The Passion - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2004, 12:16 AM   #31
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:03 PM
A very interesting interview, I'm really looking forward to this movie. I loved the part with the guy that said, "Well what if I was a martian...."

And Mel is so right - it's not his job to tell the rest of the story - I hope it will spur people to do their own searching...

Old 02-17-2004, 12:30 AM   #32
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:03 PM
Did anyone catch Mel Gibson's interview tonight on PrimeTime Live?

I thought it was very interesting and I was relieved to see that the quotes I have been reading from Gibson seemed to be grossly out of context...he strikes me as devout, but not fanatical and certainly not unintelligent.

While I can understand the concern, I do resent that the Anti-Defamation guy...who's name escapes me...snuck into a showing, saw people crying and immediately interpreted that as a sign of possible anti-Semitism backlash. That makes me mad--you're leader of the Anti-Defamation league and you promptly make a giant assumption. Isn't that something like...I don't know...a stereotype?

I've been following AICN's reviews, who have ranged from athiests to Jews and even the athiests have reported being very moved by the film--which can really poke some holes in the above spokesman's (how I wish I could remember his name!) statement.

I think what this controversy says most is, the majority of people ---and probably Americans most of all--are horribly uneducated about religion. ALL religions. I almost think it ought to be mandatory that college students take courses dealing in Christianity, Judaism, Islam--understanding religion is crucial, especially in a time like ours of a smaller and smaller world and rampant religious fundamentalism of all types.

I have been wishing for a long time that my college offered world religion courses. I know at my school, the case is that someone always gets pissed off because they "don't believe in x" and "aren't represented." This came up at Christmas when students complained about how office decorations weren't representing them. Our society just tries to please too many and it ends up becoming"Fine, then we just won't have it at all."
And now people are just embarressingly ignorant.

Whew...I went on for awhile there. 2 posts for 1.

Old 02-17-2004, 12:34 AM   #33
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Well I had hopes for this film, but now I'm not so sure...

BEVERLY HILLS, California People have been saying for years that Scott Stapp likes to write songs for Jesus, and they're right. The Creed singer has put together four songs for Mel Gibson's controversial new movie "The Passion of the Christ."

http://www.vh1.com/news/articles/148...headlines=true
I think the key word there is "offers."

Stapp is King of BS. Somehow, I really doubt Gibson is eager to add a bombastic rock track to his (very personal) movie.

Just look at what he says about Creed after all...that band is *so* done from roadie stories I've heard.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:55 AM   #34
Refugee

Local Time: 11:03 AM
I'm completely void of religious beliefs so I don't care about the contreversy about this movie
Old 02-17-2004, 08:25 AM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

That was an interesting interview. I truly admire someone who can acknowledge his faults and failings like that. I completely understand what he said about where he was in his life. If you've never been there, it's difficult to understand.

I think if more people humbled themselves before God in that way, the world might be a better place for it.

I agree completely w/ what you said AvsGirl about colleges and religious education. I went to a Catholic college, but they offered courses about many different religions, and I was so grateful to be able to take some. In fact they were my favorite courses.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:49 AM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Bunbury
I'm completely void of religious beliefs so I don't care about the contreversy about this movie
Will you go see the movie?
Old 02-17-2004, 12:30 PM   #37
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:03 PM
I saw about half of the interview and found Gibson to be candid and articulate. I had heard some horror stories about "traditionalist Catholicism," and while I'm sure his take on it is somewhat biased as well, it doesn't appear to be as bad as it seemed. I probably won't see the movie, at least not in theaters, but I definitely believe people should reserve their judgment for when and if they see it--and remember that, even though it is about Jesus, it is still, at the end of the day, a movie. Nothing more, nothing less.

