The Path to 9/11 - docudrama or propaganda? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2006, 02:27 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500

So I'm guessing the film has no shot at winning this years prestigious Cannes' Palme d'Or.

As opposed to Fahrenheit 9/11 which more even-handedly paints Bush as a pawn of Big Oil/House of Saud/Haliburton who vacations year-round and sat dumbfounded and glassy eyed (with a copy of 'My Pet Goat'), waiting for his handlers to tell him what to do upon learning of the attacks on the WTC.

I wasn't even planning on watching 'The Path to 9/11' but if it's already being attacked this early and this hard by the defenders of Clinton's legacy...well, I'm just going to have to see what all the hubub is about.

but Farenheit 9-11 was made by a well-known pundit and media figure -- he narrated the whole thing, there was no pretense of "docu-drama" about it. it was Moore's guns blazing assault on the Bush administration and it's conduct since 9-11. like it or hate it, that's what it is and it has never pretended to be any different.

comparing these two things is absurd.

a more accurate comparison would be the CBS mini-series on Reagan that portrayed Reagan's complete and total indifference to the AIDS crisis and his obsession with Armageddon, as well a depiction of Nancy as a vindictive valium-addict.

and remember the shreiks and tantrums thrown by the Right?

Old 09-07-2006, 02:37 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

a more accurate comparison would be the CBS mini-series on Reagan[/url] that portrayed Reagan's complete and total indifference to the AIDS crisis and his obsession with Armageddon, as well a depiction of Nancy as a vindictive valium-addict.

That's because Ronal Reagan was THE man.

Old 09-07-2006, 02:39 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

fair enough.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:40 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

fair enough.
Thank you. I try to be fair, and I can see that by you saying "fair enough", you are being fair.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:41 PM   #20
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Old 09-07-2006, 03:44 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Come on, BVS...you might as well admit that you agree with me. I saw that "Honk If You Love Reagan" bumper sticker on your car.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:10 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

The Right may "vent", "overstate", "beat our chests" and even "swagger" when called for, but most assuredly we do not "shriek" or "throw tantrums."

Here's a few reviews I was able to look up.
San Francisco Chronicle
Quote:
Certainly, it's a career landmark, the film that signals his transition from political entertainer to political thinker, from propagandist to idiosyncratic journalist, from colorful gadfly to patriot. If "Bowling for Columbine" was a step, this is a leap, in which Moore vaults past Will Rogers into some territory all his own.
Washington Post
Quote:
If there was any movie to affect the political middle -- those rare Americans who come to each presidential election without a pre-existing opinion -- this may be it.
USA Today
Quote:
Whether the film will change people's minds, or unseat the president, is debatable. What it might do is influence those few still on the fence; what it will do is reinforce the position of those who are anti-Bush.
I understand your point, and I don't wish to start a new debate on Fahrenheit 9/11. But many were certainly trying to pass off Fahrenheit as something other than the propaganda with a purpose (the defeat of Bush in 04) it was. I'm simply comparing two movies with a common topic, not their style of presentation.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:53 PM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I understand your point, and I don't wish to start a new debate on Fahrenheit 9/11. But many were certainly trying to pass off Fahrenheit as something other than the propaganda with a purpose (the defeat of Bush in 04) it was. I'm simply comparing two movies with a common topic, not their style of presentation.

come on ... just admit it was a poor, convenient comparison that would let you get in a dig at Moore ...
Old 09-07-2006, 05:05 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

come on ... just admit it was a poor, convenient comparison that would let you get in a dig at Moore ...
Aw shucks (kicks at dirt), you saw right thru me.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:58 PM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Aw shucks (kicks at dirt), you saw right thru me.

it's okay ... i've been known to toss an elbow to the eye at GWB whenever it's at all possible ...
Old 09-07-2006, 06:38 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:43 AM
When I took my morning milk out of the fridge today, it had gone sour.

I knew straight away who to blame.

It was Clinton's fault!
Old 09-07-2006, 06:43 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

We can compare The Path to 9/11 to Farenheit 911 when one of the three broadcast networks runs Farenheit 911 in prime time without commercials and Scholastic provides study guides for schools on it. Until that happens, there is no basis for comparison.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:57 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
ABC's upcoming five-hour docudrama "The Path to 9/11" is quickly becoming a political cause célèbre.

The network has in recent days made changes to the film, set to air Sunday and Monday, after leading political figures, many of them Democrats, complained about bias and alleged inaccuracies. Meanwhile, a left-wing organization has launched a letter-writing campaign urging the network to "correct" or dump the miniseries, while conservative blogs have launched a vigorous defense.
Well, well, well. I guess this make Democrats and other left-wing interest groups "fascists" for demanding (and getting) changes to the content of a TV program so as to make it less offensive to their sensibilities.

Now who's "censoring 9/11", not of profanity, but of speech and artistic expression. Or is it only censorship when conservatives do it?
And where are the defenders of ABC's freedom of speech?
Old 09-07-2006, 08:58 PM   #29
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Well, well, well. I guess this make Democrats and other left-wing interest groups "fascists" for demanding (and getting) changes to the content of a TV program so as to make it less offensive to their sensibilities.

Now who's "censoring 9/11", not of profanity, but of speech and artistic expression. Or is it only censorship when conservatives do it?
And where are the defenders of ABC's freedom of speech?
You can't see the difference between actual language that happened, and inacuracies that are projected? I'm convinced, you do work for this administration.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:08 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
I'm convinced, you do work for this administration.
Oh come on, admit it now. You do to. I saw on your car, next to your "Honk If You Love Reagan" bumper sticker, a "My Boss Is A Republican President" bumper sticker.