The Pill makes women pick bad mates??? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 09:03 AM
The Pill makes women pick bad mates???

This one is weird.
Don't know what to make of it???

The Pill makes women pick bad mates - Women's health - MSNBC.com

Maybe this explains why so many seemingly smart women pick such lousy boyfriends and husbands. Just a thought. Then again maybe it's complete nonsense.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:44 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:03 AM
It isn't that weird, the ancesteral capacity for genetic discrimination is the reason that all of us are here today.

Although being a bastard is a successful mating strategy that involves that complication of consciousness and society in addition to biology, it fills a niche and those heritable personality traits are perpetuated in the population. If any broad strokes can be made it shows dominance and confidence can be valuable in guaranteeing your information gets passd along.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:57 AM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
It isn't that weird, the ancesteral capacity for genetic discrimination is the reason that all of us are here today.

Although being a bastard is a successful mating strategy that involves that complication of consciousness and society in addition to biology, it fills a niche and those heritable personality traits are perpetuated in the population. If any broad strokes can be made it shows dominance and confidence can be valuable in guaranteeing your information gets passd along.
HUH?
Old 08-14-2008, 10:46 AM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 03:03 PM
I don't understand.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:03 AM

That would make sense since I was with an unworthy knob when I was on it Except I went on it after we started seeing each other, so I guess I have no excuse
Old 08-14-2008, 04:38 PM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:03 AM
From the article:

Quote:
Sexy scents
The study involved about 100 women, aged 18 to 35, who chose which of six male body-odor samples they preferred. They were tested at the start of the study when none of the participants were taking contraceptive pills and three months later after 40 of the women had started taking the pill more than two months prior.

For the non-pill users, results didn't show a significant preference for similar or dissimilar MHC odors. When women started taking birth control, their odor preferences changed. These women were much more likely than non-pill users to prefer MHC-similar odors.

"The results showed that the preferences of women who began using the contraceptive pill shifted towards men with genetically similar odors," Roberts said.
The bolded part doesn't make sense to me. I suppose seeking the original study for clarification would help, but this part makes it clear that non-pill taking women don't necessarily have any advantage in choosing mates with dissimilar MHC odours, just that it slightly worsens with taking the pill.

So, it's a crap shoot for non-pill takers, and even more of a crap shoot for pills takers.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:15 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonoman View Post
HUH?
Quote:
I don't understand

Loosely translated, good boys get to heaven (broad artistic license there, Wanderer) but bad boys get into your pants.