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Yes, because the issues of homosexual marriage basically comes down to homosexuality is wrong. So if they are an active homosexual and not one of these trapped in believing they can change, then they are lying to their public.
Can a politician, who is a homosexual, sincerely believe that gay marriage should not be permitted?

We go from their private lives to what they should believe very quickly.

I can understand why many would want to expose the contradiction, but that still leaves the underlying question: is it right?
Old 10-05-2005, 07:12 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:23 PM
Quote:

By "depending on the person" do you mean it is up to the individual to decide what should be known about their sexuality, or does the decision rest with a political group?

And when is it ever appropriate to say "people should know" about a person's homosexuality?

"Depends on the person" --it would have to be someone who makes alot of anti-gay speeches. If someone is going around denouncing gays every chance he or she gets, I'm going to wonder if just what the heck it is about gays that bothers him or her so much. If it's Politician X who's just generally denouncing immorality or whatever, I don't think anything about their private lives should be revealed in public. Roy Moore recently announced his decision to run for governor of Alabama next year. Since he is more of an "immorality" guy and doesn't specifically single out gays, I'm not after details on his personal life. I'll campaign against him on other stuff, because God knows I don't want him as governor.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:21 PM   #27
Jesus Online

Local Time: 07:23 AM
I dont think someone's sexuality is anyone else's business, end of story. I dont think it can be morally used as a weapon in politics, a field where morals often seem forgotten anyway.

We should rather aim toward no need for 'outing', in an ideal world, where the sexuality of an individual is as casually brought forward as that of heteros. But I'm dreaming. Like society will ever accept such common sense!
Old 10-05-2005, 07:33 PM   #28
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Can a politician, who is a homosexual, sincerely believe that gay marriage should not be permitted?

I already answered this. If they believe this, they have to believe that who they are is wrong. Therefore shouldn't have a stance, just like politicians are who are users can't have a stance for harsh punishment for drug users.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:43 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

I already answered this. If they believe this, they have to believe that who they are is wrong. Therefore shouldn't have a stance, just like politicians are who are users can't have a stance for harsh punishment for drug users.
If they don't believe in gay marriage, then they don't believe in who they are? I don't see the true connection (I see the political connection) between who a person is and all of there political beliefs.

You analogy only works if the homosexual individual gets married, yet stands against gay marriage.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:19 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:23 PM
If a gay politician took a stand against gay marriage I would think he might possibly have issues with his sexuality. Given my liberal social views it's pretty unlikely I'd want to vote for the guy in the first place, his sexuality be damned.