The Passion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
melon said:
I don't know if I mentioned this, but I never winced once in the film. Have I grown desensitized to film violence? All I could do was admire the simulations of violence and gawk at the great makeup job they did. I also then wondered how I could set up a prop to spew blood the same way in a film of my own someday.

Melon

My guess is you're not desensitized as much as you are viewing a movie from a director's point of view (you mentioned somewhere directing theater). So it makes sense to be amazed at the make up job & blood simulation.

oliveu2cm said:
My guess is you're not desensitized as much as you are viewing a movie from a director's point of view (you mentioned somewhere directing theater). So it makes sense to be amazed at the make up job & blood simulation.

Close...I'm working to be a movie/TV director/producer someday. I'm working on an approximately 25 minute piece this summer.

Melon

BonoVoxSupastar said:

So should we start making snuff films documenting every gory detail of violent gay bashings, slave lynchings, document every painful procedure that an AIDS of cancer patient suffers for 5 years just to pay respect for these people's suffering? The torture had such a small role in Jesus life why are we making movies like this? Jesus was not the only person to go through this type of torture, in fact many men have suffered more, should we make films about them? Why focus on this? Now I'm not being cold about Christ's suffering, believe me I will never take that for granted, but what does one gain from this portrayal?

So should we start making snuff films documenting every gory detail of violent gay bashings, slave lynchings, document every painful procedure that an AIDS of cancer patient suffers for 5 years just to pay respect for these people's suffering?

Even the people who do not support this film, non Christians, agnostics, etc. do not minimize Christ suffering.

If Christ were here today he would not minimize the suffering of the people you mentioned. He would be first to give them aid and comfort, without conditions.
Sadly many who profess to believe in him seem indifferent to the tragedies you listed.

Last edited:
deep said:

Even the people who do not support this film, non Christians, agnostics, etc. do not minimize Christ suffering.

I think many question the divinity of Christ here.

vince peal

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Can you not question his divinity and still realize his suffering?

there in lies the problem with the believers, if a person relegates Christ's suffering down to Christ he being a mere mortal this adds insult to injury.

vince peal

vincent said:

there in lies the problem with the believers, if a person relegates Christ's suffering down to Christ he being a mere mortal this adds insult to injury.

vince peal

Maybe I'm being thick here, but how, can you elaborate.

I don't see how either of the verses you've referred to make your argument any clearer. :( Maybe I'm being stupid, but could you possibly just a post a sentence or two to explain a bit more?

Forget it. If you aren't going to elaborate on your comment then you are wasting my time. I understand the versus, I'm glad you know your Bible, but these versus don't answer the question of if one relegates Christ's suffering down to Christ he being a mere mortal this adds insult to injury?

If you aren't going to answer then please don't waste our time.

Matthew 15

8" 'These people honor me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me.

this does not describe people who accept Jesus suffering AND have reahed no conclusion about his "divinity".

It better describes someone who professes to be a believer BUT does not follow his teachings i. e. caring about the suffering of the aforementioned
" violent gay bashings, slave lynchings, document every painful procedure that an AIDS of cancer patient suffers for 5 years "

Okay, you can quote the Bible with the best of them. But I still don't think any of the verses you've quoted clarify your original comments. I'm sure people would understand where you're coming from a bit more if you'd just write a sentence or two in your own words. But maybe that's just me. :)

et tu bruno

VInce,

If you really are a new? member posting cryptic responses amuses very few of us and contributes little to the discussion.

Okay, you can quote the Bible with the best of them.
He does not quote.

Posting the actual verses would be a little better. But, would most likely lead to someone saying we live in a pluralistic society where all points of view should be respected.

This is an international discussion board with many members of different faiths and or beliefs.

Last edited:
How sad...

STATESBORO, Georgia (AP) -- A couple who got into a dispute over a theological point after watching "The Passion of the Christ" were arrested after the argument turned violent.

The two left the movie theater debating whether God the Father in the Holy Trinity was human or symbolic, and the argument heated up when they got home, Melissa Davidson said.

"It was the dumbest thing we've ever done," she said.

Davidson, 34, and her husband, Sean Davidson, 33, were charged with simple battery on March 11 after the two called police on each other. They were released on $1,000 bail.

