The Passion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's story's from the Gospel of John. The writer doesn't say what Jesus wrote, just that he drew the line and wrote soemthing. Which is one reason why I feel that though John is the only gospel to include this story, this is an authentic story of Jesus. It reads like a bit of eyewitness testimony, especially in how what was written wasn't determined. If it were just an illustration byu the author or a created tradition the message in the dirt would have been given.

Anyhow. I personally didn't see this version of the Passion narrative as too skewed toa particular point of view. The only things I really noticed were the capital M Mother for Mary, denoting that this is a traditional Catholic film and the bits with the personification of Satan and teh demon children. Overall I found it a fairly neutral account. It is an account which focuses on the suffering again a factor that makes it quite Catholic.

Basically my changes as I said above would be to pull out the points where the violence just becomes ridicuously excessive (though at the same time, only a truly brutal scourging can account for Jesus swift death - I don't buy the Father had mercy on him argument, the point was to be full human and to live as one of us right to the end, there could be no punches pulled) cut the demon children, and pare back the Satan moments but I actually found a fair ammount of the personification useful, just a tad too much. I'd have more elements of Jesus life and ministry shown and more of a focus on the resurrection. Maybe up to the point where he meets with Mary Magdalane. That for me is such a powerful moment in the accounts. I'd also change teh trial before the Sanheidrin to something more accurate (a private kangaroo court in Caiphas house - though the priest asking where the rest of the council was a nice touch in the movie) to the gospels.

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:
I've heard Gibson won't be attending the Academy Awards ceremony tonight for fear of being booed.

Cry me a river. More controversy = more money. Suck it up Mel.

$$$$

$117 million opening? Huge money is being made here, folks.

I'm not saying he made it for money. But I believe what is happening now is increasing controversy in the name of more money being made. Are we really arguing Hollywood is an altruistic place?

anitram said:
Are we really arguing Hollywood is an altruistic place?

Good Lord, no!

Gibson's motivations to make this movie seem more spiritual than profit driven.

It also addresses issues Hollywood would rather ignore.

I don't think Mel would have gotten booed if he had attended the Oscars. They would never boo someone who made a film that is making this much money. In Hollywood $$ is the overriding factor.

I don't know why Mel should be booed for making this movie. If anyone deserved to get booed at the Oscars it was the people who were involved in the "Gigli" fiasco. Mel's film is controversial but at least it seems to be well-made and effective.

:tsk:

Tacky. Especially the nail pendant. Looks like something you'd see in The Onion.

Products2.jpg

You're right, of course. I watched a "making-of" special on The Passion this weekend, and they were making a big deal about the special effects used for the nailing scene. When I saw it on the site it triggered my memory of the show I watched, and made the nail pendant seem more like movie memorabilia than a religious symbol. That being right next to the Official The Passion of the Christ coffee mug, which is just movie memorabilia, just didn't sit well with me.

Yeah, there's a lot of stuff that gets sold in Christian book stores that's really tacky. I mean if they can stampa short Bible verse on an object it'll be on sale. Annoys me to no end.

My complaint has nothign to with religious expression and everything to do with cheap commericalism. Most of the stuff sold in my local Christian bookstore is useless trash. Stuff to clutter your house with. "Ooh I'll pay extra cause it's got a Bible verse on it." A Christian home is one with Christians living in it, not one filled with crappy merchandise. Sorry, pet peeve of mine.

I can see where you are coming from.

Many people use these things in an attempt to evangelize:

"Why the heck are you wearing a NAIL around your neck? :eyebrow: " - opens the conversation to talk about X - the movie and how you were affected by it, your personal relationship with Christ, whatever.

I just went and saw it by myself.

and though I have issues with some elements concerning pilates portrayal and the addition of demonic children, I thought it was a very moving movie and I was trying incredibly hard not to cry.
the most touching moments were when he flashed back. I mean...this guy was an amazing guy. I would like to see a movie on just his teachings. Don't even go to the crucifixition stuff..we've seen that alot. Just a movie about his beautiful teachings.

Love each other as I loved you

I mean, I've never read more powerful teachings on love. Truely truely moving.

Last edited:
Blacksword said:
My complaint has nothign to with religious expression and everything to do with cheap commericalism.

"My father's house should be a house of prayer...but you have made it a den of thieves!"

sd

Blacksword said:
My complaint has nothign to with religious expression and everything to do with cheap commericalism. Most of the stuff sold in my local Christian bookstore is useless trash. Stuff to clutter your house with. "Ooh I'll pay extra cause it's got a Bible verse on it." A Christian home is one with Christians living in it, not one filled with crappy merchandise. Sorry, pet peeve of mine.

I know what you mean. This can go overboard. But someone's got to sell us important things like Bibles, and saints' medals, rosaries and other things to us Catholics. Moslems buy Korans, Islamic clothing, prayer rugs, etc, etc, Jews wear Stars of David, etc, etc. Of course there are abuses.

Back
Top Bottom