Join Amnesty.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:46 PM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie
Dread, your school seems even stricter than my university, which I didn't think was humanly possible. People always think I'm making things up when I tell them about the rules my college had. Though the church I went to in high school was like the situation you described. The kids there weren't allowed to go to the prom, Catholics were all going to hell, kissing someone before your wedding day was fornication, there was an entire sermon on the evils of Titanic alone, and several on any movie rated above G (they had a binder of pastor-approved films in the church library and you were supposed to make sure the movie was on that list before you saw it).
If kissing were illegal...I was doomed Freshman year!
Old 02-17-2004, 01:11 PM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways
I am looking forward to seeing this film. Just to preface, I am Catholic, a history major, and a high school teacher. My historian sensabilities tell me the Bible is not to be trusted as a good primary source. My Catholic upbringing clashes with that. Anyway, a teacher I work with is Jewish and she was making me feel very uncomfortable about wanting to see this film. She is very up in arms over it. I don't know...it was like she was insulted that I would want to see such a film...
actually, the bible makes for a great primary source. Perhaps not the theological issues so much, but the geography and historical events are well respresented. when I did ancient history my professor, who was an atheist, used the bible as a source and recommended we all have it

humans have motives for slightly changing things when it comes to matters of doctrine and such, but they would have very few motives to change anything about the actual history.
Old 02-17-2004, 03:15 PM   #40
Acrobat

Local Time: 07:03 PM
I'll throw in another word that the Bible makes a pretty solid primary source. Well the New Testament at least. Though based on my knowledge of teh region I'd say there's nothing in the Old Testament which greatly contradicts other historical documents and archaeology, in a general sense, though Ihaven't done as much reading in the millenium where the Old testament occurs as I would like.

With regards to the NT, Paul's letters are excellent primary sources, the first of which was written in 49 AD and he died around 62-63 AD, so all of his letters were written within 40 years of Jeus death. The Gospels were all written between 70 and 80 AD for teh Synoptics (Matthew, mark and Luke, though Luke may be as late as 90) and John was written around the year 100. This is on par or somewhat better than a lot of primary Roman historical works. And the writer of Luke and Acts either was a friend of Paul or had access to the travel journals of someone who did because there are two sections, in Acts where the writer uses we, most notably the final section where Paul is sent off to Rome. Thus the writer of that gospel quite possibly had access to the Apostles or to others who knew Jesus first hand. And the mere fact that the Church chose to include four different accounts of Jesus life increases the credibility of the material in the NT. Instead of one official harmonized version of who Jesus was we get 4 different images of who Jesus was providing a much more accurate overall picture than any single harmonized account could.
Old 02-17-2004, 04:51 PM   #41
Refugee

I was suprised at how articulate and confident Mel was in his interview. He knew his stuff and has the courage to speak about it. I dont for one minute think he is anti-semitic and that he made a anti-semitic movie on pursope. People shouldnt fell that Jesus's death was the Jews fault. They were critical in Christian faith and we should respect what they did as they were a large part of creating the Christian religion.

I will probably see this movie, not only for the religious overtones but the movie and the story. You can agree with it or not but it is a wonderful story!
Old 02-17-2004, 05:08 PM   #42
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:03 PM

My professors warned us that the Bible should not be trusted as a primary source. For example, there are different versions of the Bible and the translations are differnent for each. My professor for a class on Ancient Rome was most adament about the Bible. We studied its passages for context only, not as fact. I think the Bible is a bit too "mystical" for a good historical primary source.
Old 02-17-2004, 05:37 PM   #43
War Child

That man BELIEVES.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:33 AM   #44
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Will you go see the movie?
I'll rent it when it comes out just to see what the big deal was about.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:35 AM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways
My professors warned us that the Bible should not be trusted as a primary source. For example, there are different versions of the Bible and the translations are differnent for each. My professor for a class on Ancient Rome was most adament about the Bible. We studied its passages for context only, not as fact. I think the Bible is a bit too "mystical" for a good historical primary source.
Primary sources don't have to be unbiased, though. If they did, historians wouldn't have any primary sources, since every source is biased or not completely trustworthy in some way.