According to a police report, Melissa Davidson suffered injuries on her arm and face, while her husband had a scissors stab wound on his hand and his shirt was ripped off. He also allegedly punched a hole in a wall.

"Really, it was kind of a pitiful thing, to go to a movie like that and fight about it. I think they missed the point," said Gene McDaniel, chief sheriff's deputy.

Did Mel Gibson?s "The Passion of the Christ" accurately portray the scourging and crucifixion of Christ?

Yes ? but Christ?s suffering was even worse than the violence depicted by the film, says Dr. Alex F. Metherell of Laguna Beach, Calif., in a comprehensive and powerful review titled ?The Most Amazing Love Story of All Time.?

See the full article here.

While I have some issues with the obviously biased comments of the author (the concluding line--"There will always be some who do not like the movie ? but they probably didn?t like The
Book either."--being especially arrogant), the violence was the one thing in the movie that I did like. Gibson's legacy with this film should be that he is the first person to depict Jesus' death with even a relative amount of accuracy.

My criticism generally has to be the unnecessarily long presence of Satan (not Biblically supported), the fact that the film assumes a high amount of knowledge before actually seeing the film, as they skip over lots of names (a cinematic no-no, generally speaking), and the fact that plot is virtually non-existent.

In terms of morbidity, some of the "blame" has to be cast on Catholicism, which traditionally defines the Passion even more narrowly than Gibson portrayed it, as shown in the Stations of the Cross, which start with Jesus being condemned to death and ending with Jesus being laid in the tomb. If you do pay attention to the film, you'll realize that Gibson is retelling the Passion, according to these traditional Catholic guidelines.

With that in mind, I can, at least, respect the film a bit more. I mostly wish that the film didn't have so much ideological baggage surrounding it (i.e., screenings organized by proselytizing church groups and charges of anti-Semitism), so that people could potentially judge this film on its merits, rather than being judged as being a good or bad Christian on how you respond to it.

After all, such judgments and arrogant comments run antithetical to true Christianity, leaving whatever you feel about this film a moot point.

Melon

A local Baptist minister wrote a piece of hysterical garbage in a local newspaper taking swipes at anyone who didn't like this movie, saying they "have no room for Jesus in their lives". Honestly. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, this is a case of taking show business too seriously, which is a problem in our society IMHO. Show business can't exactly replace the Bible, prayer or church services. Is this what they want? I think pieces like this are pure rubbish.

Last edited:
I just watched this movie. I am in awe. You have to truly to be made of stone to not feel a thing when you watch this movie. You don't just watch this movie, though, you FEEL it. It is such a great experience. I will never view christianity the same way. I am more thankfull than before. I didn't know whether to smile or cry while watching how someone loved me so much that he gave his life for me. It was just beautiful.

"Amazing grace...I was lost, I am found...."

Last edited:
A Different Perspective

Looking at the relationship between the colonized and the colonizer.....

The Gospel According to Mel Gibson

Is there, beneath the pro-imperial bias, an unstable colonial imagery in the film, hinted rather than stated, not yet able to be stated? Perhaps it is of an innocent young man, white, hunted down by bloodthirsty natives, betrayed by sympathetic but weak politicians, who know he's innocent but wash their hands of his fate, and he is crucified; but he will rise up and take his revenge. On whom? On the natives? On the politicians? On the go-betweens? Is this the story of the Gospels; is this the story of Rambo? Is this the story of the American G.I.s in Iraq? And to whom is this fantasy addressed? And what about "the Jews." What about the Jewish leaders in Washington and their colonial connections to Israel? Where does it all fit in this story?

ummmmmmmm NB, are u assuming they think it's a threat to Islam????
Reality is, though i really appreciated the movie...... As Muslims, we believe that no one could ever give Justice in the representation of any of the God sent Prophets..... This movie, though I really got emotional while watching it... and i was extremely fascinated by it..... It in no way is a true depiction of what really happend..... that is why we see it as being dangerous...not b/c it's a threat to Islam, but because it doesn't give justice to Jesus or God.....

I have to say though, i loved how this movie used Aramaic... Very interesting... Mel is surely an interesting man...

anyways, peace out.

Back
Top Bottom